Windows 10: Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...

Discus and support Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am locked out of my own PC's control! I get this unacceptable message when i try so save files in some folders: You do not have permission to open... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MyDisplay, Dec 1, 2019.

1. MyDisplay Win User

Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...

I am locked out of my own PC's control!

I get this unacceptable message when i try so save files in some folders:

You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission.

For what ever reason, this is supposed to be connected to ransomeware protection ... H O W !?!

So i try to get into that setting, and then i am met with this nonsense:

Page not available
    Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information.

I am the SOLE user and Administrator of my PC! I will NOT accept being locked out of anything! There are no such thing as an 'IT-Administrator' Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file... :(

Why do i get these idiotic and totally unacceptable errors from win10?!

How can the right to save python-scrips be remotely connected to ransomeware?!??

It is NONSENSE !

/a

:)

MyDisplay, Dec 1, 2019

2. you don't have permission to open this file contact the file owner or an administrator

Hi,

This could be due to one of the following reasons:

• You don’t have permission to access the file,
    • The file you are trying to access is corrupt,
    • If you are using any third party security software, it may be blocking the file.

In most of the cases, this issue occurs when the user doesn’t have sufficient permissions to access the file. So I would suggest you to take ownership of the file and then check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps:

• Right-click the program
      that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click OK
      on the Security message (if one appears).
    • Click Advanced, and then click change. Enter your password if prompted.
    • Type in your username and press
      enter.
    • If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select
      the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.
    • Click OK and close all the windows.
    • Follow step a and b, click
      on advanced.
    • Under "permissions" tab, select your user account
      and click on "change permissions"
    • Check the "Replace all child object permission entries from this object." option and click
      Ok.
    • All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Dec 1, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Dec 1, 2019
  4. Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...

Error: you do not have permission to open this file

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I understand that you are getting an error message “you do not have permission to open this file.”

I will surely help you to fix this issue.

• Is the issue confined to any specific file?

• Have you installed any third party security software on your computer?
    As an initial step, I suggest you to disable antivirus software (and any other security software) and firewall on the computer as a test and check if that fixes the issue.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

If the issue persist, let us try the following steps and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder.
    • Right-click the file or folder, click
      Properties
      , and then click the Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    • Click Edit, and then do one of the following:
    • To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click
      Other users and groups
      and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click
      OK.
    • To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.
    • (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...

1. Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file... - Similar Threads - Why permission open

2. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...: I have these text documents that have yellow lock signs above them, these are my files that I created and yet I don't have access???Furthermore, in settings I can see that my profile is an administrator and i have changed the permissions of the file to give everyone access...
  3. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...: I have these text documents that have yellow lock signs above them, these are my files that I created and yet I don't have access???Furthermore, in settings I can see that my profile is an administrator and i have changed the permissions of the file to give everyone access...
  4. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator: This is in a usb drive, I saved 3 notepads into the usb before factory resetting my pc and now I cant open them, all the tutorials say do the security thing but it dosent work on my usb drive only my actual disk...
  6. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator: This is in a usb drive, I saved 3 notepads into the usb before factory resetting my pc and now I cant open them, all the tutorials say do the security thing but it dosent work on my usb drive only my actual disk...
  7. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

8. You do not have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You do not have permission to open this file: I have a solid-state drive in an external USB enclosure, with files and folders copied from my old Windows 10 laptop. I now use Windows 11 on a new laptop. The SSD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the password, and can unlock the drive fine. The problem I'm encountering is...
  9. You do not have permission to open this file

You do not have permission to open this file: I have a solid-state drive in an external USB enclosure, with files and folders copied from my old Windows 10 laptop. I now use Windows 11 on a new laptop. The SSD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the password, and can unlock the drive fine. The problem I'm encountering is...
  10. "You do not have permission to open this file."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You do not have permission to open this file.": How can i fix this error? I have admin, i tried takeown /f, and it still won't let me open it submitted by /u/Jakepuff6523 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ec1djk/you_do_not_have_permission_to_open_this_file/