Windows 10: Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff?

Discus and support Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, once again my tiny C drive has become overwhelmed by Windows, to the extent that an update can't install, and other things start to misbehave.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Peter Parslow, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff?

Hi,

once again my tiny C drive has become overwhelmed by Windows, to the extent that an update can't install, and other things start to misbehave.

Why the unnecessary games which Microsoft Update keeps putting back. Bubble Witch Saga alone has over 20,000 files - and for one of them I had to grab ownership of the file before I could delete it! Candy Crush Saga, Dragon Mania, March of Empires - all have at least one file that refuses to inherit permissions.

Eventually, I have got rid of them:

- be logged in as an administrator

- when a folder won't allow you to delete it, even after confirming administrator permission, this may be for one of two reasons:

1. a file somewhere down in the folder structure has disabled inheriting permissions. Sometimes this may be a Readme.txt, or an XML configuration file. If you're lucky, you can insist it accepts inherited permissions!

2. other times it may be that the rogue file just doesn't acknowledge it can be owned even by the root administrator! You need to take ownership of that file, apply that change, go out of the file properties & back in, then you can apply inherited permissions or what ever.

Of course, a bigger improvement would be to not install this bloat in the first place! Or at least allow them to be uninstalled.

And don't tell me they are harbouring essential parts of the operating system; experience shows otherwise.

:)

Peter Parslow, Aug 18, 2019
  2. jmdraft Win User

Unnecessary background stuff – list?

Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff? [​IMG]
    I did that a few weeks ago but it’s still slow. So, like I said, I need a list of unnecessary stuff with brief explanations. Example, I want Microsoft Edge. But I don’t have it open and it says it’s running in the background. What does that mean? If off, does that affect its function-performance………what? There is a lot of stuff like this and I don’t want to have to keep turning off, going back to check, turning on again, not remembering what I did, or did not do etc. I want to do it once and forget it.

jmdraft, Aug 18, 2019
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff?

1. Why does each Windows 10 update re-install so much unnecessary stuff? - Similar Threads - Why does each

2. Why does Windows 11 crash so much?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 11 crash so much?: I have a Asus ROG Strix G614JV and am running Windows 11 Home version 22H2. All my drivers are up to date and I have a fairly powerful laptop yet for no reason in particular when I am playing a game or trying to install something, it crashes or errors. I don't know whether...
  3. Why does win 10 suck so much ****

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does win 10 suck so much ****: Ur **** always has issues all 6 of my computers will now and forever use Linux mint.P.s go **** itself microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-win-10-suck-so-much/b9a6adbc-f510-40bc-9328-ecba65d4b868
  4. Why does win 10 suck so much ****

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does win 10 suck so much ****: Ur **** always has issues all 6 of my computers will now and forever use Linux mint.P.s go **** itself microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-win-10-suck-so-much/b9a6adbc-f510-40bc-9328-ecba65d4b868
  5. Why does win 10 suck so much ****

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. why does bluetooth suck so much

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why does bluetooth suck so much: bought a brand new computer that had bluetooth built in but it's complete, useless garbage. totally unusable. even when i'm right in front of the pc it's just constantly dropping audio and going fucking crazy isolating audio to one side then the other. bought a usb and it...
  7. Why does this take so much storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does this take so much storage: [ATTACH] Why does it take so much space!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-this-take-so-much-storage/3402a448-26b1-4bcc-bdb2-8447ddd1d4fd
  8. Why does Windows 10 recommend so much hardware

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows 10 recommend so much hardware: Hi folks I'm at a loss to understand why these days Windows 10 always recommends so much hardware --even on a moderate laptop (I'm addressing this to typical users not Gamers / extreme developers etc). Ms has improved the performance of the OS hugely in recent releases...
  9. Why does this take so much usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does this take so much usage?: [ATTACH] As the title says, why? I never seen my ram been used this much before, think it was since the last Win10 update. https://preview.redd.it/ge43tu0klfs41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=f633ebd54bcbc42509259912732f289efb7c87da submitted by /u/MilkyMoo27...
  10. why does windows defender miss so much

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why does windows defender miss so much: Im currently running win10 and got infested with updane 230 files and locations. and windows defender did not find 1 .. I ran it as a start up , full scan and nothing. I dont think Microsoft should not be pushing this as this is all you need.. I installed Malwarebytes and...