Windows 10: why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD?

Discus and support why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've had music files disappear from my Window's Media Player, my computer's and my external HD. I could maybe understand this if they are downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisMcConnell2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD?

I've had music files disappear from my Window's Media Player, my computer's and my external HD. I could maybe understand this if they are downloaded from Amazon etc, but these are songs/album's ripped to computer from a CD. Then every once in a blue moon, the files just show up again like they were never there. My Aerosmith disappeared for like 10 days and then just magically re-appeared. This all happens even on my external HD, where I thought I had files backed up. Refuse to use the crap Groove Music, and have just about had it with Windows Media Player as well. I have Windows 10 by the way. Any suggestions, tech advice would be appreciated.

:)

ChrisMcConnell2, Nov 19, 2018
  2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Windows Media Player.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to check the ‘Windows Media Player’ settings from the steps below.

1. Open the ‘Windows Media Player’, in the player ‘Library’, click on ‘Organize’.
    2. Select ‘Options’, this will open the ‘Options’ window for the ‘Windows Media Player’.
    3. Click on the ‘Library’ tab, please confirm if the ‘Retrieve additional information from the Internet’ is checked, check the options ‘Rename music files using rip music settings’ and ‘Rearrange music in rip
      music folder, using rip music settings’ under ‘Automatic media information updates for files’. Click on ‘Apply’.
    4. Click on the ‘Player’ tab and check the option ‘Connect to the Internet’. Click on apply.
    5. Restart the ‘Windows Media Player’ and check if it works out for you.
    Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Nov 19, 2018
  4. why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD?

Windows music media files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Are you trying to play the music's directly from the CD?
    • Are you using Windows Media Player to paly the music?
    • Did you try a different player?
    • Did you try copying the songs to a particular folder and checked if the issue persists?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Windows Media Player Settings.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD?

1. why do my music files keep disappearing from my Windows Media Player, computer and external HD? - Similar Threads - why music files

2. why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I...: why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-did-microsoft-music-player-hijack-all-my-music/ee6baf24-40f6-46ac-a8ba-352b1991a692
  3. why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I...: why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-did-microsoft-music-player-hijack-all-my-music/ee6baf24-40f6-46ac-a8ba-352b1991a692
  4. why did microsoft music player hijack all my music from windows music player. and how do I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Media Player don't want to keep my music into it's library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player don't want to keep my music into it's library: Hello there,I have a strange issue with the new Media Player v.11.2212.31.0 who replaced Groove Music.When I start it, it says that there is no music found.So, in the settings, I selected the folder where my music is. Then I have to click on "Refresh" for my music to be added...
  6. Media Player don't want to keep my music into it's library

Media Player don't want to keep my music into it's library: Hello there,I have a strange issue with the new Media Player v.11.2212.31.0 who replaced Groove Music.When I start it, it says that there is no music found.So, in the settings, I selected the folder where my music is. Then I have to click on "Refresh" for my music to be added...
  7. Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files.: Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files. I thought it was a hardware problem so I purchased and installed an LG external burner. Now this burner also is burning my MP3 files as CDA files. I have tried many hours for a solution but cannot find a...
  8. Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files.: Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files. I thought it was a hardware problem so I purchased and installed an LG external burner. Now this burner also is burning my MP3 files as CDA files. I have tried many hours for a solution but cannot find a...
  9. Windows Media Player is burning my MP3 music files as .CDA files.

10. Windows media Player not reading all my stored music files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows media Player not reading all my stored music files: Windows is having problems reading my music files which I have had for some time and have not had problems playing or burning them before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-not-reading-all-my-stored/83ac88a1-0024-4b13-866c-a6bc794a9454

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does music disappear from my computer

2. why is my music disappearing from my computer

3. music files keep disappeaeing

4. why are files disaperaring from windows media player,
  5. why does music keep disappearing from windows media player,
  6. why do songs that Ive downloaded to my pc keep disappearing,
  7. maintain assigned data in windows media player