Windows 10: Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update??

Discus and support Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my desktop computer, Windows 10 notified me of the feature updates. On my new HP laptop, however, I just discovered that the system is quietly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VictorMcManus, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update??

On my desktop computer, Windows 10 notified me of the feature updates. On my new HP laptop, however, I just discovered that the system is quietly upgrading itself in the background. My system is sluggish, I don't want the update to be going on right now- why isn't the system even NOTIFYING me that it's in the process of a major update like this? I've looked in the Settings and it doesn't give much choice in terms of controlling updates. This is horrible. Windows used to give great options on updates- like whether or not to download them with the user's permission, etc. Windows 10 gets more and more user-unfriendly all the time.

:)

VictorMcManus, Oct 19, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Oct 19, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update?? pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Oct 19, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update??

Two major Windows 10 updates scheduled for 2017

Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update?? windows-10-hp-stream-100566481-large.jpg

It may come as no surprise, but Microsoft won't release another major update for Windows 10 in 2016. The good news is you can expect two big updates to Microsoft’s latest operating system in 2017.

Microsoft let the information slip in a TechNet blog post published earlier in the week. “Windows 10, version 1607 is our third Windows 10 feature update released,” Microsoft said in the blog post. “Based on feedback from organizations moving to Windows 10, this will be our last feature update for 2016, with two additional feature updates expected in 2017.”

The blog post appears to confirm reports from the Windows rumor mill about the timing of the next two updates for Windows 10. The first update, dubbed Redstone 2, is expected to roll out in early 2017 with the second, Redstone 3, landing in the summer or early fall, similar to the timing of the recently released Anniversary Update (previously known as Redstone 1).

This schedule would put Microsoft back on a two updates per year schedule similar to the initial rollout of Windows 10, as Windows Central first pointed out. In 2015, Microsoft released Windows 10 (also known as Threshold) in July and then the November Update(dubbed Threshold 2) three months later.

This time around, Redstone 2 is expected to roll out in the spring and then Redstone 3 should hit about four to six months later.

The impact on you at home: Of the two updates, Redstone 2 looks to be the most interesting so far. Not necessarily because of the features, which are believed to be largely things that weren’t ready for the Anniversary Update. The big deal is that the early 2017 update is expected to roll out in concert with new hardware from Microsoft, asZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley first reported back in March.

Early builds of Redstone 2 are expected to roll out to Windows Insiders in the coming weeks.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3104886/windows/two-major-windows-10-updates-scheduled-for-2017.html

P4-630, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update??

1. Why do I not have control over when Windows 10 starts a major update?? - Similar Threads - Why control starts

2. Why do I have parental control ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why do I have parental control ?: I reinstalled windows 10 home and selected delete everything. Now when I try to use it it says "Time's up. This device is locked because of you family settings for screen time. But before reinstalling I did not have parental control...
  3. Why do I have parental control ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have parental control ?: I reinstalled windows 10 home and selected delete everything. Now when I try to use it it says "Time's up. This device is locked because of you family settings for screen time. But before reinstalling I did not have parental control...
  4. Why do I have parental control ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why i have no control over my hardware anymore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why i have no control over my hardware anymore?: I started a bigger download and went to work. When i came home i realized the pc was restarted. My files weren't downloaded. All my applications were closed. But a update was installed. Why i can't decide anymore by myself when i turn my pc off and on?...
  6. Why i have no control over my hardware anymore?

Why i have no control over my hardware anymore?: I started a bigger download and went to work. When i came home i realized the pc was restarted. My files weren't downloaded. All my applications were closed. But a update was installed. Why i can't decide anymore by myself when i turn my pc off and on?...
  7. Why i have no control over my hardware anymore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Major Updates & Controlled Folder

Major Updates & Controlled Folder: Good Morning Everyone, 6/30/22 This is a Lenovo IdeaCentre 90NB using Windows 11 build 22621.160 ni_release and she purrs like a content kitten! A hand-me-down ASUS VB199 is how I see what's happening. An Actiontec 3260 is her gateway and the two are connected by both wi-fi &...
  9. I have no control over windows security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have no control over windows security: hi I have this problem were I can't use my windows security. because according to some articles there is third party anti- virus program. I'm 100% sure i dont own one or downloaded one so i assume some kind of trojan. like i read in an artriclehere I can't even do...
  10. Why don't I have control over App Permissions!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why don't I have control over App Permissions!: Why doesn't windows 10 not allow me to disallow individual permissions?? I was downloading an email program from Microsoft Store and below are just some of the permissions that this software would have had access to!! Why windows, can I not stop these permissions...