Windows 10: Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh?

Discus and support Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; That has been an ongoing bug for a while. Say you move a file to the desktop, or a new file is downloaded to your folder. You know its there, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wozmatic, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh?

That has been an ongoing bug for a while.

Say you move a file to the desktop, or a new file is downloaded to your folder.

You know its there, but the file icon or list item doesn't show up until you hit F5 to refresh.

A restart fixes this, but what the hell is going on here?

submitted by /u/wozmatic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wozmatic, Jul 2, 2020
  2. J FNV Win User

how to show or list all items on Desktop

All items show on regular desktop, but not listed under File Explorer. Question is, how to get all listed under File Explorer.

J FNV, Jul 2, 2020
  3. surfing69 Win User
    Why does the desktop show both User and Public items?

I was cleaning up my Desktop in Windows explorer when i noticed that there were more items on my Desktop than that listed in windows explorer.

I eventually found out that the content on my Desktop was a mixture of files from User Desktop AND Public Desktop.

This was both unexpected and extremely frustrating

I expected ONLY those files in the User Desktop to be found on the Desktop.

I would like to know why the other files i found on the desktop were placed in the Public Desktop in Windows Explorer.

Any help would be appreciated.

surfing69, Jul 2, 2020
  4. blueworld Win User

Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh?

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

1. Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    2. Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    3. If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh?

1. Why do items sometimes not show up on desktop or explorer until you hit refresh? - Similar Threads - Why items sometimes

2. Not all items on the desktop shows up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not all items on the desktop shows up in file explorer: How do I get file explorer, when I select the desktop, to show what all is on the desktop, not just those items in my user id desktop folder? Nothing shows up from 'All Users' as it does on the desktop itself....
  3. Not all items on the desktop shows up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not all items on the desktop shows up in file explorer: How do I get file explorer, when I select the desktop, to show what all is on the desktop, not just those items in my user id desktop folder? Nothing shows up from 'All Users' as it does on the desktop itself....
  4. New Items on Desktop Dont Appear until Desktop is refreshed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Items on Desktop Dont Appear until Desktop is refreshed in Windows 10: https://aka.ms/AAdtilvMy Feedback Hub - Screen Recording Shows the issue when recreated.OS: Windows 10Edition Windows 10 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H1Installed on ‎23-‎07-‎2021OS build 19043.1202Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0...
  5. Items show up on desktop but don't show if I open them thru Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Items show up on desktop but don't show if I open them thru Explorer: The thread title says it all. I can open my Daily Use folder from my desktop, where it sits, and all my items are in there. But if I open that same folder in Explorer it's empty. Please see screenshots and help if you can. P.S. I think I might have just figured out what I'm...
  6. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer: I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and...
  7. files moved to different file do not show up until a refresh?

files moved to different file do not show up until a refresh?: When dragging a file from one location to a second location. The file appears to remain in the old location but is not accessable and does not appear in the new location until the file is refreshed. If the file is moved from the desktop it requires a restart....
  8. USB floppy drive doesn't show up until explorer is refreshed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB floppy drive doesn't show up until explorer is refreshed: I have a USB floppy drive that I connected to my Windows 10 laptop, when I was in the "This PC" folder, it would show up when I connected the drive. But today, it doesn't show up on "This PC", until I refresh the "This PC" window. I have not updated my Windows. I don't know...
  9. Windows explorer sometimes extremely slow, how do you speed it up?

Windows explorer sometimes extremely slow, how do you speed it up?: [ATTACH] Hi I noticed that NOT always, but now and then, when I especially connect an external hard drive with lots of data, or in fact when I want to open some folder with especially lots of films on existing partitions, that it can take very long before it can open the...
  10. save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh

in Windows 10 Support
    save file to desktop does not show up until right click refresh: almost 2 months now with my new computer, I have noticed, especially, when downloading a file with firefox and doing save to desktop, that will complete successfully but the desktop will not show the file. Not until i manually do a right click on the desktop and choose...