Windows 10: Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan?

Discus and support Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Or has Windows Defender itself been affected by a malware? I had recently removed a GandCrab.AF ransomware after it had been "allowed". It did not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pratham Shanbhag, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan?

Or has Windows Defender itself been affected by a malware? I had recently removed a GandCrab.AF ransomware after it had been "allowed". It did not affect my computer (may be). I removed it with an offline scan. It had affected some registry files.

These days, offline scan just takes a few seconds. The system restarts, a small loading window appears, the computer immediately boots into windows.

On the other computer it is the same thing. First offline scan scanned for about 15 min. But now, it takes only a few seconds.Is this a bug?

Also affected registry files and the infected files (winsvc.exe) --have they been fixed or should I take any steps?

This is the link to my previous question(How do I remove the malware?)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...greplock/85fe6f2a-5221-4d32-af1c-0938d5f3c714

Thank you.

:)

Pratham Shanbhag, Sep 21, 2019
  2. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Sep 21, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan?

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

I use Kaspersky antivirus plus periodic scanning by Defender to benefit from US & Russian security technologies.

I spotted there is a Defender option for offline scanning. Is there any advantage in using this compared to the periodic scanning option?

Steve C, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan?

1. Why does Defender Offline Scan take just seconds now? Does it even scan? - Similar Threads - Why does Defender

2. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates.Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% rightEarlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection, this...
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  4. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates. Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% right Earlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection,...
  5. Windows Defender History And Offline Scan Does Not Work!

Windows Defender History And Offline Scan Does Not Work!: Almost every time I run a scan, quick or full, it says that 1 threat found and action taken but when I check the history or allowed threats there is nothing there. I check the event viewer it does not have an ID that suggest that Defender found malware but when I try to run...
  6. Windows Defender Offline scan just rebooted the system not scanned.

Windows Defender Offline scan just rebooted the system not scanned.: I've already updated windows. But recently, I've uninstalled mcafee. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-offline-scan-just-rebooted-the/e5dc626c-5d10-4dec-a665-ae7bd2c4b9b6
  7. Defender offline scan will not start - after saying yes to restart now -and scan does nothing ?

Defender offline scan will not start - after saying yes to restart now -and scan does nothing ?: Hello I have Windows 10 Home " OS build 19041.610 " - have tried sfc /scannow and it found some broken registrys and fixed them.. ran again and says all good.... tried manually restarting after clicking yes to scan now and nothing and no restart, but just loads back up as...
  8. Windows Defender Offline scan does not work

Windows Defender Offline scan does not work: Hello, I was plagued by a malware infection, so I wanted to perform a Windows Defender Offline scan. I opened the Windows Security window (from the Settings panel) and selected "scan options". I selected Windows Defender Offline scan and clicked "Scan now". I saw a message...
  9. Windows Defender Offline scan does nor run

Windows Defender Offline scan does nor run: Yesterday, in the middle of an offline scan, I cancelled it to do something else. Now it won't run. From the Security Center select Advanced Scans, Windows Defender offline. Click Start Scan. Normal activity, Windows shuts down, black screen. Small Windows Defender Offline...
  10. Windows Defender Offline Scan does not work

Windows Defender Offline Scan does not work: With both the previous Fall Creator's Upgrade and now new Spring Creator's Upgrade Windows Defender Offline Scan works until a new cumulative update comes out. After the first cumulative update is installed, whenever I run a new scan, Offline Scan stops at the point where it...