Windows 10: Why does Close not end the task?

Discus and support Why does Close not end the task? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been using Microsoft products since DOS 2.10, so I understand the technical reasons, but I don't understand the design choice. If I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Cam3n, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Cam3n Win User

Why does Close not end the task?

I've been using Microsoft products since DOS 2.10, so I understand the technical reasons, but I don't understand the design choice.

If I have a program that is misbehaving/hanging etc and I right click on the icon on the Taskbar and click "close". Why does it not believe me? Why do I have to then open the Task Manager and end the task? Close should trust me and be smarter than that!

Incidentally, I also find it interesting that this forum doesn't have a topic choice for handling programs, which is a large part of what an OS does. So I'm choosing Performance & system failures as a random close second.

:)

Cam3n, Nov 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 Task Manager "End Task" does not end task.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1) Does it show any error message while performing End Task Through
    Task Manager?

I suggest you to perform Safe Mode with Networking and then try to end the task and check if you’re able to

Safe mode:

Please follow below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
      Shift key and click on Restart.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Click on Startup Settings.
    • Click on Restart.
    • When your PC starts up, you'll see a light blue screen with the Startup Settings menu. You can now choose an option using your keyboard (number keys or function keys). To start up in Safe Mode, press
      4 or F4. To start up in Safe Mode with networking, press
      5 or F5. To start up in Safe Mode with the Command Prompt, press
      6 or F6. If you change your mind and decide you don't want to boot into Safe Mode after all, hit
      Enter to boot normally.
    Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Site links not working in Chrome or Edge

Hi,

Have you tried resetting your browser? If not, we suggest you to do so. To reset Edge, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Browser Settings.

• Clear
      Browser Data.

• Close the browser and launch it again.

If the issue persist, follow these other steps:

• Go to
      Task Manager.

• Click on
      MicrosoftedgeCP.exe

• End the task.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Why does Close not end the task?

Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Why does Close not end the task?

1. Why does Close not end the task? - Similar Threads - Why does Close

2. Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.: Several times each day my taskbar at the bottom of each page stops coming up when I scroll down to the bottom. At this time It still functions properly on just the desktop. So I have to go to Task Manager, scroll down to find Windows Explorer and then click on the "restart...
  3. Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.: Several times each day my taskbar at the bottom of each page stops coming up when I scroll down to the bottom. At this time It still functions properly on just the desktop. So I have to go to Task Manager, scroll down to find Windows Explorer and then click on the "restart...
  4. The new end task button on the taskbar does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The new end task button on the taskbar does not work: When I use the end task button, it does nothing, even for programs with 1 service running. I have to use the task manager anyway. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-end-task-button-on-the-taskbar-does-not/54cfe6e7-bc0d-4be7-9a02-8ec01f066e6a
  5. The new end task button on the taskbar does not work

The new end task button on the taskbar does not work: When I use the end task button, it does nothing, even for programs with 1 service running. I have to use the task manager anyway. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-end-task-button-on-the-taskbar-does-not/54cfe6e7-bc0d-4be7-9a02-8ec01f066e6a
  6. Why does SearchApp.exe keep popping up after ending process tree/ending task?

in Cortana
    Why does SearchApp.exe keep popping up after ending process tree/ending task?: After ending task or ending process tree in details tab of task manager it pops up again for a while.I have to end task or end process tree more than once for it to go away and then it comes back eventually....
  7. Why does SearchApp.exe keep popping up after ending process tree/ending task?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does SearchApp.exe keep popping up after ending process tree/ending task?: After ending task or ending process tree in details tab of task manager it pops up again for a while.I have to end task or end process tree more than once for it to go away and then it comes back eventually....
  8. Why does SearchApp.exe keep popping up after ending process tree/ending task?

9. ending task??

in Windows 10 Support
    ending task??: trying to end a task in the task manager and it keeps jumping around how do I stop it so I can find the task I want to end!! 119891
  10. IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end

in Browsers and Email
    IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end: When I use Internet Explorer 11 on my Win10 x64 computer (with latest updates) after a few days (or internet sessions) I find IE is unresponsive (no new webpages will open) then I go to Task Manager and I see about 10 or 12 instances of "Internet Explorer" running with an...