Windows 10: Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge

Discus and support Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Usually web links open correctly in the default browser that I've selected under Settings > Apps > Default Apps. But some web links seemto ignore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pete the other one, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge

Usually web links open correctly in the default browser that I've selected under Settings > Apps > Default Apps.

But some web links seemto ignore this and always open in Edge.

Here's an example - a weblink from Settings > Personalization>Taskbar:

Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge 0680c6c3-1871-4357-b396-c2bb9ad5b474?upload=true.jpg

Surely ALL web links shouldopen in the default browser that I've selected, shouldn't they ?

:)

Pete the other one, Sep 20, 2020
  2. ._151 Win User

Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open
    HTML:
    , I checked that edge is still my default browser.

._151, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Ann McNew Win User
    Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge

How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check again.

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click System and click default apps.

3. Click web browser and select Microsoft edge.

Hope this helps.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge

1. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge - Similar Threads - Why links STILL

2. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even...: Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even after the EU ruling in 2010; and dont say its to do with non URLs...
  3. Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even...: Why do some links STILL open with Edge after setting my default browser to NOT edge, even after the EU ruling in 2010; and dont say its to do with non URLs...
  4. Chrome is set as my default browser. Edge repeatedly opens links and seems to undo the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome is set as my default browser. Edge repeatedly opens links and seems to undo the...: I have tried the "pdf viewer" solution offered in an earlier thread - no luck - several times. Started and restarted. And Edge just keeps coming back. Can anyone help please? I am on Windows 11 Home, Version 10.0. 2261...
  5. Chrome is set as my default browser. Edge repeatedly opens links and seems to undo the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome is set as my default browser. Edge repeatedly opens links and seems to undo the...: I have tried the "pdf viewer" solution offered in an earlier thread - no luck - several times. Started and restarted. And Edge just keeps coming back. Can anyone help please? I am on Windows 11 Home, Version 10.0. 2261...
  6. Chrome is set as my default browser. Edge repeatedly opens links and seems to undo the...

7. Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?: Until one of the recent updates, all was working properly. Now all links that arrive in email in Outlook open with Edge, even though Firefox is set as the default browser and for all protocols that I am able to change. Edge is now shown only for those "Microsoft Edge"...
  8. Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?

Why do links in Outlook messages ignore the default browser settings and open with Edge ?: Until one of the recent updates, all was working properly. Now all links that arrive in email in Outlook open with Edge, even though Firefox is set as the default browser and for all protocols that I am able to change. Edge is now shown only for those "Microsoft Edge"...
  9. why is windows opening links in edge with chrome as my default

why is windows opening links in edge with chrome as my default: i've looked at other questions where the answer is to repair or reset edge which i have tried or switch to edge. i do not want to switch to edge i want to keep chrome.instead of acting like it is an error with edge and telling us to do things that will not work why not tell...
  10. Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser: Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open [html], I checked that edge is still my default browser....