Windows 10: Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it

Discus and support Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a home network with 3 computers. 2 of them run win 10 home (laptop and HTPC) and the other one runs win 10 pro (desktop). the HTPC computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jugtip, Mar 17, 2019.

1. jugtip Win User

Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it

Hi,

I have a home network with 3 computers. 2 of them run win 10 home (laptop and HTPC) and the other one runs win 10 pro (desktop). the HTPC computer is sharing a couple folders with the everyone user group. On the laptop I can access these files with no issues, the desktop however can not access them. It throws the error ´You can´t access this shared folder because your organizations security policies block unauthenticated guest access....´. That is until I enable insecure guest logons in the group policy editor on the desktop. After this I can access with no issues.

I only encounted this issue yesterday when I reset my win 10 pro desktop, using the settings ´reset this pc´ option. before this there was no need to enable the insecure guest logon to access the shared folders on the HTPC.

So, my question is why did this start happening? and why does it need me to enable this option on my win 10 pro desktop but not the win 10 home laptop?

Also, this does not sound like a good fix security wise, is there a way to get my desktop to access the shared folders without needing to enable this option? It seems like for some strange reason the HTPC (laptop too) is being seen as a guest user or something, when this is not the case. my desktop (and the other computers as well) is setup with a local admin user account.

Thanks,

:)

jugtip, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Donnes78 Win User

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

Could Somebody tell me If I enable insecure guest logons, Is that Ok?

Donnes78, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

If you are the only one using it then there is no reason to use a public share. A public share is for being able to access a share from numerous PCs without authentication (and you are not able to provide everyone with a user/password access to the NAS).
    That means if someone hacks your router (which they do by the millions) or intrude in your network/PC by other means they can access this public share (no matter what you set in Windows). If you use it from "outside" your network (as they mention "Cloud")
    you should definitely not use a Public share.

You should be able to move the files to the private share area or to expand the private share area to it. No? I don't know how their devices work.

Also note, that "enable insecure guest logons" is not the same as enabling the guest account in Windows as the IA seems to think. It is *not* for allowing unauthenticated access to your (usually disabled) guest account in your Windows system!

This setting tells the client (your PC) that it can try an insecure unauthenticated login at *another* server (your NAS). That's all. And, as I said, it should be "enabled" by default as "not configured" means "enabled".

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

This doesn't really make sense from technical documentation. Look at what the explanation says:

If you enable this policy setting or if you do not configure this policy setting, the SMB client will allow insecure guest logons.

So, before you enabled it, it was "not configured"!

So, you should see the same behavior whether or not you "enable" it. Unless it was already configured and set to "disabled" which is not the default!

About the NAS: do you have set user accounts on it? I would assume that you don't have any user accounts on it. Maybe everybody has access to it? If you create the exact same user account with same password on the NAS that you use on your Windows machine and
    enable password-protected sharing in Windows you should be able to access the file shares just fine.

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it

1. Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it - Similar Threads - Why need enable

2. Guest account fail logon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Guest account fail logon: I have this log...Event TypeUserLogonFailureEventInfoLogon Failure ""my machine name"\Guest"DetectionIP"FQDN of my machine"ToolAliasWindows SecurityProviderSIDMicrosoft-Windows-Security-Auditing 4625LogonProcessAdvapiInsertionTime2022-12-20...
  3. Guest account fail logon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest account fail logon: I have this log...Event TypeUserLogonFailureEventInfoLogon Failure ""my machine name"\Guest"DetectionIP"FQDN of my machine"ToolAliasWindows SecurityProviderSIDMicrosoft-Windows-Security-Auditing 4625LogonProcessAdvapiInsertionTime2022-12-20...
  4. "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.: [IMG] I'm having issues accessing shares after the 20H2 update. I have enabled the "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy and yet i still get an error message saying that it is blocked....
  5. Insecure Guest Logons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Insecure Guest Logons: Could Somebody tell me If I enable insecure guest logons, Is that Ok? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/insecure-guest-logons/eb39b0a8-98c3-45c1-ade5-442bf96ce96f
  6. Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?: Hello, I now have access to my NAS Drive and thats because I went to the local group policy editor and set it to enabled but I'm not sure if I should use it, I'm using it because I keep getting the error Windows Cannot access \\SERVER NAME And then the error code...
  7. How can i enable PIN logon

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can i enable PIN logon: My pc for some reason has stopped asking for my PIN when I start the computer/restart. How can I re activate or enable this? In the Group Policy I have gone to; Computer Config>Administrative Templates>System>Logon I have the "Turn on convenience pin sign-in" enabled and...
  8. Error 0x80070035 Fixed by enabling insecure guest logons

Error 0x80070035 Fixed by enabling insecure guest logons: So we changed from a wireless to a wired network and one of the computers could not access the server computer giving error code 0x80070035. After much trouble shooting. I've tried resetting sharing options, turning off and on firewalls, signing in with the same user name...
  9. Avoiding Auto-logon at startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Avoiding Auto-logon at startup: I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on; but I want to remove this step. What happens at power up is that the laptop sits with a picture screen and says that the...
  10. Avoiding logon at startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Avoiding logon at startup: I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on; but I want to remove this step. What happens at power up is that the laptop sits with a picture screen and says that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable insecure guest logons windows 10

2. insecure guest

3. enable insecure guest logins w10

4. insecure guest logon,
  5. enable insecure guest logons w10,
  6. i need enabled,
  7. Insecure logons to an SMB server must be disabled,
  8. windows 10 enable insecure guest logons,
  9. enable insecure guest login,
  10. enable insecure guest logins windows 10