Windows 10: Why does deletion (e.g. of data on a memory stick) take so long?

Discus and support Why does deletion (e.g. of data on a memory stick) take so long? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Why does deletion (e.g. of data on a memory stick) take so long? Is there a way to speed it up? Is it because Windows is wanting to put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ship69 Win User

Why does deletion (e.g. of data on a memory stick) take so long?

Hello

Is there a way to speed it up?
    Is it because Windows is wanting to put deleted files into the "Recycle Bin"?
    And if so is there any way to STOP Windows from doing so?

Cheers

J

PS I just deleted some files on my Kingston memory stick. It took over 10 minutes to delete 1GB. Which is almost longer than it took to copy that same data on in the first place!

:)

ship69, Mar 13, 2018

2. Can't connect with DKU-2 cable on new computer PLEASE HELP

Hi,

If USB data transfer does not work then problem can not be in PC Suite (USB data transfer is Windows feature).

I think that there is something wrong in your PC's USB port(s) and Windows.

Anyway, test all PC's USB ports, does any of those work?

If you have other USB device (e.g. printer or USB memory stick), does it work with your new PC?

miksu---01, Mar 13, 2018
  3. Turtlejai Win User
    Automatically Delete Old Emails?

Does windows phone 7 automatically delete old emails, e.g. more than 2 weeks old? Or does it stay on the cell phone forever and take up memory? Or is there an option for this?

Turtlejai, Mar 13, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

No, there's no recycle bin on a memory stick. You are asked to confirm 'Do you want to permanently delete this?', not '...send it to the Recycle Bin?'.

Deleting a file means clearing the entry in a table that points to where the data is stored. If the 1GB is all in one file then that's just one entry to clear. If, as I strongly suspect, your 1GB was made up of thousands of small files, folders and subfolders then it will inevitably take a long time to clear all those index entries.

Your 10 minutes does sound longer than usual though. Are you deleting with File Explorer? Or are you using something else to do a secure delete? Only a secure delete should take as long as writing the data because it is overwriting all the data.

If you want to delete everything that's on the memory stick, it's far quicker to format it (make sure Quick Format is ticked).

Thema:

1. Why does deletion (e.g. of data on a memory stick) take so long? - Similar Threads - Why does deletion

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  4. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?: When i use the Reset option from the Recovery menu in Settings, why does it take hours for Windows to reset, but when I use a bootable USB flash drive to install windows 10, I can format all partitions for just a few seconds?My question is why does "Resetting This PC" take so...
  6. Why does windows update take so long?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does windows update take so long?: I have a Desktop computer, and on its Hard Drives, I have 3 Operating Sytems, 2 of them are Linux-based and Windows 10 is the third. Today I was on Windows to do a ZOOM meeting, and because Windows is not my daily OS, I went to shut windows and it said it had an update. so I...
  7. Why does it take so long to update?

Why does it take so long to update?: I started a Windows update yesterday around 10:00 am Sunday. Let it run till this morning at 7:00 am and it said 3% last night when I went to bed and again 3% when I turned my laptop off. Why so long to update? I could see an hour or so but not close to 24 hours. Is...
  8. Why does install an update take so long

Why does install an update take so long: On my HP running Windows 10 1903 said I had to restart. I did now it is telling me not to turn off since it is working on updates. It has been at 19% for 1 hours. What is going on? I am on metering wifi and told it not to update. It changes things on its own. I didn't...
  9. Why does startup take so long?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does startup take so long?: After I turned on my computer I finally saw the clock, after I saw my name and "welcome" without having to actually sign in. But I couldn't do anything for ten minutes. Not even turn off the speaker. Not even get anything to happen by clicking on the start button. Spotify...
  10. Why does downloading a game take so long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does downloading a game take so long?: Had just built a new computer because my old one did not have windows 10 and thought may as well full upgrade instead of just purchasing win10 purchased sea of thieves and now it has taken me 3 hours to do 2 Gbs My net speed is 2 megabytes a second on average It says that...