Windows 10: why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge

Discus and support why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have set Chrome as my default browser However despite this, when i click on a link in windows settings it opens Edge . The same happens if I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by surfing69, Sep 20, 2020.

1. surfing69 Win User

why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge

I have set Chrome as my default browser

However despite this, when i click on a link in windows settings it opens Edge . The same happens if I click on a result from the windows start search .

This is both EXTREMELY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING.

Does anyone know how to stop this behaviour?

Thanks

:)

surfing69, Sep 20, 2020
  2. John Vil Win User

Can't open Outlook links in Edge

Hi,

In order for us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Dose this problem occur on a particular website or all the links you try to open from Outlook?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done?

In the meantime, we suggest that you reset Microsoft Edge. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on More options […].
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on ‘Choose what to clear’.
    • Select all of them and click on Clear all.

We look forward for your reply.

John Vil, Sep 20, 2020
  3. IsaacFL Win User
    Open Pin to Start links in new Edge window instead of tab

I have a lot of Web Page applications that I use for my job. For each webpage I do a "Pin to Start" which creates a quick link from the start menu.

With IE each of these links would open in a new window, but with Edge they open in a new tab on the existing Edge window.

Is there a setting to change this in Edge?

I have a multiple monitors and it is more productive to be able to have these web pages open in their own window. Now I have to open my link, then tear the tab off to create separate windows.

IsaacFL, Sep 20, 2020
  4. why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge

Not working in Windows 10: opening search results web links via Cortana or Windows 10 Start Menu

This is an ongoing issue since Windows 10 came out. It happens across different devices that have Windows 10 installed. It happens with different user accounts.

Following scenario:

- I click on the Cortana icon in the task bar and type a search query, e.g. Google

- Cortana will now suggest search result web links via Bing search engine, e.g. www.google.com

- I click on any of these suggested links and nothing happens. The link is not resolved and opened in a browser.

My trouble shooting efforts so far:

- tried this with different user accounts, did not solve the issue

- tried this across different laptops, did not solve the issue

- made Microsoft Edge my default browser, did not solve the issue

I really would appreciate some help here.

This bug renders the entire Cortana search assistant useless, when it cannot even open a single web link.

Thank you.

Dodgy SquirrelJr., Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge

1. why do links in settings and result links in the windows start search open in edge - Similar Threads - why links settings

2. Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?: Until one of the recent updates, all was working properly. Now all links that arrive in email in Outlook open with Edge, even though Firefox is set as the default browser and for all protocols that I am able to change. Edge is now shown only for those "Microsoft Edge"...
  3. Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?: Until one of the recent updates, all was working properly. Now all links that arrive in email in Outlook open with Edge, even though Firefox is set as the default browser and for all protocols that I am able to change. Edge is now shown only for those "Microsoft Edge"...
  4. Custom search result - link to a webpage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom search result - link to a webpage: My company has switched for launching a program from a desktop app to through a webpage. I used to just hit the windows key and then type and hit enter and have it open, whereas now I have to open my browser, hit my bookmark and then click the right link.I was wondering if I...
  5. Custom search result - link to a webpage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom search result - link to a webpage: My company has switched for launching a program from a desktop app to through a webpage. I used to just hit the windows key and then type and hit enter and have it open, whereas now I have to open my browser, hit my bookmark and then click the right link.I was wondering if I...
  6. Broken links in "Best Match" search results

in Cortana
    Broken links in "Best Match" search results: Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not want to use Cortana.The issue: Searching in the task bar often returns dead links. Even for MS Edge. It looks something like...
  7. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge: Usually web links open correctly in the default browser that I've selected under Settings > Apps > Default Apps. But some web links seemto ignore this and always open in Edge. Here's an example - a weblink from Settings > Personalization>Taskbar: [ATTACH] Surely ALL...
  8. Links do not appear in start menu search

in Cortana
    Links do not appear in start menu search: I used to type the start menu entries as shortcut to open them. Windows just opened the search and offered me the right item. This does not work anymore (as it used to) The problem seems to be only with start menu entries (who are .lnk files), though it does offer me...
  9. Open link as new window in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Open link as new window in Edge: In IE, there was a setting to open links (e.g., ones selected by shift-clicking, or ones with a target attribute in the anchor tag) into a new window instead of a new tab. I can't find a way to do this in Edge - in general, the number of user-adjustable settings seems to be...
  10. Broken search result links

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken search result links: Hey guys, first time poster here, I have a weird issues right now. So recently I reinstalled both GOG galaxy and Gwent to a different drive on my pc and since then I have this issue https://i.imgur.com/tSWkpTa.jpg Before I could type Gwent or gog in start menu and they...