Windows 10: Why does Desktop folder keep freezing?

Discus and support Why does Desktop folder keep freezing? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I try to use the Desktop folder or window, it keeps freezing. It freeZes when I try to move the scroll bar. It also freezes when I try to update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mwidunn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. mwidunn Win User

Why does Desktop folder keep freezing?

When I try to use the Desktop folder or window, it keeps freezing. It freeZes when I try to move the scroll bar. It also freezes when I try to update filenames or delete files. I have to click on the "X" inb the upper righthand to make it close. Then, the Desktop is re-freshed.

I'm using BitDefender AV Plus. But, I have used other AV products, including Windows Defender, and have had the same problem. So, I don't see a problem with my AV.

I have also had the problem on two different computers: one, an old one; the other, a brand new one. So, I don't see any conflict wioth hardware, drivers, or whatnot.

My computer is fully updated and patched.

Anyone else having the same problem? Any solution?

Thanks.

:)

mwidunn, Dec 8, 2020
  2. marinro Win User

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Desktop freeze after log in

Hi Keith,

In order for us to find out what causes your desktop to freeze after logging in, we would like to gather more information:

• Did you make any recent changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • When the computer freezes, do you get an error message?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Why does Desktop folder keep freezing?

Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

Attached snaps.
    Why does Desktop folder keep freezing? [​IMG]

Why does Desktop folder keep freezing? [​IMG]

I tried the first suggestion, no response.
    I cannot create a new user because when I tried to update our new email address I did something wrong and was locked out for 30 days. Until April 1

smalltownfan, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Why does Desktop folder keep freezing?

1. Why does Desktop folder keep freezing? - Similar Threads - Why does Desktop

2. Why does my screen keep freezing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my screen keep freezing?: I dont know if i have too old computer parts, but what happens is basically that randomly, for a few seconds my mouse starts lagging, my apps zooms out and everything freezes for about 3-5 seconds before returning back to normal, is this becuase of outdated parts or too high...
  3. Why does my screen keep freezing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my screen keep freezing?: I dont know if i have too old computer parts, but what happens is basically that randomly, for a few seconds my mouse starts lagging, my apps zooms out and everything freezes for about 3-5 seconds before returning back to normal, is this becuase of outdated parts or too high...
  4. Why does my cursor keep freezing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my cursor keep freezing?: I want to know why my computer cursor keeps freezing and lagging. For context my computer works perfectly when writing on word but I just can’t move my cursor but can type perfectly . I have updated my mouse drivers multiple times but if doesn’t seem to work can someone...
  5. Why does my keyboard keep freezing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my keyboard keep freezing?: Hi there, have been playing games on my new lenovo gaming latpop and every now and then the keyboard wont accept inputs and i'll be stuck unable to move in a game but i can still look around.The same keeps happening to my flightstick.I've tried uninstalling drivers but it...
  6. Why does my keyboard keep freezing?

Why does my keyboard keep freezing?: Hi there, have been playing games on my new lenovo gaming latpop and every now and then the keyboard wont accept inputs and i'll be stuck unable to move in a game but i can still look around.The same keeps happening to my flightstick.I've tried uninstalling drivers but it...
  7. Why does my laptop keep freezing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop keep freezing?: Recently, my laptop has been freezing intermittently without warning or any error message. It happens every couple of days and rebooting resolves the issue until it happens again. Here is a shot of my sysinfo:I realize this isn't much to go on, but I don't know enough about...
  8. Why does my laptop keep freezing?

Why does my laptop keep freezing?: Recently, my laptop has been freezing intermittently without warning or any error message. It happens every couple of days and rebooting resolves the issue until it happens again. Here is a shot of my sysinfo:I realize this isn't much to go on, but I don't know enough about...
  9. why does the mouse keep freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the mouse keep freezing: why does the mouse keep freezing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-the-mouse-keep-freezing/26c355fa-095c-4b63-9172-c04ee35292a7
  10. why does the mouse keep freezing

why does the mouse keep freezing: why does the mouse keep freezing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-the-mouse-keep-freezing/26c355fa-095c-4b63-9172-c04ee35292a7