Windows 10: Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults?

Discus and support Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why do I find so many defaults changed after an update? Most common obvious one is that I find Microsoft OneNote open on the desktop and have to turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lundavra, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Lundavra Win User

Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults?

Why do I find so many defaults changed after an update?

Most common obvious one is that I find Microsoft OneNote open on the desktop and have to turn off.

The most annoying is that I try to print something and find it is going to OneNote or somewhere else because my normal printer driver has disappeared.

There are often othe defaults changed.

Years ago we used to be able to set the default view in Windows / File Explorer but now we are lucky if any changes last any time at all.

:)

Lundavra, Jul 25, 2019
  2. newfellow Win User

How to reset whole netsh? (Windows 7)

Was wondering has the commands changed somehow since on Windows XP and on Windows Vista 'NETSH INT RESET ALL' cleaned entire netsh up from top to bottom.

Now on Windows 7 this same command says no go and only way I can see it is by building .cmd/.bat which does something like:

Code: netsh winsock reset all netsh int 6to4 reset all netsh int ipv4 reset all netsh int ipv6 reset all netsh int httpstunnel reset all netsh int isatap reset all netsh int portproxy reset all netsh int tcp reset all netsh int teredo reset all[/quote] now the king of the hill of bugs is this doesn't actually do even it's job even after reboot. values setup to are not reset to defaults. (I know I could add more entire list of entries there is, but looking for clean delete/wipe settings & default everything not to dump entire list of resets.)

So, anyone got a plan B?

newfellow, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults?

How to reset Windows 10 settings to default?

Hi,

As per your concern, some settings on Windows 10 have default options. You can reset Windows 10 to its defaults app by following this steps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • On the left side, select Default app.

Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults? ea3e6a93-7042-4c55-9b4e-a912780c3b97.png

• Under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click Reset.
    Regarding your concern with default button on each setting, you have a great idea. We suggest that you share your comments on our Windows Feedback hub for us to improve our services. Simply type
    Windows Feedback on the Start menu.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults?

1. Why do Windows updates reset so many defaults? - Similar Threads - Why updates reset

2. Why there is so many changes in Windows 11 ?!?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why there is so many changes in Windows 11 ?!?: Well, I do not have a question, but only a comment. I recently purchased brand new computer with "Windows 11 Pro" and I am co disappointed that I purchased electronic version of Windows 10 Pro and reinstalled on my computer. In Windows 11 is so many changes to figure out,...
  3. Why do i have so many Windows 7 updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do i have so many Windows 7 updates?: It says i need over 90 updates to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-have-so-many-windows-7-updates/c125578d-1ef8-43e8-8891-3af93a8055fe
  4. Why do i have so many Windows 7 updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do i have so many Windows 7 updates?: It says i need over 90 updates to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-have-so-many-windows-7-updates/c125578d-1ef8-43e8-8891-3af93a8055fe
  5. Why so many Security Intelligence updates?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why so many Security Intelligence updates?: I have no issues with Defender, but why so many updates for the Security Intelligence updates? I get Security Intelligence updates for KB2267602 every 2 hours or so, all of which are successfully updating and everything. This includes the most up to date version too. I find...
  6. So many updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    So many updates: Do we really need all of them? Can we get rid of some of the old ones? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-many-updates/d6df72e3-3514-4669-867c-a25fd99526c3
  7. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  8. The update for Adobe is normal, but why so many cumulative updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    The update for Adobe is normal, but why so many cumulative updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". The update for Adobe is normal, but why so many cumulative updates? A screenshot is attached ......
  9. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  10. Why so many builds

in Windows 10 Support
    Why so many builds: I found this in the mail this morning Windows 10 S is ready for testing (but just barely) | ZDNet Now I am no expert or indeed am I that savvy re computing as some of you will know but I have to say that after using 7 for such a long time and going through what I saw (as I...