Windows 10: Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?

Discus and support Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a new Surface Laptop 2 with Windows 10 Home. It has bugged me right away that the WhatsApp and Messenger icons on the taskbar look wrong. Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NikitaRybalkin, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?

I have a new Surface Laptop 2 with Windows 10 Home. It has bugged me right away that the WhatsApp and Messenger icons on the taskbar look wrong. Does anyone have a solution to this? Or know why this is happening?

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)? 00ff73a6-385a-4bd4-b6aa-9ed5f1b84d78?upload=true.png

:)

NikitaRybalkin, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Apps icons do not appear in Windows 10 start menu

Hi Spawner,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

• Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to refer the link suggested by Rohit Siddegowda on October 9, 2015
    and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Start menu tiles are missing their icons

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 29, 2018
  3. mm75 Win User
    Start menu White box tile

Wait, wouldnt it be possible to use the default tile icon with your method as a temporary fix?

4. Cliff S Win User

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?

Start menu White box tile

If you would like to use one of these for your start menu tile, let me know. I will need the exact spelling and capitalization of the .exe file. For example for Macrium Reflect it's "reflect"(without quotes).

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)? [​IMG]

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)? [​IMG]

You will get a tile pack with the png icon renamed and a manifest.xml file, you need to place in the folder with the .exe file. Then delete the shortcut and tile like I told you earlier, then you just right click the .exe and pin to start. Remember it is important to delete the icon in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs first.

Cliff S, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?

1. Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)? - Similar Threads - Why taskbar icons

2. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing: HI All,I need few new web shortcuts in start menu but its not appearing. we copied relevant files under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\start shortcuts"We have an xml file which will help us to organize the shortcuts like, column and row and category Web...
  3. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing: HI All,I need few new web shortcuts in start menu but its not appearing. we copied relevant files under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\start shortcuts"We have an xml file which will help us to organize the shortcuts like, column and row and category Web...
  4. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3w4fhzigtbra1.png?width=649&format=png&auto=webp&s=c86e5e7427ac69cabfd38af3090440d644db8d5f https://preview.redd.it/ynk9qyigtbra1.png?width=652&format=png&auto=webp&s=062ee9ea000bac08e84f0c9dccf322f553c0b38b...
  6. Why are some tiles in the Start Menu highlighted in white?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are some tiles in the Start Menu highlighted in white?: Like the 2nd and 5th tiles here:What does it even mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-some-tiles-in-the-start-menu-highlighted/4c85ab0c-90e4-43ed-a923-4ad69b35a42b
  7. Why are some tiles in the Start Menu highlighted in white?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are some tiles in the Start Menu highlighted in white?: Like the 2nd and 5th tiles here:What does it even mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-some-tiles-in-the-start-menu-highlighted/4c85ab0c-90e4-43ed-a923-4ad69b35a42b
  8. Why are some tiles in the Start Menu highlighted in white?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Why are some of my pinned Start Menu icons blue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are some of my pinned Start Menu icons blue?: Hello. Thanks for helping in advance. So, I added Chrome and Firefox pinned to my start menu. However Firefox is blue while Chrome is the color gray which I set as my default color. What gives? Thanks! 93833
  10. Start menu White box tile

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu White box tile: I started having a problem (it used to display correctly, it just randomly changed without me doing anything) with the way opera web browser shows up in the start menu when it is pinned. It appears as just a white box without even a custom colour applied. Every other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are start menu icons in boxes