Windows 10: Why does copying system or user data go so slow?

Discus and support Why does copying system or user data go so slow? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've noticed many times that copying certain types of data takes a long time- I think it's mainly when copying system or user data. For example right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AliM2, Dec 4, 2018.

1. AliM2 Win User

Why does copying system or user data go so slow?

I've noticed many times that copying certain types of data takes a long time- I think it's mainly when copying system or user data. For example right now I had to send my laptop in for repair so I took the drive out of the computer and attached it with usb to my other computer. Also attached my backup drive. I had 2 partitions to back up- OS (windows 10) and a data drive. The data drive I backed up at about 70-110 MB/s. The OS partition is averaging about 2 MB/s. This is all from and to the same drives. Neither of them are close to being full. The source drive had 160gb of data on a 480gb drive and the destination drive had 970gb free of 1tb. I used robocopy to avoid long filename errors. Like I said I've seen this a lot when I copy complete user data from a system drive when I remove it and connect externally, then try to copy.

Thanks for your help!

Edit- also I don't think it's my computer being slow (unless the data is archived so densely and so fragmented that it takes huge amounts of processing power to get the info for some reason). Source drive is an ssd 90/80 kiops 500/400 seq.destination drive unfragmented hdd. Computer processor is quad core 2.5-3.5ghz, 16gb Ram, ssd. I've also noticed same behaviour on other systems (i5-8250u, 16gb Ram, newer ssd) & (i5-6200u 8gb ram ssd).

:)

AliM2, Dec 4, 2018

2. How to copy administrator user account

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy the user date and check if it helps.

Note: I suggest to create a new user profile and transfer user data to new account and delete or change the corrupt user profile.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

• Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
    • In Windows Explorer, click View, and Check mark hidden files and folders, uncheck the
      Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click
      OK
    • Locate the C:\Users\Old Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Copy
    • Locate the C:\Users\New Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Paste
    • Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Slow Data copy/paste SPEEDS in WINDOWS 10

Hello Guyz, I encountered a problem after upgrading to windows 10. I had extremely slow data transfer speed from any storage media. I myself found a fix for it. I didn't have this prob in win 7. I hope that u understand.

Regards
    Robert Stark

Follow the steps below As Attached

Why does copying system or user data go so slow? [​IMG]

Mohammedrocks70, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Why does copying system or user data go so slow?

System slow down

Hello,

Slow PC performance can be caused by several factors. Since you are aware of the issue's source, we suggest that you run the
    Maintenance task. This will help you in checking and resolving any issues that is causing your device to slow down. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.

If the issue is still not resolved, feel free to let us know and we'll assist you further.

Regene Jos, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Why does copying system or user data go so slow?

1. Why does copying system or user data go so slow? - Similar Threads - Why does copying

2. Why does my computer download so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my computer download so slow?: My computer has been downloading games at such slow speed and sometimes it would pause and then resume. I look at task manager and the read/write speeds are lower than usual. Its not my ethernet cable because I dealt with this situation before by formatting my drives. I've...
  3. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why, so slow?: My computer. Is a, "Dell" laptop.Running, Windows 10. This is not a question of, Wi-Fi no.This is the, computer itself.When I click, on a link.It takes up to, 30 seconds. To, start? I wait, forever. for a movie, to start?Everything, is just very slow?Could, this be a browser...
  4. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why, so slow?: My computer. Is a, "Dell" laptop.Running, Windows 10. This is not a question of, Wi-Fi no.This is the, computer itself.When I click, on a link.It takes up to, 30 seconds. To, start? I wait, forever. for a movie, to start?Everything, is just very slow?Could, this be a browser...
  5. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. why is it so slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is it so slow: COPY SPEED IS 355KB/S, AND IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN 1 FREAKING DAY TO COPY I'm using an microSD to SD adapter, really cheap also it takesSO FREAKING LONG to cancel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-it-so-slow/292018ca-218f-4cd6-8fbf-e369a890819c
  7. Why is the COPY and then PASTE so slow?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is the COPY and then PASTE so slow?: Under Windows 10 (as well as Windows 7), I was copying the WINDOWS folder on my C: hard drive to a (brand-new - but old one acts the same) WD Backup drive. After doing the PASTE, it took hours to complete, with very little activity from me. I noticed that occasionally, it...
  8. Why so slow???

Why so slow???: I just got this PC and it's very slow. I scroll, it lags, I click, it lags. Even when I press the settings, it lags. My internet connection isn't the problem (My other PC that is very old, works much better) If anybody could, please help. And I can't play games nor scroll...
  9. what is dfrgi.exe? and why does my pc starts so slow? why does is go to bsod after few...

what is dfrgi.exe? and why does my pc starts so slow? why does is go to bsod after few...: So my pc is a year old now, its a custom build, it has a ssd, When it was new, it use to open in 5-10 seconds, but now I have to either restart it forcefully or wait 25min to open up my pc, Even if it opens, It would run really slow and laggy for one minute. Also, After few...
  10. why so slow?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    why so slow?: i have a brand new computer with windows 10 installed and it took over 12 hours to download a 100MB file, plus it cannot stream. Its like I'm on a dial up connection, except at adsl2 prices. Its incredibly frustrating and clearly the reason why apple always comes out on top....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows other user data slow

2. why does it take forever to copy user data out of chrome