Windows 10: Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

Discus and support Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; It has just come to my attention that Windows 10 forces triple buffering and V-sync in windowed and borderless-windowed games via Desktop Window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by parallel540, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

It has just come to my attention that Windows 10 forces triple buffering and V-sync in windowed and borderless-windowed games via Desktop Window Manager. This is baffling to someone who plays latency critical games regularly and uses dual displays, though I would imagine it could also bother Windows gamers who use single displays, as alt tabbing from full screen is more disconcerting than from windowed, as it takes significantly longer and causes the game window to sort of flash a blank screen somewhat alarmingly every time

Please remove this feature and change it back to how it was when, I'm told, it was disable-able

:)

parallel540, Oct 1, 2018
  2. Rekuja72 Win User

Borderless Gaming and forced Vsync/Triple Buffering

It's a known issue and it does force triple buffering,

common problem with 8 and 10. You can see the difference by switching from full to borderless

Rekuja72, Oct 1, 2018
  3. BossDweeb Win User

Oops - I went to check BF4 (using borderless) and did about 20 re-writes and didn't notice you had posted back

(scatter brain poster Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games? :D ).

I very much doubt V-sync or Triple buffering is being forced.

( Apparently V-sync can cause a bit of input lag, but Triple Buffering is supposed to sort that out)

If you are not seeing high cpu use from DWM in Task Manager while playing I don't think it would be
    the cause of the lag either.

My understanding is FPS and input lag aren't directly related. Are you using the same monitors and cables

as when you were using Win7 ?

Other than input lag via the monitor, I don't know what the cause would be, and again,

I wouldn't really notice a slight delay in the mouse. My reactions are not young enough Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games? ;) .

BossDweeb, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Rekuja72 Win User

Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

Its weird I'm also using a 980gtx and I have no fps issues whatsoever it's just a really slight input delay on the mouse

it feels like forced sync or triple buffering

problem goes away in fullscreen

Rekuja72, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

1. Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games? - Similar Threads - Why does DWM

2. Why does windows 10 force updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does windows 10 force updates?: It’s such a stupid feature. It was okay before for me when my laptop actually told me in advance that there was an update, now there’s no warning at all, I turn on my laptop one day and it starts ‘configuring windows’ so it’s obviously just updated, shut itself down, and I...
  3. Windows Does Not Detect Triple Monitors But Nvidia Does?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Does Not Detect Triple Monitors But Nvidia Does?: Hello I want to change my resolution back to 1920 x 1080 for each monitor instead of 5760 x 1080 for all three combined. I want to play my fps game with just one monitor and have the two monitors on the side usable and not just black screens. so for example I could use one of...
  4. Windows Does Not Detect Triple Monitors But Nvidia Does?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Does Not Detect Triple Monitors But Nvidia Does?: Hello I want to change my resolution back to 1920 x 1080 for each monitor instead of 5760 x 1080 for all three combined. I want to play my fps game with just one monitor and have the two monitors on the side usable and not just black screens. so for example I could use one of...
  5. Does Xbox game Bar uses ram as buffer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Xbox game Bar uses ram as buffer?: 1. Does xbox game bar uses system memoryram as buffer while recording in background? coz I don't want to lower my ssd life if it uses secondary storage as buffer.2. Xbox game bar not showing fps while playing games on windows 10 home how to fix it?...
  6. Disable V-sync for specific windowed applications DWM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable V-sync for specific windowed applications DWM: My Windows 10 version is 1909 build 18363.1082. So there is a game that I want to run in windowed mode so I can put other things over it not exclusive fullscreen, dll injection for overlays is not an option. And there is the mandatory Desktop Window Manager that forces...
  7. Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?: This has been an absolute nightmare for me since I got off of Windows 7, and I know that you can't disable DWM.exe, but can you turn off the triple buffering aspect of it? I have a G-SYNC monitor, so I don't need the syncing from DWM. submitted by /u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy [link]...
  8. Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode: Regardless of the setting "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked or unchecked, games run in Triple buffering mode rather than in Double buffering mode. Take Grand Theft Auto V for instance, the game runs fine in fullscreen mode with Double buffering Vsync until navigated...
  9. Windows 10: Is V-Sync Forced in Windowed / Windowed Fullscreen Games??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Is V-Sync Forced in Windowed / Windowed Fullscreen Games??: Okay... okay, so... I was watching this video on Fortnite just out of curiosity if the guy knew anything I didn't. He brought up this point: "...if you play in 'WindowedFullscreen' or 'Windowed' mode, Windows will automatically enable VSync, which will make your game a lot...
  10. Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering: Hey guys, I've had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find anything after weeks and weeks of googling Basically, I run my games in Borderless because I have multiple monitors, it's easier for me to switch between monitor 1 and 2 this way. With Windows 7 I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to disable dwm forced vsync

2. windowed fullscreen triple buffering windows 10

3. bypass windowed dwm settings

4. how to run windowed mode withut tripple buffering,
  5. disable dwm vsync,
  6. DWM(Aero) dual monitor vsync,
  7. disable triple buffering and V-sync in windowed and borderless-windowed games via Desktop Window Manager.