Windows 10: Why does Disk Clean-up take forever?

Discus and support Why does Disk Clean-up take forever? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10.10240 on a 40 GB HDD partition - required to make another 7 GB for upgrade to 10.10586. Deleted a few GB of ISO downloads and then ran Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fafhrd, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Why does Disk Clean-up take forever?

Windows 10.10240 on a 40 GB HDD partition - required to make another 7 GB for upgrade to 10.10586. Deleted a few GB of ISO downloads and then ran Disk Clean-up for about 400MB.

So far it has taken about twice as long to do the clean up as it will to complete the upgrade, and it's only 2/3 cleaned.

Tedious to say the least.

:)

Fafhrd, Nov 18, 2015

2. Temporary internet files will not delete

I just want to know why the Disk Clean-Up tool does not delete the temporary internet files?!!!!???

It is up to almost 4GB now. and running the Disk Clean-Up tool does not work!!!!!

This is on both of my computers....

Why can't Microsoft fix this???

Jerry S. Brown, Nov 18, 2015
  3. Disk clean up app

The windows update clean up takes a long time to scan and to delete in disk clean up. If you never did the WU clean up, sit back for a long time for it to complete. And on restart, it may even take longer to complete the clean up.

So does the 2nd scan complete?

Or does it appear it is stuck while scanning or deleting the files?

seahawks65, Nov 18, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

No idea, my takes 2-3 minutes including windows.old.

CountMike, Nov 19, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    I am glad I am not the only one who finds the native Disk Cleanup taking forever to run.
    That is why I use Ccleaner for about 2 years now.

davidhk, Nov 19, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Stuck on Windows update cleanup? It runs dism to cleanup WinSxS I think and this takes a while.

7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Disk cleanup on build 10586 is slightly faster.

eLPuSHeR, Nov 20, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Answer*092: Hard Drives 2 Seagate 500 GBs, Maxtor 300GB, WD160 all rescued from old Sky and NTL STB throwouts.

But seriously see this thread: Answer: Why it can take Disk Cleanup so long

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Disk Clean-up take forever? - Similar Threads - Why does Disk

2. MICROSOFT Why does it take FOREVER to download Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MICROSOFT Why does it take FOREVER to download Windows 10?: I'm trying to create a windows 10 usb flash stick to use to install windows 10 but the process in downloading is taking forever, someone within Microsoft needs to see for themselves and fix this matter...
  3. MICROSOFT Why does it take FOREVER to download Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MICROSOFT Why does it take FOREVER to download Windows 10?: I'm trying to create a windows 10 usb flash stick to use to install windows 10 but the process in downloading is taking forever, someone within Microsoft needs to see for themselves and fix this matter...
  4. MICROSOFT Why does it take FOREVER to download Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does disk clean-up will not delete temporary files?

Why does disk clean-up will not delete temporary files?: When I run Disk Cleanup the Temporary files are not deleted.I tried "Clean System Files as well and then rebooted.Every time the 4.2 gig listed for Temporary files is still there.WV-Mike...
  6. Why does disk clean-up will not delete temporary files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does disk clean-up will not delete temporary files?: When I run Disk Cleanup the Temporary files are not deleted.I tried "Clean System Files as well and then rebooted.Every time the 4.2 gig listed for Temporary files is still there.WV-Mike...
  7. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  8. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  9. Taking forever

10. Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise: I’m defragmenting the hard drive and at the last update of 3, the process reads ‘consolidating’. It’s taking up to 15 minutes to cover 1%, is this normal for it to take so long?? Just wondering so I know :) submitted by /u/michaelbosley_ [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk cleanup taking forever on thumbnails