Windows 10: Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart

Discus and support Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every time I have a restart on my PC I lose all my shortcut Icons and newly created favorites. Where can I find them?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Old Nole 28, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart

Every time I have a restart on my PC I lose all my shortcut Icons and newly created favorites. Where can I find them?

:)

Old Nole 28, Apr 15, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Michael Win User

Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart

Remove yellow/blue sheild icon from shortcuts

After upgrading to Windows 10, some desktop shortcuts have UAC shield icons. Is it possible to remove them?

Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart [​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a solution...
    Launch the shortcuts via CMD:

1. Right-click the shortcut to Properties
    2. Click Change Icon, then click OK when its window pops up (necessary step to avoid losing the icon)
    3. Add the following, plus a space, to the beginning of the Target field, leaving the existing path at the end:
      Code:
      Code:
      cmd /c start ""
    I had previously solved this by editing a system icon file, but that method doesn't seem to be working as of update 1607, plus it was a lot more trouble.

Michael, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart

1. Why do I lose most of my shortcut icons on a restart - Similar Threads - Why lose shortcut

2. Why do I lose personalization every time I download updates or restart my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I lose personalization every time I download updates or restart my computer: All my personal settings are gone when I download updates or start my computer. This has been happening since Dec 2,2023 when Microsoft logged me off the internet because the system did not recognize me....
  3. Why do I lose personalization every time I download updates or restart my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I lose personalization every time I download updates or restart my computer: All my personal settings are gone when I download updates or start my computer. This has been happening since Dec 2,2023 when Microsoft logged me off the internet because the system did not recognize me....
  4. Most icons gone after resetting icon cache and restarting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most icons gone after resetting icon cache and restarting.: I was having some issues with some file thumbnails and I followed a guide provided on a microsoft forum to reset the icon cache of my windows install by deleting all "iconcache*.db" files in windows' explorer folder.After a restart, I've noticed that most icons for most of my...
  5. Why do all my icons and shortcuts disappear after i disconnect d drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do all my icons and shortcuts disappear after i disconnect d drive.: Just started happening and I've tried moving the files over to my C drive but didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-all-my-icons-and-shortcuts-disappear-after/9cef1435-3ab6-4742-93cd-7de9b112930b
  6. Why do I lose all my settings and files everytime I restart my PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do I lose all my settings and files everytime I restart my PC in Windows 10: I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 desktop with Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.959. Every time I restart it I lose all my files, documents, and pictures and all my settings. My browser default was Firefox and it is reset to Edge. I had DropBox and it is gone. None of my...
  7. Most of my desk top icons do not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Most of my desk top icons do not open: I have had this problem for several weeks and have contacted HP, Microsoft and on line sites. No one as given me a permanent cure. Only a few of my desktop icons will open. I cannot access my start menu or use the search box. No one seems to get the problem fixed. Can...
  8. Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?: when I push the button to restart my computer ,for an upgrade on one of my apps that needs to restart to install, i will lose all my contents of my folders like pictures , documents, downloads . I need help to fix this problem....
  9. Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart: MODS.... PLEASE DO NOT MERGE THIS WITH MY ORIGINAL THREAD. I RECEIVED NO HELP THAT WORKED AND IF YOU DO MERGE IT, THIS WILL GET BURIED AND MY QUESTION WILL NOT GET RESOLVED. Windows 10 Home version 1803 OS build 17134.285 When I reboot or restart, some of my Start Menu...
  10. Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.: path: C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\ For some reason any Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon. The first shortcut looks correct, but after a restart, it becomes blank even with: Properties> Change icon. 115123