Windows 10: Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup?

Discus and support Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I shutdown my machine its because I want to go and do something else. I don't want to wait with my machine not powered down waiting for the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndrewScott3, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup?

When I shutdown my machine its because I want to go and do something else. I don't want to wait with my machine not powered down waiting for the update to complete to make sure it hasn't trashed this machine as it did my last.

Also when starting up I want to get in and access my machine and again not wait until it has completed, and then test for failures in the operation of the machine.

I know you can run the update in background but based on past issues with the last update which forced me to buy a new machine I have no trust in a 'harmless' update.

Surely there must be an option to update at my request, and not be forced to update when Microsoft wants to? And no I don't want to spend more money for this option.

I backup regularly to a 2Tb drive since loosing all my data to a MS update, but I have no option to do this once the update process has begun.

Its like it lies in wait and with absolutely no notice it will start an update.

:)

AndrewScott3, Nov 13, 2018
  2. sachind1 Win User

script running on Startup and Shutdown of System is not working

Steps

• Open a run box
    • type in "gpedit.msc"
    • Expand Computer Configuration
    • Expand Windows Settings
    • Select Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
    • Double click Startup
    • Click Show Files and copy/paste your file in to this folder
    • Click the Add button on the startup properties
    • Click Browse and double click on your script to choose it.
    • "OK" out of all windows to apply the new settings.
    I am generally Giving Path of My python to the startup and shutdown as steps given above

sachind1, Nov 13, 2018
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup?

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup?

1. Why do updates have to occur on shutdown or startup? - Similar Threads - Why updates occur

2. Why do I have such low ram at startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I have such low ram at startup?: Every since June 2020 I haven't had ram to use for gaming I even have ReadyBoost setup and still its not letting me game even after I upgraded to Windows 11 :updated to Windows...
  3. Why do I have such low ram at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have such low ram at startup?: Every since June 2020 I haven't had ram to use for gaming I even have ReadyBoost setup and still its not letting me game even after I upgraded to Windows 11 :updated to Windows...
  4. startup and shutdown scripts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    startup and shutdown scripts: my computer is being deployed to and i cant find help ANYWHERE. need to know if startup scripts can help me??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-and-shutdown-scripts/0a5a1b22-cdd8-4811-9452-08970cfa80e7
  5. Thermal shutdown occurred

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Thermal shutdown occurred: Hi there! I own HP omen Ax250wm. I know that there are many threads for this issue. But none of them worked out for me. My laptop worked nice before. After I power on, my fans spin like crazy. Caps lock flashes 5 times and I get this issue System temperature 90D. When I...
  6. Error occur in startup

Error occur in startup: When I run my laptop it auto start diagnosing my laptop after that it show error: Automatic repair could not repair your pc......... ........ Log file C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\srt\srttrial.txt After that: I use some fix from Microsoft website Like- 1 Chkdsk...
  7. Shutdown and startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown and startup: Hello . My windows 10 pc suddenly has been taking ages to shut off. I press shutdown and it takes 30 seconds for the shutdown screen to show. This randomly started 1 day. I reset the pc, keeping only my games and some documents and it,s still the same. It also takes longer to...
  8. A thermal shutdown occurred

A thermal shutdown occurred: Fans are running quietly and no surfaces are warm or hot to the touch. What is causing this? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-thermal-shutdown-occurred/bc6345f0-d924-4f12-accf-db170c780be8
  9. WILD SHUTDOWN STARTUP

WILD SHUTDOWN STARTUP: I have a system with a lot of memory and a ton of storage space internal and external. I often will have EDGE, EXCEL and WORD open and running with several files open in each. No problem until I leave them all open for too long and memory bleed leaves me gasping for air...
  10. Shutdown/startup problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown/startup problem: I have kind of a weird problem that went back to the Windows 8 days as well When I shutdown from my desktop, I have no problems when I start up again. (I'm the administrator if that makes a difference). When my wife shuts down from her desktop and I try to start up...