Windows 10: Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often?

Discus and support Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often? In less than 12 months I have been asked to change my pin when logging on about 6/7... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Nicola_83, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Nicola_83 Win User

Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often?

Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often? In less than 12 months I have been asked to change my pin when logging on about 6/7 times - there will come point where I don't have anything else to change it to. The message we get is, 'Your organisation requires you to change your pin' - that is after a successful log in.

TIA

:)

Nicola_83, Nov 15, 2020

2. pin log in

Hi Keith,

You can change your PIN by following the steps below:

• Open Settings (keyboard shortcut: Windows + I) > Accounts >
      Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, click on Change.
    • Enter your current PIN, enter and confirm the new PIN, then click OK.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often?

Unable to log into laptop after changing password.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it could be and we appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to work this issue. However, in order to get clarity, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Were you using the “Old email (account) address” regardless of not using laptop?
    2. Are both the email addresses linked?
    3. Could you please let us know, where exactly you get prompt for the password for the “Old email address” in the desktop?
    4. What is the exact error message you get when you try to log in to laptop?
    5. Does your desktop has two user profiles?

In the meantime, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

You would need to have internet connection in laptop, so that the password change could get updated and it seems that the laptop is not connected to the internet, we would suggest you to connect Ethernet cable to laptop and then
    try logging in to the laptop with the new password for the old email address.

We await your response.

Manjunath_H, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often?

1. Why do I have to change my pin to log onto my laptop so often? - Similar Threads - Why change pin

2. I can’t log onto my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can’t log onto my laptop: I can’t log onto my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-log-onto-my-laptop/04bda975-08dd-4f9b-b794-feaa49467049
  3. I can’t log onto my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can’t log onto my laptop: I can’t log onto my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-log-onto-my-laptop/04bda975-08dd-4f9b-b794-feaa49467049
  4. Why do I have to keep changing my pin number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have to keep changing my pin number?: I have had my new laptop for about 8 months now, and I would say that every six weeks or so, I get a message saying "your organization requires a new pin" and I am forced to change my pin number. this has been extremely annoying to me, as this is my personal computer and not...
  5. Why do I have to keep changing my pin number?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I have to keep changing my pin number?: I have had my new laptop for about 8 months now, and I would say that every six weeks or so, I get a message saying "your organization requires a new pin" and I am forced to change my pin number. this has been extremely annoying to me, as this is my personal computer and not...
  6. I have to change my pin far to often among other things

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have to change my pin far to often among other things: I am sick of being constantly told that my institution requires me to change my pin, i don't even have an institution? I have tried multiple command prompts and such from these forums but it never works so if someone has an up to date solution that would be great. Also, i...
  7. Why do I have to change my pin?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why do I have to change my pin?: I am told that "my organisation" requires me to change my PIN. This is my own PC, not any organisation's. This is the 3rd time it has forced me to change my pin and it is almost every month or two. It is getting very frustrating. I saw anothether question that was the same...
  8. Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.

Can't log onto a laptop, no PIN options.: Hi My wife has a ASUS laptop and yesterday the computer crashed on her. When she turned it back on, on the sign-in screen, she was asked for a password. Unfortunately, she doesn't know any of her Microsoft account passwords (she never uses them). She has always used a...
  9. Why has my password to log onto my computer been changed?

Why has my password to log onto my computer been changed?: I had a specific password to log onto my computer and only my computer and now it has been changed and I can only access it by using my email address and password and I want it changed back for security purposes....
  10. Why do I need to scan so often

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why do I need to scan so often: I am directed by Windows Defender to scan my computer - that it is not safe. A few hours later it tells me the same thing, even though I have not used the conmputer...