Windows 10: Why do my drives show twice?

Discus and support Why do my drives show twice? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can someone explain why my attached drives show twice? I only had this happen on one USB drive before the Windows 10 recent update, but now both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CallMeSteven, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Why do my drives show twice?

Can someone explain why my attached drives show twice? I only had this happen on one USB
    drive before the Windows 10 recent update, but now both external drives are repeated twice! (See attached)

:)

CallMeSteven, Nov 15, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

MY cd and dvd drives do not show up as drives but are listed in device manager no yellow code. I am using windows 10

Are they listed in Device Manager as DVD/CD drives? Are you saying that they don't appear in File Explorer? Do they operate normally?

JimWynne, Nov 15, 2015
  3. MY cd and dvd drives do not show up as drives but are listed in device manager no yellow code. I am using windows 10

Hi Jim

I will try to be more precise! Both the external and internal DVD drives are in device

manager. I have removed the and device manager reinstalls them. They do not appear as drives in file explorer like C: drive does. I am using windows 10. The drives run and just keep on running and no output is shown. The internal drive came withe the HP
    computer around Jan. 2010; the external drive was bought in July 2015 as I was having trouble with the old drive. The new drive is connected by USB.

CurtisMay929, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Why do my drives show twice?

@ CallMeSteven:

Apparently, MS added this feature for quick access to Removable Drives in the navigation pane for users who never have 'This PC' expanded.

It takes a simple Registry tweak to delete the entries:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFold ers
    and delete the sub key:
    {F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}

Edwin, Nov 15, 2015
  5. Many thanks - that did it. Oh maybe you should have said to Right Click to Open Regedit as an Administrator, but
    I worked that out *Smile

CallMeSteven, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Thanks for the heads up Steven, wasnt sure what he was talking about at first, your post plus his really brought it all together *Biggrin *Nerd

marcaholic, Feb 29, 2016
  7. I've tried this and I get an error message stating the following:

"Windows Cannot Find - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFold ers
    Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

Of course, I just simply did a copy/paste of the address in the search bar........*Redface*Rolleyes

Tony Trout, Jun 5, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

It won't work like that from the Search Bar , you have to follow that address in Regedit , which you can find from the Search Bar but it is easier to just download the two files from the Tutorial Linked here or below and merge them especially if you are not familiar with Regedit , it is much safer :

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

** there is an error in that address but in spelling only there is not a space in the last word it should be
    Folders not Fold ers

*** thanks for the Tip BTW

Kbird, Jun 6, 2016
  9. kevin117 Win User
    I registered in this forum tonight because even though I have never messed with the "Regedit" function, I did it for this issue. There were two reasons:
    1. It was very easy to follow (although as noted above, instructions on opening Regedit would be useful).
    2. It saved me a probable two-hour session with the Geek Squad to accomplish the same thing. Thank you.

kevin117, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why do my drives show twice? - Similar Threads - Why drives show

2. F drive shows up twice

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    F drive shows up twice: My coputer is showing two F drives. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f-drive-shows-up-twice/4125481f-2b96-4858-b8c0-37f7420a3e90
  3. Why do my USB drive and SD card show up twice under "My Computer"?

Why do my USB drive and SD card show up twice under "My Computer"?: Re: Windows 10 version number 2004 (OS Build 19041.685): [img] I don't see anything strange about my partitions: [img] The PC works fine, but these double listings are confusing. What am I missing? - Thanks 172150
  4. Why do my USB drive and SD card show up twice under "My Computer"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why do my USB drive and SD card show up twice under "My Computer"?: Re: Windows 10 version number 2004 (OS Build 19041.685): [img] I don't see anything strange about my partitions: [img] The PC works fine, but these double listings are confusing. What am I missing? - Thanks 172150
  5. Anyone know why drive f shows up twice(it's not pinned)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone know why drive f shows up twice(it's not pinned): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/flamethrower451 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jg4cqh/anyone_know_why_drive_f_shows_up_twiceits_not/
  6. External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...: External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? According to support this isn't a flaw. I consider it to be a design flaw. The second appearance of...
  7. External drives show twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    External drives show twice in file explorer: In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drives-show-twice-in-file-explorer/252c30a0-b538-4b32-b172-cad98e68cee4
  8. Why is my SD card showing up twice in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is my SD card showing up twice in File Explorer?: In the left pane here: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-sd-card-showing-up-twice-in-file/d185a45d-db75-48ce-8fae-8095182c19c1"
  9. Explorer showing removable drives twice

Explorer showing removable drives twice: Hi guys, This is another minor annoyance. When I insert any removable drive (USB, SD cards, etc) the device shows up twice in Explorer. Once under "This PC" tree and the other as a device. See attached pic (USB Drive H): I remember hearing about this being the way it's...
  10. file explorer shows usb drive twice

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer shows usb drive twice: hi, i have an annoying problem. when i plug a usb drive, the file explorer shows the same drive with the same drive letter twice. it's no big deal but annoying like i said.. how can i fix this 25514