Windows 10: Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

Discus and support Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Neither of the two browsers that I use are working. I have tried to open them, but they do not open. Other icons do work. Can someone give me a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Care Valkanas, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

Neither of the two browsers that I use are working. I have tried to open them, but they do not open. Other icons do work. Can someone give me a suggestion? I am sure it was something that I did to cause this problem.

Thank you

Care

:)

Care Valkanas, Jan 6, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not?

1. Why do some of my desktop icons work and others do not? - Similar Threads - Why desktop icons

2. Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...: i started experiencing this issue of my software icons showing on desktop and not on desktop folder in explorer ive tried everything but nothing as changed...
  3. Why do random Icons appear on my Desktop icons?

Why do random Icons appear on my Desktop icons?: Please help me troubleshoot this issue: I've noticed that random icons occasionally appear over my desktop icons, as seen in the screenshot attached.This time, it happens to be the New World logo. Although it doesn't hinder my computer usage, it strikes me as unusual.If...
  4. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  5. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  6. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

7. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...: Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in File Explorer. This may have started after I reverted back to windows 10 from Windows 11. Let me be clear: most icons do show on the desktop, and the ones that don't show up in one...
  8. Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why do some exe files work and others do nothing?: Everything works on my PC. No viruses. EXE files work except that I have had 2 that don't: H&R Block income tax software and Hyundai map software. I've double clicked on the exe files of these 2 softwares and the hourglass appears for just a second and then nothing. A search...
  9. System icons on desktop do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    System icons on desktop do not work: (Please note recent post DVD drive behaving oddly - Windows 10 Forums) I usually have Recycle Bin icon on the desktop. Yesterday it stopped working. Clicking on it did nothing. But its context menu came up ok. I created a new Icon by finding the address and it works. As a...
  10. Desktop icons do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons do not work: When I click on my desktop icons I get a small square window (by the icon) that I can click and put a check mark in. It does not open the program. In order for me to open program/icon I have to right click the icon and select open from the drop down menu. I can click icons in...