Windows 10: Why do my restore points keep vanishing?

Discus and support Why do my restore points keep vanishing? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have just done a clean install of W10 64 bit and as I loaded drivers for old printers and my soundcard I created restore points for the c: drive so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by joddle, Apr 22, 2016.

1. joddle Win User

Why do my restore points keep vanishing?

I have just done a clean install of W10 64 bit and as I loaded drivers for old printers and my soundcard I created restore points for the c: drive so if I had issues I could unwind. Now I discover they are all gone! Even one I did earlier today. The deleting of my restore points seem to happen when I do a re-boot or when there is an update - but why? What is the point of having a restore point if it keeps vanishing?

:)

joddle, Apr 22, 2016
  2. RPG17A Win User

~ How do I choose which Restore Points to keep ? ~

Hi

Older restore points do get removed depending on how much space you have allocated to them. If you have a massive amount of space allocated then you will end up with quite a list, but I agree that you should be able to delete them yourself one at a time
    should you wish.

Why do my restore points keep vanishing? [​IMG]

RPG17A, Apr 22, 2016
  3. ~ How do I choose which Restore Points to keep ? ~

Hi,

Glad to have helped.

You can post Feedback in the Feedback Hub on Windows 10.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 22, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Dear Joddle:
    Windows manages space for restore points and one odd pathology that can occur when the "space ceiling" is set to a low value is that restore points vanish soon after being captured. To check your settings, type "restore point" into the Start menu, then click on "Create a restore point." This opens the System Properties window with the System Protection tab at the forefront:

Find your boot/system drive in the list (usually CWhy do my restore points keep vanishing? :) then click the Configure button:

As you can see, I've got only 2% of my drive space allocated for a total of 10 GB. Of that available amount, 8.15 GB is already in use. This almost certainly means that the next time I make a restore point, an older one will be "sacrificed" to make room for it. Hopefully, this also shows you that you can raise the ceiling on the storage allocation (by moving the slider to the right) to make more room for your restore points. Tip: if you highlight the slider "cursor" with your mouse, you can then click the right arrow key to raise the allocation by 1% increments. This helps with really fine adjustments. Thus, I just raised my allocation to 5% seeing that 2% is pretty small (I've got a bigger system/boot drive than I'm used to, with lots of free space).
    I hope this fixes your problems. If not, report back here on what you find and we'll help you get it sorted out.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 22, 2016
  5. joddle Win User
    I think I have set enough space but my restore points are all missing!

joddle, Apr 22, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    By any chance you are dual booting ?
    If so, what OSes are on dual boot ?

davidhk, Apr 22, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Joddle:
    That is odd, given you've got a big chunk of disk real estate set aside. Let me do some more digging and see if I can come up with something. There's a good third-party tool out there I want to find for managing restore points, and maybe some additional intelligence to be found. I'll report back after I have a chance to do some research. I'm on "weekend honeydew patrol" so it may be awhile before I can report back...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 22, 2016
  8. joddle Win User

Hi - no dual boot - on this machine - only W10 64bit - there are two physical drives laid out as four partitions.

joddle, Apr 22, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Check out System Restore Explorer. Right after you make one, you can use this to mount that restore point, then make a copy to another drive for safekeeping. I'll keep investigating: I'm just getting started. The other comment about a system image is good advice, too, though.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 22, 2016
  11. joddle Win User
    Just had a read of the thread with that link - very interesting and make me wonder if the problem I have is due to the way the HDDs are configured.

I think my system boots from the second HDD rather than the first -(don't know why that happened but when I was doing the re-install I noticed that the old c drive was not at the top of the list and I had to select the partition to do the install - must be the way the sata cables are plugged in I suppose.

joddle, Apr 22, 2016
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Shoot, Joddle: this is Windows. Almost anything can happen, and sometimes does. That's why I thought the afore-linked System Restore Explorer might find your Restore Points for you, especially if they're going someplace unexpected. I still haven't had time to do further research though: just checking in between errands at the moment.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 22, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

14. DavidE Win User
    Post a maximized screen print of Disk Management
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

When installing Windows only the HD/SSD where Windows is being installed to, and the DVD/Flash Drive Windows is being installed from should be connected. (storage devices).
    If other HD's/SSD's are connected while installing, some files may get updated/installed there.

DavidE, Apr 22, 2016
  15. joddle Win User

joddle, Apr 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Why do my restore points keep vanishing? - Similar Threads - Why restore points

2. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  3. Why my restore points are disappearing?

Why my restore points are disappearing?: Today, I have seen that one windows restore point, the oldest (but only have 10 days) have disappeared. I have enough dedicated disk space for the restore points (yesterday, I had 11.4 Gb occupied of 23 Gb dedicated to restore system), no new one created, I don't have any...
  4. Restore Points Vanish

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points Vanish: I've recently installed Windows 10 Version 1903, and noticed right afterwards there was a Restore Point created prior to the update. After running on this version for a few days, I now see more updates have been downloaded for 1903, with a new Restore Point and I'm...
  5. Why do my Windows 10 System Restore points keep disappearing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do my Windows 10 System Restore points keep disappearing?: I have recently done a complete clean install of Windows 10 x64 and everything seems to working fine except that System Restore points always vanish within a few hours of them being created. I created one just after completing the installation but that and all the other more...
  6. why do my restore points keepdiappearing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why do my restore points keepdiappearing?: I have set my disk space for restore points to Max but they still keep disappearing - why? I am using Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-my-restore-points-keepdiappearing/4b2922ac-ed60-4996-a9e9-bed9495c62e7
  7. Why do my system restore points keep getting deleted?

Why do my system restore points keep getting deleted?: My system restore points are frequently deleted without my consent... does anyone know why this takes place and how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-my-system-restore-points-keep-getting/07c745d2-eab7-4822-bb49-5a4bbada1257
  8. Why not Restore Points?

Why not Restore Points?: I've seen many web pages describing how to turn on Win10 support of Restore Points, but I cannot find anything describing why MS has the support turned off by default. I know some people have had problems with Restore Points in the past (including me) but I also know that...
  9. Why not Restore Points?

Why not Restore Points?: I've seen many web pages describing how to turn on Win10 support of Restore Points, but I cannot find anything describing why MS has the support turned off by default. I know some people have had problems with Restore Points in the past (including me) but I also know that...
  10. Why do my restore points vanish?

Why do my restore points vanish?: I have never had many restore points on my 2-in-1 Tablet, presumably to do with the small size of the SSD. But recently I have found the couple or so I normally have, disappear every day. I have been having to replace them every few hours. Why is this and what can I do about...