Windows 10: Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?

Discus and support Why do some exe files work and others do nothing? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Everything works on my PC. No viruses. EXE files work except that I have had 2 that don't: H&R Block income tax software and Hyundai map software. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mt_Ron, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Mt_Ron Win User

Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?

Everything works on my PC. No viruses. EXE files work except that I have had 2 that don't: H&R Block income tax software and Hyundai map software. I've double clicked on the exe files of these 2 softwares and the hourglass appears for just a second and then nothing. A search for why exe don't execute brought me to your page and to check the registry, mine is fine. Then to run a system scan that is delivered as a EXE file. If someone is having problems with all EXE files, perhaps your EXE wouldn't run, but I was able to run yours. It came back saying no virus, spyware or potentially unwanted software.

:)

Mt_Ron, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    NESHTA.A VIRUS REMOVED BUT .EXE NOT WORKING

Hi Khaled,

It is possible that you .exe is not working due to corrupted system files or account. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Does this happen with a specific application or with all of your application?
    • Have you tried creating a new admin account to check if the issue also with new account or only with the current account?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how
    to create a new admin account.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?

no .exe files work on my windows 10 PC

Hi,

Since your .exe files are not working, we suggest that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. You may follow the
    steps provided
    here

Regards.

Vanessa Oca, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?

1. Why do some exe files work and others do nothing? - Similar Threads - Why exe files

2. Why do some files appear in Recent and in jump lists and others do not?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do some files appear in Recent and in jump lists and others do not?: It's an endless cycle of trouble with Windows 11. No idea if this is a characteristic of Windows 11 or all Windows.My concern is with various document files, such as PDFs and Word docs. Files opened from explorer, files opened from within the particular application. Many...
  3. Why do some files appear in Recent and in jump lists and others do not?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do some files appear in Recent and in jump lists and others do not?: It's an endless cycle of trouble with Windows 11. No idea if this is a characteristic of Windows 11 or all Windows.My concern is with various document files, such as PDFs and Word docs. Files opened from explorer, files opened from within the particular application. Many...
  4. Why do windows 11 files not work with other devices?

Why do windows 11 files not work with other devices?: One day, I found an old mp4/mp3 player plays both! and I immediately tried to put an mp3 from my windows 11 computer onto it, but the device mp4 player couldn't play it. My brother had to use VLC good old VLC, hey? to change one the files properties so it could work on the...
  5. Why do windows 11 files not work with other devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do windows 11 files not work with other devices?: One day, I found an old mp4/mp3 player plays both! and I immediately tried to put an mp3 from my windows 11 computer onto it, but the device mp4 player couldn't play it. My brother had to use VLC good old VLC, hey? to change one the files properties so it could work on the...
  6. .exe Files Do Not Open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .exe Files Do Not Open: When I open any .exe file, it shows the following, "Windows can't open this type of file .exe". For most files/apps, I can do the run as admin option and it will work, but for other files mainly being built in apps, an error pops up.Also every time I open the pc and log in, a...
  7. .exe Files Do Not Open

.exe Files Do Not Open: When I open any .exe file, it shows the following, "Windows can't open this type of file .exe". For most files/apps, I can do the run as admin option and it will work, but for other files mainly being built in apps, an error pops up.Also every time I open the pc and log in, a...
  8. .exe Files Do Not Open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.: Many recent EXE application set up files will not run. This presumably started a few days ago, but I then thought it was confined to just one setup EXE (Ultimaker_Cura-4.10.0-amd64.exe). This morning I discovered it's many (but NOT all) of them. The inactive ones seem to be...
  10. Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?: Neither of the two browsers that I use are working. I have tried to open them, but they do not open. Other icons do work. Can someone give me a suggestion? I am sure it was something that I did to cause this problem. Thank you Care...