Windows 10: Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

Discus and support Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; What I am asked to do does not make sense, so wanted to understand it a bit better before doing anything risky...Child has Windows 10 laptop account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Philip Nikolov, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

What I am asked to do does not make sense, so wanted to understand it a bit better before doing anything risky...Child has Windows 10 laptop account linked to Microsoft *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The account is "Standard User" rather than "Admin" as recommendedParent has "Admin" account on same device, linked to Microsoft *** Email address is removed for privacy *** added *** Email address is removed for privacy *** under "Add a family member" on "Family & other users" screen Child logged in as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, accepted invitation.But the device is still not linked. Help screen encourages to tell parent to "Allow" the account to log in. That is done.Help screen al

:)

Philip Nikolov, Jan 31, 2023
  2. JS1701 Win User

Can a local user be changed to a child account?

Windows 10 Home
    ver 1909

Hello,

I'm trying to see if there's a way to change a local account (standard user) to a child account so it can be managed in the Microsoft Family?

I tried to follow the steps here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-c8f8cca1d52f

but there's no option for "family and other users".

They do not have Microsoft accounts. Do I need to basically create a new child account at Windows setup?

Any assistance appreciated.

JS1701, Jan 31, 2023
  3. Jan123 Win User
    Child Account Get Greyed Out

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did the following instead.

I have another laptop, 2 weeks old, with Windows 10 Home on it.

On that one, I tried the same steps with the child account, and got the exact same results.

Jan123, Jan 31, 2023
  4. Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

Merge local child account with Microsoft account?

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kindly follow the steps.

1. Login to your child's local account.

2. Press Windows key and go to Settings > Account > Your Account > Sign-in with a Microsoft Account.

3. Enter your child's Microsoft email and password and click Next.

4. Now enter your child's old local account password.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

This will not remove any data from your child's account, instead connect your child's Microsoft Account to their respective local account. Make sure you add your child to the family from accounts.live.com

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jan 31, 2023
Thema:

Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

1. Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work - Similar Threads - Why does child

2. How to change from child account to local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change from child account to local account: I have been looking for this for a while. I signed into a child account in Microsoft Family and want to change back to a local account because it's restricting me from Google I am using Microsoft Edge by the way. I have looked and cannot see a single button that says "change...
  3. Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work: What I am asked to do does not make sense, so wanted to understand it a bit better before doing anything risky...Child has Windows 10 laptop account linked to Microsoft *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The account is "Standard User" rather than "Admin" as...
  4. Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does child account have to be local and how does it even work: What I am asked to do does not make sense, so wanted to understand it a bit better before doing anything risky...Child has Windows 10 laptop account linked to Microsoft *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The account is "Standard User" rather than "Admin" as...
  5. How does "Request Access" for a child account with parental controls work

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How does "Request Access" for a child account with parental controls work: I have a family account set up with parental controls enabled for my children's account. Everything appears to be working fine, but I don't understand how "request access" to a website works. I have the parental controls set up to only allow my kids to go to 3 websites....
  6. Camera App does not open on Child Account

Camera App does not open on Child Account: In response to "Camera App does not open on Child Account" originally posted here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-app-does-not-open-on-child-account/4eb57152-5ef4-46d0-bdd8-3d0ee7c66b72 I had the same issue. Turns out, i had to change the age...
  7. Local Administrator Account does not have write access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local Administrator Account does not have write access: Hi, My local account, for whatever reason, only has read and execute permissions instead of all permissions (as would be expected of an admin account). I've turned UAC off, but still can't get this fixed. What do I need to do to get write access so I can update a config...
  8. Does CloneApp even work?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does CloneApp even work?: Just going thru a new workstation build and came across this app - thinking it would excellent for transferring settings from the old machine to the new one. I let it "backup" the 50 or so apps that I have in play and then built out the new machine. Tested it with Chrome...
  9. Does a child account automatically become an adult account?

Does a child account automatically become an adult account?: How does a child account become a normal adult account? Is this something that happens automatically at a certain age? Or do I as head family account holder have to initiate something? The reason I ask is because trying to use Edge on a child account is proving tiresome....
  10. Why does Microsoft install Apps on a local account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft install Apps on a local account?: I have clean installed build 9626 more than once on a desktop computer and have booted many times. I use a local account only which is an option in the installation if you scroll down on the page where a new account can be established with Microsoft you will see use a local...