Windows 10: Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

Discus and support Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Anyone here knows why my search bar doens't work? I can't type anything at all on the search bar. The line cursor is there, but it won't proceed what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nurhusni, Oct 22, 2021.

1. nurhusni Win User

Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

Anyone here knows why my search bar doens't work? I can't type anything at all on the search bar. The line cursor is there, but it won't proceed what I type.It doesn't only happen on the search bar. This also happens on "find a setting" search bar on the settings. The Microsoft-based login window like when you log in on Microsoft Teams software or Outlook or when you register a new email on an email app also doesn't work. You can't type anything on the email and password bar.[I had tried following all of the methods on this guide]https://www.wintips.org/fix-cannot-type-in-windows-10-search-

:)

nurhusni, Oct 22, 2021

2. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 22, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 22, 2021
  4. Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

Issues with using Search bar not working on Windows 10

Hi Amirek,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using Search bar on Windows 10. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "My search bar stopped working and despite all of the "fixes" suggested", what are the troubleshooting steps which you have performed to resolve the issue?
    • Are you getting any error message when you click on Search bar?
    • Have you install any third party security software on the computer?

Method 1: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided in the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Method 2: Also I recommend you to boot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue is occurring in it or not.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 22, 2021
Thema:

Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

1. Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work? - Similar Threads - Why search bar

2. Why is my search bar in the task bar not working ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my search bar in the task bar not working ?: My search bar in the task bar is not working. Also, I am facing a problem during google meet while sharing my screen it hangs and neither it maximizes nor minimizes. Even windows remain the same but conversation stopes. Can you help why is this happening. Recently I noticed a...
  3. Why is my search bar in the task bar not working ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my search bar in the task bar not working ?: My search bar in the task bar is not working. Also, I am facing a problem during google meet while sharing my screen it hangs and neither it maximizes nor minimizes. Even windows remain the same but conversation stopes. Can you help why is this happening. Recently I noticed a...
  4. Why isn't my Search Bar Working?

in Cortana
    Why isn't my Search Bar Working?: My Search Bar opens for about 1 second-ish before closing. I don't know how to fix it, I feel like I have tried everything. Possibly unrelated but my mouse is also freezing and lagging in some games specifically Destiny 2 and Valorant...
  5. Why isn't my Search Bar Working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my Search Bar Working?: My Search Bar opens for about 1 second-ish before closing. I don't know how to fix it, I feel like I have tried everything. Possibly unrelated but my mouse is also freezing and lagging in some games specifically Destiny 2 and Valorant...
  6. Why isn't my Search Bar Working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My search bar is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My search bar is not working: Hello,The searchbar on my computer is not working, whenever I try to search for anything, it pulls up like this, and cycles for a moment, and then closes out. I have already tried using the troubleshooter, and stopping and starting the processes related in the task manager,...
  8. Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

in Cortana
    Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?: Anyone here knows why my search bar doens't work? I can't type anything at all on the search bar. The line cursor is there, but it won't proceed what I type.It doesn't only happen on the search bar. This also happens on "find a setting" search bar on the settings. The...
  9. Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do the search bar & Microsoft-based login window on my laptop not work?: Anyone here knows why my search bar doens't work? I can't type anything at all on the search bar. The line cursor is there, but it won't proceed what I type.It doesn't only happen on the search bar. This also happens on "find a setting" search bar on the settings. The...
  10. why doesnt my windows search bar does not work

in Cortana
    why doesnt my windows search bar does not work: why doesnt my windows search bar does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-my-windows-search-bar-does-not-work/b4584712-227c-4b55-9d30-d647a3210a10