Windows 10: Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

Discus and support Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My windows 10 user name is "stan". There is a folder under the folder \user\ named \stan\. And there is a folder \stan\ at the same level as \user\.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stanhilliard, May 14, 2018.

1. Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

My windows 10 user name is "stan". There is a folder under the folder \user\ named \stan\. And there is a folder \stan\ at the same level as \user\. Both \stan\s contain exactly the same sub-folders and files. File Explorer shows the locations on the C: drive:

\stan\
    \user\stan\

Why does this configuration exist?
    Should I do something about it?
    If so, what?

:)

stanhilliard, May 14, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, May 30, 2018
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

1. Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\? - Similar Threads - Why second user

2. A second user account was created by itself.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A second user account was created by itself.: Hello, I have a very strange issue that I simply can not figure out. My system has only one user account which has full admin. I set up netplwiz to simply log into windows without any authentication needed (yeah, yeah, I know, but the computer remains at home in a locked...
  3. 2 User accounts but 1 has no folder in Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    2 User accounts but 1 has no folder in Users: Created another user account, called Mac, also an admin, in case I need it. In User Accounts when I click on 'manage another account' it then shows 2nd account, Mac. But under C:\Users there is only main Dave folder and Public. Why would there be no folder for Mac? Can't...
  4. second user

in Windows 10 Customization
    second user: How do i create a second user account on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-user/bbdcb9d8-adba-4f75-ae19-e43a5f54494e
  5. Why do I have 3 user accounts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do I have 3 user accounts?: Why do I have 3 user accounts? I don't recall deliberately setting them up and the 2 excess ones are taking up valuable SSD room. Can I just delete the two with the numbers (2 & 3) and keep the main one with no number at the end? Will I lose anything? I don't know how they...
  6. I have fewer user folders than user accounts.

I have fewer user folders than user accounts.: I have fewer user folders than user accounts. How do I get the missing user folder? Windows 10 Home on Dell deskltop 109223
  7. Renaming User Accounts and their folders

Renaming User Accounts and their folders: In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do it for me. The point is, all the software I've collected, executables and all, is stored in my present Windows 7 folder:...
  8. Unknown second user account

Unknown second user account: I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 about a week ago. An unknown second user has started appearing on the password log-in screen. It has the name 'smmosbvjntf'. It is easily removed from the user account box but usually reappears on the log-in screen within 24 hours. I...
  9. Deleting second user account that isn't showing in User Accounts

Deleting second user account that isn't showing in User Accounts: Win 10 Pro 1607, single user desktop PC. Yesterday, I changed the password on my Windows account. After that, when I booted, Windows prompted me for a password. The thing is, though, that it showed two accounts, let's call them Sam and Sam Jones. Sam Jones is the...
  10. User accounts and folders

User accounts and folders: I am wondering whats the best owner account to use on user folders. Currently it was either system or unknown. I have been having trouble with a game not saving every time I saved which is why I thought of this. However I have now changed the owner on each user folder...