Windows 10: Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day?

Discus and support Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; It is SCHEDULED to run at 3:00 am. It does. Then any time I reboot, or at just random times a day, the annoying message pops up that I Defender needs... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DeathStalker, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day?

It is SCHEDULED to run at 3:00 am. It does. Then any time I reboot, or at just random times a day, the annoying message pops up that I Defender needs to scan.......... until I DO let it scan, it causes problems.

How cool, 6-10 Defender scans a day.........

EDIT: And now in hopes I can bang some tanks at WOT I'm going to waste however long it takes to let Defender scan........ what's that, 30 minutes, an hour, so when I start it won't crash the computer hogging all the resources or DNS'ing to let me know it needs to scan.

6-10 times a day.........

EDIT: Whoops, it *only* take 15 min to scan. Never sat around and timed it before. I know, I really should have nothing to do but time Window operations but........ anyway, the main issue remains.

:)

DeathStalker, Jun 9, 2016

2. Windows Defender is not scanning automatically.

For the last two weeks a message has been popping up on the desktop that Defender need to scan the PC. I click on it an Defender opens up a does a scan. This happens at least three times a day. I have encountered this before but it went away after I had
    to reset my PC. I run Windows 10 x64. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to ensure Defender scans when it needs to without having to ask my permission.

Thank you!

Jarrod Davis_794, Jun 9, 2016
  3. Windows Defender requires AV pgm uninstall to be turned on

Hi Lou,

Having several antivirus programs running at the same time on a single computer will result in confusion in showing specific scans. The same reason why Windows Defender is not compatible to run with other antivirus programs. if you would like to run Windows
    Defender, you would need to uninstall your third-party antivirus programs. As for reinstalling Avast, you would need to contact them directly for the proper instructions.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post back.

Regards.

Jomel_Santos, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day?

Yes it also updates several times a day as well I like it
    As I had McAfee on mine before and it used to update and scan once a week and used to take anything up to 8-10 hours to do so.
    Also since taking McAfee off computer loads faster still as Defender does not hog the download,

I would not worry too much it just shows they are on the ball to keep your laptop/computer virus free

hTconeM9user, Jun 9, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I did have this annoyance before but not 6 - 10 times a day.
    I just let it scan, minimized it, and went about doing what I was doing.

For no apparent reason, I do not have this issue anymore.

Sorry, what I said does not help you solving the problem. I know that.
    Just to let you know you are not alone in this strange issue.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Do you have Defender checked in either

Disk Cleanup?

Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day? [​IMG]

or Ccleaner?

Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day? [​IMG]

Or any other cleaning tool?, This deletes the scan logs in Defender, so it thinks it hasn't scanned yet.
    So make sure you keep them unchecked.

Also if you would like a custom view(works like a shortcut inside event viewer) for Defenders logs in Event Viewer, go to this post and download the zip file and follow the instructions to import it: Windows Defender Offline Scan in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Cliff S, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Sorry, I don't follow the logic, but thanks for the reply.

DeathStalker, Jun 10, 2016
  8. Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day?

@Cliff: That is EXACTLY the problem. I don't even have to check. I installed CrapCleaner to get rid of the remnants of World of tanks to do an re-install and left it open to *clean* at will lol. I'll check to see if I havre that checked.

Kinda funny about the Disc Cleanup though, while it's probably been doing that forever, I have my disc clean up scheduled to run right before the Defenders scan that night so I would have never noticed it except for the CCleaner......

Thanks again.

Edit: Dude, I just noticed the thing by your name that tells where you are from. Bamberg? I lived there for 2 years. Loved it. I miss the jaeger Sschnitzel from the Wine Cellar (forget the German spelling, that is the English translation).

DeathStalker, Jun 11, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I got here in 1989 and was assigned to B-Btry 4/14th FA. Got out in 1992 after Desert Sabre and stayed, been here ever since*Smile

Cliff S, Jun 11, 2016
  10. Cool beans. I left in 89, right after the wall fell. Got to go to East Berlin the summer before. 1/54Inf (I think they changed to 6/6 right before I left, but I was clearing so didn't pay attention), the Mailed Foot Battalion.

DeathStalker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day?

1. Why does Defender need to run a scan several times a day? - Similar Threads - Why does Defender

2. Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.: Several times each day my taskbar at the bottom of each page stops coming up when I scroll down to the bottom. At this time It still functions properly on just the desktop. So I have to go to Task Manager, scroll down to find Windows Explorer and then click on the "restart...
  3. Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows Explorer ends task several times each day.: Several times each day my taskbar at the bottom of each page stops coming up when I scroll down to the bottom. At this time It still functions properly on just the desktop. So I have to go to Task Manager, scroll down to find Windows Explorer and then click on the "restart...
  4. BSOD several times a day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD several times a day: My HP ENVY 15 is hitting a BSOD several times a day:https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qmng712ojjoxhw/log.txt?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/aveu0tehbhdapxe/dump.dml?dl=0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-several-times-a-day/30cb9f6c-136f-4ed7-a8a8-339df70b7e13
  5. BSOD several times a day.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD several times a day.: So, I was wondering what exactly has been causing my PC to BSOD. It's been happening VERY frequently as of late, but started a few months ago, and only happened once every couple of days. It seems to give me one of a few different error codes. "irql_not_less_or_equal", "dpc...
  6. BSOD Several Times A Day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Several Times A Day: Hello, I am getting BSOD errors several times per day, seemingly at random. This has been going on for about a month now. It started around the time of some Windows updates but I don't know if that is related.The last 5 minidump files are here:...
  7. Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.: Split from this thread. Im having the same problem quick scan just runs and runs, I update windows pretty much everytime I start up. it appears to be up to date...
  8. Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?

Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?: I tried to run a scan on my computer and wasn't able. I got this message: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation....
  9. BSOD several times a day.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD several times a day.: I really need help looking at the mini dumps that are being created for my BSOD. How can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bsod-several-times-a-day/7898bcfe-ea03-452b-a6bd-9c2fc6ac8b02
  10. Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run

Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run: Quite a while ago I created a Scheduled Task to run a daily manual Defender Quick Scan. It worked fine until the recent Creator's Update/Defender Update (not sure which messed it). I know some things changed with Defender and its path but I can't figure out what to change...