Windows 10: Why do i need so many visual C++ and net framework versions?

Discus and support Why do i need so many visual C++ and net framework versions? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 4 different visual c++ programs installed on my computer, as well as two version of net framework enabled in windows features. My question is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cerawy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Cerawy Win User

Why do i need so many visual C++ and net framework versions?

I have 4 different visual c++ programs installed on my computer, as well as two version of net framework enabled in windows features. My question is, why do i need 6 different programs for gaming and browsing? I found that if i uninstall these programs, they come back again after some time and its annoying.

:)

Cerawy, Feb 4, 2018
  2. duzza Win User

PC Suite will not install

Hi, thanks for your help but it didn't work....my computer seems to have errors with even getting the 3.5 net framework service pack. I have Visual C++ 2005 redistributable and .Net Framework v1.0.3705

duzza, Feb 4, 2018
  3. assassins creed Brotherhood

Hi,

i upgrade to win 10 and want to play Assassins creed Brotherhood but when i start game i see this error "Ordinal 1 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\program files (x86)\ Ubisoft\ assassin's creed brotherhood\winmm.asi".

I try set compatibility with win 8, 7 and xp and nothing work. Try reinstal game and DirectX, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 but nothing
    work.

Thank you for any advice.

MiroslavVytiska, Feb 4, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Cerawy,
    You shouldn't uninstall them and as you've found out they just come back. Different programs install/use different versions of C++ Redistributable and the same goes for Net Framework, but it only has a couple of versions.

Note: I have 16 of the C++ Redistributables, from 2008-2017 for both x86 and x64 *Smile

Eagle51, Feb 4, 2018
  5. Helmut Win User
    Is that all. Most people will have a larger number than that.
    Visual C++ have 7 versions. .NET Framework serves a similar purpose.

They are installed by Applications that require a certain version to work. Relatively small so why worry about it.

They come back because some Applications requires them.
    Stop fiddling about, you are sobotaging your applications.

Helmut, Feb 4, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I don't know much about Windows coding but surely IMO all an application needs to do is to concentrate on the actual task in hand and then for things like the GUI bits simply call the standard API. --or perhaps programming is taught differently these days.

I was brought up on things like MVC (Model View Controller) where you separate out the business / use bit from the actual GUI stuff -- that way you don't need to change the .Net or visual C ++ stuff each time -- but what does an old fool like me know about coding !!.

Model-View-Controller

cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2018
  7. Nobody has time to code things properly these days.
    Just look at the dodgy patches for all versions of Windows over the past few years.

Everything is done using Management's interpretation of "Agile".
    "The deadline is all that matters. If the code actually works, that's a bonus." *Sad

lehnerus2000, Feb 5, 2018
  8. Why do i need so many visual C++ and net framework versions?

The Visual C runtimes are the standard APIs. This is similar to how a new version of glibc is released every 6 months.

However, with every version of Visual Studio and every bug/security fix, MS adds/removes/modifies APIs. This potentially breaks backwards compatibility (whereas glibc tries to maintain backwards compatibility - though this isn't always successful either), hence the need for multiple versions of the C runtimes.

PolarNettles, Feb 5, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

I still can't really see why one should need so many versions -- for example assuming the business logic in the program doesn't change -- i.e Read data, do something with it and then get / display stuff for user for next action.

Surely the call to a screen / window etc should be standard. OK in the new GUI's you can have resolution, colours etc - but an old program would simply use the basic parameters while newer stuff could make use of new facilties in the hardware.

I'm sure the basic interface needn't actually change much - but you can still run some really old fashioned Visual basic programs even on Windows 10 using simple MVC type of stuff with basic Window / GUI handling.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2018
  10. The basic APIs do not change across VS version but the ABI can. But it looks like MS has started to address this with VS 2017 - C++ Binary Compatibility between Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017 | Microsoft Docs

Why didn't they do this before? Maybe they had to do something to justify getting organizations to move to each new version of VS. Otherwise parts of the org that didn't need the new features could stay on the old VS and still be compatible with the parts of the org that did move to the new VS.

Attachment 175896

PolarNettles, Feb 5, 2018
  11. I have got 24, thanks to Visual C++ Runtime Installer. Very usefull, so there would be no libraries missing.

TairikuOkami, Feb 5, 2018
  12. Cerawy Win User
    Is there a universal version of c++ you can install so you dont need so many different versions installed?

I prefer to have my control panel reserved for my own programs that i use on a daily basis.

Cerawy, Feb 6, 2018
  13. Cerawy Win User

I just did a clean install of all my visual c++ programs.

Surprisingly, i only got one program that requires visual c++ on my computer.

Dolphin emulator requires microsoft visual c++ 2015 (x64) 14.0.23918.

Also, all my games and programs seems to work without net framework 3.5/4.7, so i have disabled that.

I'd still like to hide visual c++ from my programs.

Cerawy, Feb 6, 2018
  14. Cerawy Win User
    I solved this by using CCleaner to hide microsoft visual c++ from the control panel by right clicking on it and clicking delete. This will hide microsoft visual c++ from the control panel, but it will still be installed and my programs still works.

Marking this as solved.

Cerawy, Feb 6, 2018
  15. Bat 1 Win User
    Thanks for the link. The download will help when I program Gaming Rigs in the future. I don't have the 2015 and 2017 Runtimes on my laptop so I only have 15 at this time.

Bat 1, Feb 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Why do i need so many visual C++ and net framework versions? - Similar Threads - Why need many

2. Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?: Something is wrong with my Windows, I have noticed that some applications or games do not work correctly or take too long to load,mainly emulators or games that are a little old from 2008-2009, upon investigation I realized that there is some type of bug withapplications or...
  3. Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?: Something is wrong with my Windows, I have noticed that some applications or games do not work correctly or take too long to load,mainly emulators or games that are a little old from 2008-2009, upon investigation I realized that there is some type of bug withapplications or...
  4. Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buggy Net Framework/Visual C++?: Something is wrong with my Windows, I have noticed that some applications or games do not work correctly or take too long to load, mainly emulators or games that are a little old from 2008-2009, upon investigation I realized that there is some type of bug with applications or...
  5. Do I need all these versions of Microsoft visual C++

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need all these versions of Microsoft visual C++: I have an Inspirion Aio 2330 second hand, when I got it the hard drive had died so I bought a new on and figured out how to put the new os on it win 10 and I sorta just downloaded ever driver from the dell or Microsoft site that said it was compatible with my PC just in case...
  6. Do I need all these versions of Microsoft visual C++

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need all these versions of Microsoft visual C++: I have an Inspirion Aio 2330 second hand, when I got it the hard drive had died so I bought a new on and figured out how to put the new os on it win 10 and I sorta just downloaded ever driver from the dell or Microsoft site that said it was compatible with my PC just in case...
  7. so many Visual C copies?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    so many Visual C copies?: How can we identify which Visual C files can be removed?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-many-visual-c-copies/3f8e4cdb-72f5-4e5d-8f93-e6e5e6c512a5
  8. Many .NET Framework versions

Many .NET Framework versions: These are the .NET Framework versions I have in my system. Can I tidy off some of them? They are from version 1.2 to 4.6.1. [ATTACH] 127571
  9. Many .NET Framework versions

in Windows 10 Support
    Many .NET Framework versions: These are the .NET Framework versions I have in my system. Can I tidy off some of them? [ATTACH] 127571
  10. Net framework and visual c++

Net framework and visual c++: I just install windows 10 to my laptop, do i need to install all NET Framework and M Visual C++ or it automatically installed when u install the window? 102399

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i know if my system window has a gui framework