Windows 10: Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating.

Discus and support Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to keep PhotoShop as my default photo viewer!! Why does Win10 keep changing it? Now it won't even let me set it up!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NinaBouska1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating.

I want to keep PhotoShop as my default photo viewer!! Why does Win10 keep changing it? Now it won't even let me set it up!

:)

NinaBouska1, Feb 12, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps

I had the same problem.
    Possible causes:
    1. Acrobat preference does not work and if you click on it, it will reset to Windows default acrobat reader with the message:

Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating. [​IMG]
    2. If Windows has update for Acrobat reader App, it will reset it to default.

Just set it from Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Your default programs
    High lite Acrobat then click on: Set this program as default.

Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Fall Creators update - missing default program

Hi Lars,

This could triggered by the recent update on your device. To resolve the issue on default program settings on your Windows 10. The initial troubleshooting is to reset it to default via the Settings. To do so, please follow these steps:

• Using Cortana, search for Settings then, hit Enter.
    • On the left pane of the Settings window, click
      Default apps
    • Scroll through the bottom part of that section.
    • Under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click
      Reset.
    • Once done, there will be a tick mark beside that clickable option.
    • Restart your device and check if everything will work fine.

Don’t hesitate to give us updates on your query.

Arthur Rui, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating.

Default programs are not working.

I recently received and update for my Windows 7 system and an automatic update for my Windows 10 system. Since then, default programs have been changed. The programs that were the default programs are no longer in the default program list. (ie. Word,
    Excel, Access and a variety of other programs.)

Clicking on Settings, Default Programs and Set Default Programs produces a list of 13 programs. There use to be and should be many more. Why screw with us like this with updates? PR is at an all time low.

I can find no way to add them back into the default list. Therefore, I can not change the default program to my choice. It looks like Edge is used to display most everything. Google.doc also used at times. Both of these programs are of an inferior design
    and usability.

Once again, it looks like Microsoft and Bill Gates have struck again. Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions to try?

lylethethumb, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating.

1. Why does every Windows update reset my default programs? It's infuriating. - Similar Threads - Why does every

2. why does windows keeps resetting the default browser, and why does everyone on this site...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does windows keeps resetting the default browser, and why does everyone on this site...: do not tell me how to set my default browser, obviously i know how to do that alreadydo not tell me to set my default browser by protocol or file type, this happens automatically when you set the default browser!tell me how to STOP windows from resetting it!please!tell me...
  3. why does windows keeps resetting the default browser, and why does everyone on this site...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does windows keeps resetting the default browser, and why does everyone on this site...: do not tell me how to set my default browser, obviously i know how to do that alreadydo not tell me to set my default browser by protocol or file type, this happens automatically when you set the default browser!tell me how to STOP windows from resetting it!please!tell me...
  4. Why does windows 10 reset my default audio after a reboot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does windows 10 reset my default audio after a reboot?: Hi everyone! I changed. y microphone settings from the web camera microphone to my plantronics bluetooth headset and saved these. But later today I had to restart my computer and the settings defaulted back to the webcam version. Why would windows do this and is there a fix?...
  5. Why does windows update not respect my default browser selection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does windows update not respect my default browser selection?: When windows updates, it fails to use my default app browser selection. Last week I tried edge for a couple of days, one morning as I was buying and selling stocks I got 4 messages with alarms indicating Edge wanted to sell me 4 games within one minute. The alarms sounded...
  6. Why does every Win10 update change my default system font to Jenna Sue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does every Win10 update change my default system font to Jenna Sue?: I'm getting extremely annoyed with the recent updates. Every time my system applies a forced update, the system font changes to Jenna Sue, which is completely illegible as a small system font. I figured out how to reset the font, but don't really think that updating my...
  7. every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back!!!: hello to all i have a problem with my system that's every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back to before that i changes them!!! and i have to change them again and after every sign of for restarting or shutdowning the windows they go...
  8. Why does Windows keep recommending me uninstalled programs as defaults? I've deleted every...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Windows keep recommending me uninstalled programs as defaults? I've deleted every...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/animeistrash4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gd7py0/why_does_windows_keep_recommending_me_uninstalled/
  9. Why does Windows 10 reset my default speakers whenever it updates?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does Windows 10 reset my default speakers whenever it updates?: No, there are no driver or device issues (first thing I checked). Everything worked absolutely fine on Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 and my speaker default is reset with each update (along with practically everything else because, well, Windows 10). ***Moved From:...
  10. Why does Windows 10 reset my default speakers whenever it updates?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Windows 10 reset my default speakers whenever it updates?: No, there are no driver or device issues (first thing I checked). Everything worked absolutely fine on Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 and my speaker default is reset with each update (along with practically everything else because, well, Windows 10)....