Windows 10: Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?

Discus and support Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a personal MS365 subscription. On my work PC I'm signed in to MS because I want to use office programs associated with the subscription: Word,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Andreas Maximus, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?

I have a personal MS365 subscription. On my work PC I'm signed in to MS because I want to use office programs associated with the subscription: Word, Excel, etc. I DO NOT want to sync work-related files in the Windows 11 system folders My Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. to my personal OneDrive account. I want the files in those system folders to remain on the PC. If I deselect those folders from OneDrive sync they are no longer visible in the Windows Explorer folder tree. It appears OneDrive has the ability to delete - or at least hide - default OS system folders. What am I doing wrong? So

:)

Andreas Maximus, Nov 29, 2022

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Nov 29, 2022
  3. TarAn_D Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Nov 29, 2022
  4. Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?

Is it possible to choose certain folders on PC to sync with OneDrive?

Thank you, Diego! But what you suggest is about syncing OneDrive folders with PC. I mean the Folder Protection feature which lets to sync folders on PC to OneDrive.

Murad Ahmadzada, Nov 29, 2022
Thema:

Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?

1. Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC? - Similar Threads - Why does deselecting

2. Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does deselecting system folders from OneDrive sync delete or hide those folders on my PC?: I have a personal MS365 subscription. On my work PC I'm signed in to MS because I want to use office programs associated with the subscription: Word, Excel, etc. I DO NOT want to sync work-related files in the Windows 11 system folders My Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. to...
  3. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive and This PC folder sync: I have Windows 10 and just moved to Onedrive in order to sync my files to the cloud like I did with iDrive. My goal is to ensure all the files and folders in the Documents folder and Desktop are backed up automatically whenever they change. Boom!Unfortunately, when I change...
  4. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive and This PC folder sync: I have Windows 10 and just moved to Onedrive in order to sync my files to the cloud like I did with iDrive. My goal is to ensure all the files and folders in the Documents folder and Desktop are backed up automatically whenever they change. Boom!Unfortunately, when I change...
  5. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Disable a folder sync, keep on PC and delete on OneDrive

Disable a folder sync, keep on PC and delete on OneDrive: The ability to disable syncing of folders in Windows 10 allows you to keep the OneDrive copy and delete the PC copy. I want the opposite: delete the OneDrive copy and keep the PC copy. How do I do it? Thanks....
  7. Disable a folder sync, keep on PC and delete on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable a folder sync, keep on PC and delete on OneDrive: The ability to disable syncing of folders in Windows 10 allows you to keep the OneDrive copy and delete the PC copy. I want the opposite: delete the OneDrive copy and keep the PC copy. How do I do it? Thanks....
  8. Disable a folder sync, keep on PC and delete on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Unable to delete a folder from my desktop synced to OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to delete a folder from my desktop synced to OneDrive.: I daily sync my one drive. My desktop also synces with it. I am a Minecraft texture pack creator. I created an assets file to make a texture pack on my desktop. When I wanted to delete it, I couldn't. It says I need permission from ASUS/ASUS to make changes to this file. Then...
  10. Deleted pending sync folders from OneDrive but also deleted these folders from my PC.

Deleted pending sync folders from OneDrive but also deleted these folders from my PC.: I was over my limit on OneDrive so I deleted folders that were pending to sync from OneDrive on the cloud. But these same folders were also deleted from my PC. I restored those folders from the cloud recycle bin but it did not restore the files that were pending to sync or...