Windows 10: Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the...

Discus and support Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the 2nd time in 16mths, my Intel i5 powered computer has failed to boot up following Windows 10 updates. I am fed up of with these Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CliveHenderson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the...

For the 2nd time in 16mths, my Intel i5 powered computer has failed to boot up following Windows 10 updates. I am fed up of with these Microsoft debacles.

Why am I forced to endure hours of lost time fixing the chaos Microsoft imposes on me? Financial compensation for users' inconvenience is the ONLY answer. Does anyone share this view?

The firs time this happened it was due to a corruption of the boot file - the precise name eludes me. Y'day the cause was C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop being "unavailable".

I desperately want to get take myself out of Miscrosoft's tyrannical enthusiasm for imposing chaos on my life.

:)

CliveHenderson, Apr 12, 2019
  2. Beven Win User

Critical Structure Corruption Windows 10

I keep getting this error "Critical Structure Corruption" and can't seem to fix it.

It happens while I am busy on my laptop. Here are some of the steps I have tried so far to resolve this with no success.

1. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic = no problems so RAM looks good.
    2. Check The CPU with Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool = PASS all
    3. Drivers update, I used driver booster and did need to update 18 drivers but was able to update with no issues.
    4. Update software and drivers, well it was suggested that I update BlueStacks but the update failed, bluestacks mentioned that it might be an issue so as I do not use the tool I uninstalled the software altogether.
    5. Updated Windows, this I do regularly and automatically so no big updates were missed.
    6. Defragged the machine - system is optimized
    7. Ran anti-virus check and all's good
    8. Ran CCleaner

Now I might mention I'm not a super user, but I'm able to follow suggestions quite well.

Any help will be appreciated.

Screenshot:

Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the... GD27Q.jpg

Beven, Apr 12, 2019
  3. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Apr 12, 2019
  4. malware Win User

Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the...

Microsoft Windows Home Server Corrupts Files

Microsoft has warned Windows Home Server users not to edit files stored on their backup systems with several of its programs, including Vista Photo Gallery and Office's OneNote and Outlook, as well as files generated by popular finance software such as Quicken and QuickBooks. "When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to the home server," Microsoft said in a support document posted last week. The document went on to list the software, which includes Windows Vista Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, OneNote 2003, OneNote 2007, Outlook 2007, Microsoft Money 2007 and SyncToy 2.0 Beta. Others programs, however, may also corrupt files stored on a home server powered by Microsoft's operating system. "Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent applications, with Intuit Quicken and with QuickBooks program files," the document said. "Until an update for Windows Home Server is available, we recommend that [you] do not use the programs that are listed to save or to edit program-specific files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based system."

Source: Computerworld

malware, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the...

1. Why do Windows Updates regularly cause the deletion / corruption of a file critical to the... - Similar Threads - Why Updates regularly

2. Regular Windows Corruption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regular Windows Corruption: I'm hoping for some help with an issue where Windows is corrupting on my laptop every 3ish months the past 18 months, requiring a clean install. This issue has spanned both Windows 11 and Windows 10 installs.I haven't noticed a fixed pattern leading up to the issues....
  3. Regular Windows Corruption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regular Windows Corruption: I'm hoping for some help with an issue where Windows is corrupting on my laptop every 3ish months the past 18 months, requiring a clean install. This issue has spanned both Windows 11 and Windows 10 installs.I haven't noticed a fixed pattern leading up to the issues....
  4. Blue screen - boot critical file corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen - boot critical file corrupted: Hi,I unexpectedly had a blue screen several times, where automatic repair failed repeatedly and restarting didn’t work.I have a message saying firewall is turned off when it shouldn’t and internet connection is not available when it should be.I have the log file and the...
  5. Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.: Hi I recently just did a feature and quality update for Windows 10 that has my computer messed up. I tried all the common solutions. DISM, System Restore, Troubleshooters, Restarting Windows, etc. None worked. I get an error code or a message saying a file is corrupted or...
  6. Windows update kb5004237 causing critical error.

Windows update kb5004237 causing critical error.: My moms computer was being buggy, so she restarted it. Upon restarting, the screen was black for a moment before saying "Hi" and then "This will take a few minutes"After those few minutes or whatever went by, behold, the start menu doesn't work, says critical error. Wifi does...
  7. why is windows update corrupting system files

why is windows update corrupting system files: I have two PCs from different makers and have the same issue on them both. For some while now, when WU installs updates I sometimes get a few bits of odd behaviour. So I run the sfc utility and it says it has found corrupt files and corrected them. Then all is ok until the...
  8. Deleting corrupted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting corrupted files: I have a USB drive stick which has somehow got some corrupted folders - see below screens shot. I have no idea how these folders arose, and am trying to delete them. when I try to delete them in MS dos it fails, saying the syntax is wrong - even though it delete the...
  9. Why do .eml files stored in the regular file system! not allow delete or move?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do .eml files stored in the regular file system! not allow delete or move?: The entry in the context menu is missing, the delete key has no effect, and the command are dimmed in the explorer ribbon. I have deinstalled Mail, but this did not help. I need full tect search on these mails, becuase I store them in the file system together with other...
  10. Cause of corrupt system files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cause of corrupt system files?: I've been in the process of removing data from a Win 10 machine for several weeks now, during which time it has not been connected to the internet, and no new programs have been installed on it. However, today, when I was trying to run malware checks on the appdata folder,...