Windows 10: Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

Discus and support Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My windows 10 user name is "stan". There is a folder under the folder \user\ named \stan\. And there is a folder \stan\ at the same level as \user\.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stanhilliard, May 14, 2018.

1. Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

My windows 10 user name is "stan". There is a folder under the folder \user\ named \stan\. And there is a folder \stan\ at the same level as \user\. Both \stan\s contain exactly the same sub-folders and files. File Explorer shows the locations on the C: drive:

\stan\
    \user\stan\

Why does this configuration exist?
    Should I do something about it?
    If so, what?

:)

stanhilliard, May 14, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, May 30, 2018
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\?

1. Why do I have a second user-account folder outside of \user\? - Similar Threads - Why second user

2. Why do I have two users in Users?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have two users in Users?: Hello,I have a brand new laptop and installed windows 11 on it. I need to use InteliJ IDEA on the laptop but the program does not work properly as it stores some of its component in the first user. I have been trying to solve the problem but was not able to solve.If there is...
  3. Why do I have two users in Users?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I have two users in Users?: Hello,I have a brand new laptop and installed windows 11 on it. I need to use InteliJ IDEA on the laptop but the program does not work properly as it stores some of its component in the first user. I have been trying to solve the problem but was not able to solve.If there is...
  4. Why do I have so many "users" folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do I have so many "users" folders?: UsersAdministratorDefaultemail namethen:I have one with my name Nancy...and then one with my name and Nancy...DESKTOP-...numbers here.I also have roaming user names. Why is it called roaming and what files go in there? Do I want it?...
  5. Why do I have so many "users" folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have so many "users" folders?: UsersAdministratorDefaultemail namethen:I have one with my name Nancy...and then one with my name and Nancy...DESKTOP-...numbers here.I also have roaming user names. Why is it called roaming and what files go in there? Do I want it?...
  6. Why do I have so many "users" folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. second user account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    second user account?: How do i remove shortcut from other users start screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-user-account/93f15127-924f-43c4-81be-367a7c6d8a4f
  8. I have 7 users in my User folder. Why?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I have 7 users in my User folder. Why?: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.720) [img] I'm not sure how I royally screwed this up. I created a new user associated with my new email and didn't like the fact my username was expressed differently in the Users folder so I tried changing the name via the registry and...
  9. Why do I have 3 user accounts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do I have 3 user accounts?: Why do I have 3 user accounts? I don't recall deliberately setting them up and the 2 excess ones are taking up valuable SSD room. Can I just delete the two with the numbers (2 & 3) and keep the main one with no number at the end? Will I lose anything? I don't know how they...
  10. I have fewer user folders than user accounts.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I have fewer user folders than user accounts.: I have fewer user folders than user accounts. How do I get the missing user folder? Windows 10 Home on Dell deskltop 109223