Windows 10: Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space?

Discus and support Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 10.0.17134.165 Restore Points disappear long before the allocated spaced is used. I have 5% / 10GB allocated. Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Office User ALG, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space?

On Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 10.0.17134.165

Restore Points disappear long before the allocated spaced is used. I have 5% / 10GB allocated. Disk space used for a single RP when first added is about 65MB. The space used grows continuously and when it gets somewhere over 1GB (in 2 or 3 days) the single RP gets removed and space goes back to 0.

I ran sfc /scannow, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

a week ago. Two corrupted files were repaired. No problems are found running these now but the RP problem persists.

I found Volume Shadow Service was for some reason Disabled. I set it to Automatic. I check status frequently. It was Stopped once that I observed but now stays Running.

It seems there's a problem. I want to avoid a Windows Repair Install or Re-Install if possible.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

ALG

:)

Office User ALG, Aug 4, 2018
  2. Word Man Win User

Losing restore points

Sorry to hear that, if ALL are disappearing, then it wouldn't seem to be related to space allocated. All I can think of ATM to be sure it isn't space allocation is to, say, triple the space allocation (at least temporarily) and confrm that the behavior persists.

Word Man, Aug 4, 2018
  3. Tom Kunzo Win User
    Disappearing Restore Points

I have provided 59GB for the Restore Points.

And I have created one Restore Point that used up less than 200MB of the space provided.

Yet after a few days, it disappeared.

This keeps happening many times because I created them just to check whether they disappear like the rest.

They do.

And just in case anyone is curious whether I have enabled System Protection, the answer is that I have.

My understanding of how Restore Points work is that as more and more Restore Points are created and the spaced provided is squeezed, the older ones will be deleted to make space for the new ones.

This is a very logical step.

But as can be seen above I have 59GB while the Restore Points created came to less then 200MB!!!!

I think that the whole argument is becoming more and more futile.

By right Microsoft must do something to ensure that the Restore Points are not deleted in any way.

But so far, they have either passed the bug back to the users by suggesting all sorts of programming by the user to solve the problem or better still staying invisible!!!

Do you know what?

Not everyone is a programmer and if you screw up, you don't even have the Restore Point to save you!

Which is what the Restore Point is there in the first place!

I hope that users will wake up to the fact the Microsoft is passing the bug back to THEM!!!!

I suggest that users in the US awaken the top hierachy in Microsoft to the deplorable state of affairs in their company!!!

Tom Kunzo, Aug 4, 2018
  4. Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space?

Disappearing system restore points

System Restore Points will be deleted depending on how much space you have allocated to it.

Open Start, type: advanced system settings

Hit Enter

Click the System Protection tab

Click Configure

Under Disk space usage, use the slider to adjust how much space you want to allocate to system restore. The more you allocate, the more system restore points you will be able to keep.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space?

1. Why do Restore Points disappear long before using the allocated space? - Similar Threads - Why Restore Points

2. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  3. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  4. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore Points Disappear

System Restore Points Disappear: I am on Win 10 64 V 20043. On my Lenovo laptop I recently had a major problem with no Audio suddenly-Synaptics Audio. I did get it fixed on 17 December and promptly created a System restore point. I also did another Restore point a few days later. The dreaded Audio...
  6. Restoration Point Taking Long

Restoration Point Taking Long: I have an MSI GS63 Stealth Model and I'm trying to restore Windows 10 to a previous restoration point on June 14th. The machine already restart, ask for my password but it's been 24hrs since that and it still doesn't finish!! The machine keeps giving me those messages that...
  7. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  8. Why my restore points are disappearing?

Why my restore points are disappearing?: Today, I have seen that one windows restore point, the oldest (but only have 10 days) have disappeared. I have enough dedicated disk space for the restore points (yesterday, I had 11.4 Gb occupied of 23 Gb dedicated to restore system), no new one created, I don't have any...
  9. Disappearing restore points

Disappearing restore points: I created a restore point and at some time later, it disappears. After today's update for a security update for flash player, it's gone to be replaced by one for the update which is normal. I've been noticing this for a while. Later that restore point disappeared also. I...
  10. restore point disappears

restore point disappears: this problem is continuing from win xp pro, I was hoping after the upgrade to win 10 it would be fixed After creating a restore point, I get a success message, and the newly created restore point shows up for something like 5-10 minutes, then its gone 46130

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 restore point disappear 2018

2. why is system restore points not using all the disc space allocated