Windows 10: Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It?

Discus and support Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft / Community, I was just forced through a round of updates which is, well, underwhelming. I'd like to know if there's a way to abate or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrettShinn1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It?

Hi Microsoft / Community,

I was just forced through a round of updates which is, well, underwhelming.

I'd like to know if there's a way to abate or thwart in future updates (let alone reverse) something that's happened.

My start menu has removed all my own software shortcuts and utilities and returned to what it was when I first installed, complete with Candy Crush and other bull shit games and apps I never used or asked for. This is the backbone of my issues with updates and I've had quite a long battle with avoiding them, only to eventually be forced into them.

I would appreciate some information that saves me the time of removing all the things I don't need and replacing them with my own things every.time.I.update.

Thanks,

Brett

:)

BrettShinn1, Nov 20, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Windows 10 start menu won't open

I had the start menu and Cortana issue some time ago, (no start menu or Cortana) but then there was an update

and it started working again.

Now it went away again and I've tried all the listed suggestions to no avail.

I would go back to my 8.1 but it's too late to undo it.

Grrr!

marysvilleman, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It?

Windows 10 "Couldn't complete updates"

This hasn't helped.

I did have some problems with step 3 and not being allowed to rename folders though I managed to work through that.

Windows still goes through the update process, gets to 100% installed updates and then says "we couldn't complete updates, undoing changes".

I tried both the steps listed and the Full Reset Windows updates link.

NoMuffinForYou, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It?

1. Why do Updates Completely Reset My Start Menu, and Can I Undo It? - Similar Threads - Why Updates Completely

2. Can I undo a "reset" of an app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I undo a "reset" of an app?: Hi, I was having issues with Minecraft Windows 10, so I went to settings and reset it. I thought that would only affect config files but it deleted everything. Is there a way to get my files more specifically my worlds back that were deleted when I reset the app?...
  3. Unable to complete the update undoing changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to complete the update undoing changes: All my systems in my office will not update and gives me the error undoing changes. I have tried many things on the web but to no avail.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-complete-the-update-undoing-changes/0629ff89-f37a-4ea4-be87-67cf778324c2
  4. Cannot complete update/Undoing changes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot complete update/Undoing changes: After troubleshooting a problem with my HP Pavilion desktop running Windows 10, tech support told me that I had to reinstall the operating system; which I did by following the link provided to Microsoft and downloading the installation file. That solved my problem. However,...
  5. Couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes

Couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes: Hello everyone, So I have been trying for a month or 2 to install a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 20H2, that update being KB5000802. Last update I could install was on February 24 KB4023057. Everytime I try to restart my pc and install the cumulative one...
  6. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  7. Websites pinned to my Start Menu now launch as apps. How do I undo this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Websites pinned to my Start Menu now launch as apps. How do I undo this?: [ATTACH] I have several websites pinned to my Start Menu for quick and easy access, but for some reason (presumably an update) they all now launch as apps with very limited tools to choose from. Sure it still provides the option to display it in Microsoft Edge, but that's...
  8. Couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes: This issue started specifically with KB4566782 (error code 0x800f0922), but I uninstalled the previous couple of updates and then tried to reinstall them (incase they had been installed incorrectly before), but now I’m getting the same error even trying to reinstall those...
  9. Unable to complete Updates - undoing

Unable to complete Updates - undoing: Hi, we had a power shortage and when I reopened the pc, I had a message that there was an update. The updates got stuck at 94% after 4 hours of running. I did a reboot and got the same thing, it was stuck at 94% overnight. I reboot again and got the message We could not...
  10. How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles): The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method? 7145

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does my start menu reset