Windows 10: why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type

Discus and support why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; when i go to cmd and type wmic diskdrive get InterfaceType it says its ide even though its ahci... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by interior_crocodile, Sep 4, 2020.

1. why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type

when i go to cmd and type wmic diskdrive get InterfaceType it says its ide even though its ahci

:)

interior_crocodile, Sep 4, 2020
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Hawk1 Win User
    New SATA2 Drive - AHCI or IDE?

Go back into your device manager and change the view to devices by connection. See where/which controllers your HDD and DVD show up in. If its listed under an UltraATA/IDE Channel, the drives in IDE.

Hawk1, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Huxley2k7 Win User

why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type

New SATA2 Drive - AHCI or IDE?

Gah, im getting really confused with all this crap. I'd rather reinstall the OS as opposed to modifying my current install etc like you suggest Tigger. I just want to configure my HD to run at optimal performance levels i paid for, not some half-arsed IDE mode. It's just proving to be a real pain in the ass. I think i'll just go with AHCI mode, RAID does not and will not interest me. Still, im stuck on what to do. I know im going to re-install the OS, but i don't have a Floppy Drive, nor do i even have the proper connectors for one on my PSU. AHCI needs drivers during the OS install to function properly.

Is there ANY way i can use a USB drive and put the AHCI drivers on there for when i re-install OS?

The manual is SO fu**ing useless.

Huxley2k7, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type

1. why does drive that is ahci show ide in interface type - Similar Threads - why does drive

2. Type does not show

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Type does not show: Just bought new pc with windows 11.On some sites such as LLoyds bank and some surveys when typing in boxes the characters do not show although they must register as the site recognise them. If you get it right no problem but if wrong you are unable to see typo or...
  3. Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.: Hello.....I have an Acer Extensa 15......I was trying to make a dual boot of Linux Mint alongside windows but I can't check if my device is using AHCI or IDE. There is no such thing as IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager............and I don't know how to check it...
  4. Typing Does Not Work on Windows 10 Interface

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Typing Does Not Work on Windows 10 Interface: A friend of mine reinstalled his Windows twice. After he updated the OS, his keyboard is not working only on the tabs that are related to Windows, like the search bar, the file explorer or Microsoft Store. We thought it might be a driver issue, that's why we reinstalled the...
  5. IDE to AHCI new install Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IDE to AHCI new install Help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD870 EVO. I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  6. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  7. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  8. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...