Windows 10: Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to...

Discus and support Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to figure out how to apply a custom view of a library to its subfolder, but apparently people at Microsoft refuse to make this feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Unlapped, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Unlapped Win User

Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to...

I am trying to figure out how to apply a custom view of a library to its subfolder, but apparently people at Microsoft refuse to make this feature available to its users in windows 10, whereas it was available in windows 8, 7, vista and xp, and before.... It cannot be a bug, since the lack of this feature is so obvious.

This happens on a fresh and clean install of windows 1809. No personal programs have been installed. I ran:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

and no corruption of any file is reported.

In order to replicate, you go to a library, like 'Documents'', then you change your view, like ''details'' and swap a column with another, like swapping ''size'' with ''name''. Then you create a folder in this library, and go to this folder. This folder is displayed with the default view and the default order of columns: name first , then the other columns.

Or you can go to 'Pictures', choose view ''Details'', then open a folder in this library and it will be the default view for ''Pictures''....

I genuinely want to know why do people at microsoft cling to their toxic behavior of removing this feature of custom view applied to subfolders of a library like "Documents'' ? What is the malicious motivation of these people ?

:)

Unlapped, Apr 1, 2019
  2. mhammer05 Win User

View settings not applied to Library sub-folders

I understand the need to reset some customizations after an upgrade, but that's not really addressing the question. I've gone through and updated my folder views as desired for my local disk. However, the view settings are not applied to libraries.

For example, there is a Documents library by default which includes C:\Users\<user>\Documents. If I go to that specific address, the view settings are customized as I'd like. However, if I view Libraries\Documents it's using some default view setting for
    General Items which I've already overwritten (yet it is not applied). If I take the time to change the view for Libraries\Documents, I cannot use "Apply to All" from the Folder Options | View settings, and I have to go through every individual sub-folder to
    get everything displayed as I like. This cannot be a purposeful decision on Microsoft's part since the behavior didn't happen when upgrading from W8.1 to W10. It was only after the 1607 upgrade that this presented itself.

Surely there is a way to set folder view settings for Libraries in a manner that they can be applied globally.

mhammer05, Apr 1, 2019
  3. Zardoc Win User
    Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue.

Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC".

Yes, this is (supposed to be) true Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... :).

Up to Windows 8.1 when you chose a view to folders in a specific library this view would apply to all sub folders of that library and stay if closed and re opened. This would work by individual library. *sarc

Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... Libraries%20001%202016-09-19_19-51-43_zps1qqbrt5r.jpg

So, I chose my view, closed the library, re opened and looked at a sub file. Here is the result.

Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... Libraries%20003%202016-09-19_19-51-43_zpshr9qhcbz.jpg

As you can see, the setting does not apply to the sub folders of that library. It will apply to all the main folders only. Each sub folder has to be set individually in view settings. This makes no sense and is really not practical. *Sad

Like I said, this is a step back from earlier versions of Windows. I've looked everywhere for a fix but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

Zardoc, Apr 1, 2019
  4. budi Win User

Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to...

Registry strange behavior in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...

I tried to clear all contents of
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
    then set security permission to logger user name () to be clear from:

• create key
    • set value
    and let it inherently apply to all keys under it

But it responds with icons flickering / blinking very often
    so I undo the security setting.. but while keeping on registry browsing under this key I came across:

1. The jpg filetype key and userchoice key were created
    2. On userchoice key the logging user () ACL was created, and
    3. It's set to DENY on SET VALUE !

Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... [​IMG]

Is it windows 10 behavior or an intruder's been screwing up ?
    Please help me.. many thanks in advance

budi, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Why do people at microsoft have a toxic behavior of not applying view settings to... - Similar Threads - Why microsoft toxic

2. Why is microsoft scamming people?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is microsoft scamming people?: Microsoft was anounced starfield will come at day one to xbox game pass for pc and after they tripled the subscription price. So many people bought the xbox game pass for pc just for this game as I did. But after that they anounced that game will be 5 day early accessible for...
  3. Why is microsoft scamming people?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is microsoft scamming people?: Microsoft was anounced starfield will come at day one to xbox game pass for pc and after they tripled the subscription price. So many people bought the xbox game pass for pc just for this game as I did. But after that they anounced that game will be 5 day early accessible for...
  4. Cant see all "people" in people view

Cant see all "people" in people view: Hello I am starting to move my photo's over from google pictures as I have a O365 subscription so thought I should start to use it. however the "people" view is not showing all the people in my pictures folder. There are a number of people in some of the folders within...
  5. How to apply different View settings to folders of the same type...

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply different View settings to folders of the same type...: Is there a way to set Large icons view for all folders that have images except have the parent folder be set to Details? Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.657) 152638
  6. Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?: Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ? Windows 10 ; Folder view I have set to view dimensions of images for easy reference. I want all windows I open to display this information also . I tried the Apply to All folders , button, in View Options menu....
  7. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  8. People view problems

People view problems: How can I select a different picture for someone? Note that the picture chose in People view is not the same as that used for the contact. How do I persuade it to create a picture for someone where there is good consistent recognition for them but no picture has been chosen...
  9. Why do popup prompts have both OK and Apply

in Windows 10 Support
    Why do popup prompts have both OK and Apply: Hi there after all these years Windows popup boxes still have cancel, OK and apply bars. I've never seen any application where apply does anything different from OK (if it does anything at all). Anybody from development etc know why these options are still there or is this...
  10. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...