Windows 10: Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group?

Discus and support Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm aware that CompatTelRunner.exe is a legit Microsoft performance analysis tool, which sends telemetry data back to Microsoft so they can... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Braaino, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Braaino Win User

Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group?

Hi,

I'm aware that CompatTelRunner.exe is a legit Microsoft performance analysis tool, which sends telemetry data back to Microsoft so they can better their product. Apart from numerous complaints about performance impacts caused by this executable, I was surprised today to find it also enumerates the built-in Administrator's group on my Windows10 workstation...! What is the process doing enumerating this (or really any) group?? I'll paste the event below:

Log Name: Security
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    Date: 10/18/2018 3:24:52 AM
    Event ID: 4799
    Task Category: Security Group Management
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Audit Success
    User: N/A
    Computer: mywin10.<mydomain>.com
    Description:
    A security-enabled local group membership was enumerated.

Subject:
    Security ID: SYSTEM
    Account Name: MYWIN10$
    Account Domain: <MYDOMAIN>
    Logon ID: 0x3E7

Group:
    Security ID: BUILTIN\Administrators
    Group Name: Administrators
    Group Domain: Builtin

Process Information:
    Process ID: 0x1bd4
    Process Name: C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />
    <EventID>4799</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>0</Level>
    <Task>13826</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8020000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-18T10:24:52.478717900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>573250</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{47AAF424-0322-0001-75F4-AA472203D401}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="616" ThreadID="5408" />
    <Channel>Security</Channel>
    <Computer>mywin10.<mydomain>.com</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="TargetUserName">Administrators</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetDomainName">Builtin</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetSid">S-1-5-32-544</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectUserSid">S-1-5-18</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectUserName">MYWIN10$</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectDomainName">MYDOMAIN</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectLogonId">0x3e7</Data>
    <Data Name="CallerProcessId">0x1bd4</Data>
    <Data Name="CallerProcessName">C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Why does a performance telemetry tool need to do this?

:)

Braaino, Oct 18, 2018

2. builtin\administrators

If it is using that much space it may be your OWN profile.

Go to C:\Users, check the space each user is using if you profile is the same as 60GB, I would not recommend deleting it as its your profile.

That builtin\administrators is the administrator group.

tamara_sadel, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    What’s new in Office 365 Groups administration

Source: What's new in Office 365 Groups administration—June 2016 update - Office Blogs

Brink, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group?

Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group?

1. Why does CompatTelRunner.exe enumerate the builtin\Administrator's group? - Similar Threads - Why does CompatTelRunner

2. Device is not enumerating while issuing powercycle through devcon64.exe command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device is not enumerating while issuing powercycle through devcon64.exe command: On my Window I have SSD connected in one of the PCIe slots. So, while testing the SSDI'm using the devcon application to power cycle my SSD. After running the devcon App my SSD is not enumerating when issuing powercycle throughdevcon64.exe restart "@deviceID" cmd.In Gen3 PCIe...
  3. Device is not enumerating while issuing powercycle through devcon64.exe command

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device is not enumerating while issuing powercycle through devcon64.exe command: On my Window I have SSD connected in one of the PCIe slots. So, while testing the SSDI'm using the devcon application to power cycle my SSD. After running the devcon App my SSD is not enumerating when issuing powercycle throughdevcon64.exe restart "@deviceID" cmd.In Gen3 PCIe...
  4. why does an exe stop working on some machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does an exe stop working on some machines?: This is an exe developed by me, in use by 5000+ users in 41 countries. Until recently, running under win 10 and win 11. No meaningful changes for the past year. Development machine is win 10 where exe still runs properly. Now fails to launch on two systems 1 WIN 10 Vision, 1...
  5. why does an exe stop working on some machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does an exe stop working on some machines?: This is an exe developed by me, in use by 5000+ users in 41 countries. Until recently, running under win 10 and win 11. No meaningful changes for the past year. Development machine is win 10 where exe still runs properly. Now fails to launch on two systems 1 WIN 10 Vision, 1...
  6. CompatTelRunner issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CompatTelRunner issues: I've recently read on this forum that to fix the "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" error even though PC Health Check says it supports it perfectly fine, CompatTelRunner.exe has to run. So I tried running it with a command, did...
  7. CompatTelRunner issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CompatTelRunner issues: I've recently read on this forum that to fix the "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" error even though PC Health Check says it supports it perfectly fine, CompatTelRunner.exe has to run. So I tried running it with a command, did...
  8. CompatTelRunner issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. System User Group - Devcon exe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System User Group - Devcon exe: Hi, We have a problem about windows 10. Normally for USB usage restriction we use group policy. We set two policies; 1- "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" 2- "Allow administrator to override Device Installation Restrictions policies"...
  10. Compattelrunner- make it stop!

in Windows 10 Support
    Compattelrunner- make it stop!: Is there any way to dial down compattelrunner? It loves to run and run and run, chewing up my HDD when it's most inconvenient for me in the middle of other tasks. I get it's a part of Windows and tied to updates, but geez. Does it have to run so often? 127143

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how tyo edit administrators group in compattelrunner.exe

2. teams camera not working

3. compattelrunner.exe task reenables