Windows 10: Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and...

Discus and support Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I bought a new computer because I was sure the problem was lack of RAM. Now I guess it isn't. When I open a folder in windows explorer, I want to see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Confusal, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Confusal Win User

Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and...

I bought a new computer because I was sure the problem was lack of RAM. Now I guess it isn't.

When I open a folder in windows explorer, I want to see all my photos (big PNG) with extra large icons. I want bigger, but the computer gods have determined that nobody has eyesight as poor as mine, so nobody could possibly want thumbnails any larger. That I get past with magnification, so I'm not asking about that unless somebody has a miracle option to make bigger thumbnails.

The problem is my thumbnails only load when they come onto the screen, and it takes about 5 seconds to load a row or two of thumbnails. This seems ridiculous, since I can open the folder, then leave and come back, and it has waited for me so I can watch it load photo by photo as I scroll down.

I searched the internet, and got an article starting off with something like group policy editing, and it didn't seem to exist as instructed, so I gave up.

I did download a program called AC-Dsee, and it can open full screen photos faster than Microsoft can load a thumbnail. It's now faster to find a photo by opening the first one in AC-Dsee and just scrolling through the hundreds of photos in the folder, since as I said, Microsoft takes most of a second to load a single tiny thumbnail, but AC-Dsee can load the whole picture without a noticeable delay. The problem is, I want to view thumbnails.

Can I make it preload the thumbnails and save them? I wouldn't mind if I could open the folder, go get a cup of coffee, and have thumbnails visible when I get back. It won't. It will load the ones that are visible, then make me wait as I scroll line by line down the folder. Ridiculous.

What am I doing wrong? I can't believe the operating system is not designed to show me my files in real time.

:)

Confusal, Dec 9, 2019
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 9, 2019
  4. mixa Win User

Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and...

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and... wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Why do thumbnails take so long to load in windows explorer on windows 10 with 64GB RAM and... - Similar Threads - Why thumbnails long

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  4. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why do windows updates take SO long to install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do windows updates take SO long to install?: I ran windows update this morning at 09:30 GMT and it found "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.401.10.0 - Current Channel Broad" was available. It then took 30 minuted to install it! This is an inordinately LONG time! Why does...
  6. Why do windows updates take SO long to install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do windows updates take SO long to install?: I ran windows update this morning at 09:30 GMT and it found "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.401.10.0 - Current Channel Broad" was available. It then took 30 minuted to install it! This is an inordinately LONG time! Why does...
  7. Why do windows updates take SO long to install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Why is the weather taking so long to load?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the weather taking so long to load?: Why is the weather taking so long to load? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-weather-taking-so-long-to-load/b385727d-d338-4d92-8bfb-aa555fd02704
  9. Why do updates take so long to complete

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why do updates take so long to complete: Catching up with updates on some of my machines today. Gone are the days when windows 7 updates used to sail through with little problems to follow. Today, I am waiting for the installing of KB4566782 to complete. after 2 hours it has reached 75% (just gone to 76%). I am...
  10. Windows explorer: Thumbnails take a long time to generate

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer: Thumbnails take a long time to generate: Hello everyone. I recently noticed that it would take Windows a long time to generate the thumbnails in Windows Explorer when there are sub-folders a couple of levels deep. If there are no sub-folders or sub-folders just one level deep, then the thumbnails would instantly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why it is take so long to load the thumbnail

2. why does it take thumbnails so long to display on my desktop