Windows 10: Why do my restore points keep vanishing?

Discus and support Why do my restore points keep vanishing? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Here is how you recover files from shadows: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-folders.html Not sure I understand - if I don't have any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by joddle, Apr 22, 2016.

1. joddle Win User

Why do my restore points keep vanishing?

joddle, Apr 23, 2016
  2. EdTittel Win User

Dear Joddle:
    Turns out this is a much more interesting problem than any of us might have wished for. Found some interesting gems in researching the topic, and learned that, among many other things, numerous disk defrag programs apparently kill VSS (the Volume Shadow Service is what writes shadow copies of the OS files, including restore points) stuff of just about any kind. I see you have a spinning disk for your boot/system disk, so this seems a potentially likely culprit.

Check these articles and forum threads for some hopefully discussions and information:
    Why are my Windows system restore points disappearing? - Forums - CNET
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2506576
    Solve the mystery of lost System Restore points | PCWorld
    why do my Restore Points keep disappearing? - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Restore points disappeared Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

I also learned you can use one of the tools built into CCleaner (long a favorite of mine) to check out restore points, to wit:

Why do my restore points keep vanishing? [​IMG]

I hope you find relief amidst all this barrage of potential causes and related fixes.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 23, 2016
  3. joddle Win User
    Thanks Ed - I have now turned off the auto defrag to see if that makes a difference - I did notice the little reserved sector on the main HDD but thought nothing of it. Perhaps if I did another clean reinstall of W10 on a new hdd then that would not reappear. Alas I don't have the time for that right now but if something goes wrong I will do that. Not sure even why that little partition is there - was it created when I did the free W7 to W10 upgrade? and is it actually needed for anything or was created because there were other drives present when I did the recent reinstall? Must take note to disconnect everything else next time apart from the drive for the OS.

joddle, Apr 23, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

In Windows-land the boot files live in the system partition, and the system/OS files live in the boot partition. That 100 MB partition is where the Windows boot manager goes to fire up and launch the boot process, which ultimately results in the OS files in the boot partition taking over and running your PC. This also tells me you're running legacy BIOS on your PC rather than the newer-fangled UEFI. For the latter, your disk layout would include a 100 MB EFI partition instead (which serves the same function as your 100 MB system partition). Mine also includes a 450 MB Recovery Partition, which includes the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) from which OS recovery activities may be launched if and when the primary boot partition or EFI System partition goes south).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 23, 2016
  5. joddle Win User
    Thanks again Ed - So actually no need to reinstall at the moment - its just don't have restore points but think I can live without those at the moment - however noticed something odd - The amount of space used by one restore point on this machine for all drives is 300mb - however on another similar (almost identical) machine running the same software with only one drive has only four restore points and showing the usage at about 7.4gb!

joddle, Apr 23, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Something odd is indeed going on. You may want to think about a clean reinstall on this system. I think it might be a drastic, but sure, solution to whatever's causing this weirdness to go down.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 23, 2016
  7. DavidE Win User
    @joddle
    You have Dynamic partitions.
    I don't know why you have them or if they might be causing an issue with your restore points.
    If you re-install Windows, don't use Dynamic partitions, they can cause problems.

An MBR disk can have 3 Primary partitions and unlimited Logical partitions, or 4 Primary partitions.
    The only partition that needs to be Primary is the partition that has the bootloader.

If you install Windows into unallocated space, Windows will create a small System Reserved partition for the bootloader, and the rest of the space for the C: Windows partition.
    If you install Windows into a pre-defined partition, the bootloader and Windows will be installed in that partition as C:

DavidE, Apr 23, 2016
  8. joddle Win User

I had not noticed that - and don't know why the partitions are dynamic (can they be reverted to basic?) - they were created by the install when I first re-installed this hdd following a system failure and had replaced the HDD. Then it was a clean install but I did have the second HDD (which is a files backup system) connected at the time and I think some attributes of the previous system were migrated during the re-install - for instance it seemed to know which printers I had before I had connected them! I thought that odd at the time but as everything else appeared to be working assumed it was not an issue.

I am not about to do full re-install now but will get round to is soon. In which case I will remove the second HDD, backup the D partition from the current drive then reformat the whole drive and partition it before doing the reinstall. Hopefully everything will then work as it should.

joddle, Apr 23, 2016
  9. DavidE Win User
    Here's a tutorial by Brink:
    Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Help Forums

If your system is booting and working fine other than the restore points problem, i would not convert to basic unless you have everything backed up and can recover in case anything goes wrong.

I don't use restore points.
    I use Macrium Reflect free V6 for backups.
    I create periodic Full backup images, and create a Differential if i want to create a "quick" backup before testing some change i want to try.
    With Macrium, you can control what and how long backups are kept, and where they are saved such as an external drive.

If your BIOS is set to use RAID, that might be why you have dynamic partitions.

DavidE, Apr 23, 2016
  10. joddle Win User
    All looks too complicated at the moment so will leave well alone - the disabling defrag did not help - the restore points I created yesterday have now gone and been replaced by an "automatic" point created last night.

joddle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why do my restore points keep vanishing? - Similar Threads - Why restore points

2. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  3. Why my restore points are disappearing?

Why my restore points are disappearing?: Today, I have seen that one windows restore point, the oldest (but only have 10 days) have disappeared. I have enough dedicated disk space for the restore points (yesterday, I had 11.4 Gb occupied of 23 Gb dedicated to restore system), no new one created, I don't have any...
  4. Restore Points Vanish

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points Vanish: I've recently installed Windows 10 Version 1903, and noticed right afterwards there was a Restore Point created prior to the update. After running on this version for a few days, I now see more updates have been downloaded for 1903, with a new Restore Point and I'm...
  5. Why do my Windows 10 System Restore points keep disappearing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do my Windows 10 System Restore points keep disappearing?: I have recently done a complete clean install of Windows 10 x64 and everything seems to working fine except that System Restore points always vanish within a few hours of them being created. I created one just after completing the installation but that and all the other more...
  6. why do my restore points keepdiappearing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why do my restore points keepdiappearing?: I have set my disk space for restore points to Max but they still keep disappearing - why? I am using Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-my-restore-points-keepdiappearing/4b2922ac-ed60-4996-a9e9-bed9495c62e7
  7. Why do my system restore points keep getting deleted?

Why do my system restore points keep getting deleted?: My system restore points are frequently deleted without my consent... does anyone know why this takes place and how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-my-system-restore-points-keep-getting/07c745d2-eab7-4822-bb49-5a4bbada1257
  8. Why not Restore Points?

Why not Restore Points?: I've seen many web pages describing how to turn on Win10 support of Restore Points, but I cannot find anything describing why MS has the support turned off by default. I know some people have had problems with Restore Points in the past (including me) but I also know that...
  9. Why not Restore Points?

Why not Restore Points?: I've seen many web pages describing how to turn on Win10 support of Restore Points, but I cannot find anything describing why MS has the support turned off by default. I know some people have had problems with Restore Points in the past (including me) but I also know that...
  10. Why do my restore points vanish?

Why do my restore points vanish?: I have never had many restore points on my 2-in-1 Tablet, presumably to do with the small size of the SSD. But recently I have found the couple or so I normally have, disappear every day. I have been having to replace them every few hours. Why is this and what can I do about...