Windows 10: Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file? - Green indexing...

Discus and support Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file? - Green indexing... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In the past week or so, I have had severe problems with File Explorer. When I open file explorer and try to navigate to a folder and file that I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gf1, Jul 9, 2020.

1. GF1
    gf1 Win User

Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file? - Green indexing...

In the past week or so, I have had severe problems with File Explorer. When I open file explorer and try to navigate to a folder and file that I want to open, File Explorer starts to show the green index status bar and this locks File Explorer and I am not able to use it. Even after leaving File Explorer alone to run and finish indexing, this runs for over an hour and is still unusable. Until the indexing finishes, I am not able to use the right click context menu for files that I need to open or copy or move.

I have been researching this and have tried a few of the suggestions that I have found. I tried running the search and indexing trouble shooter and this didn't indicate that there were any problems.

Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file?  - Green indexing... 6d46ae17-d354-46aa-9863-bb62d57cdd0e?upload=true.jpg

I also modified my File Explored settings to open in "This PC" which was one of the recommendations that I found
    Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file?  - Green indexing... aa06fe6f-e995-40b1-ac08-7f945146aab8?upload=true.jpg

Neither one of these changes solved the problem.

I also rebooted my computer with not improvement.

I am running Windows 10 Home on an HP computer with 16GB of memory and a 1TB drive with 600GB of free space.

Why does something as basic and as important as File Explorer causing so many problems for me?

:)

2. JohnnyGui Win User

Weird Explorer hang when Libraries are shown in Navigation Pane?

For some reason, showing the "Libraries" header in the left Navigation Pane causes a specifc Explorer hang which forces you to either end it through Task Manager or wait for a really long time for it to become responsive again.

Before reporting this in the Feedback Hub, could someone please test this out for me with the following 3 steps?

1. Make sure "Libraries" are shown in the Navigation Pane by doing the following:

Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file?  - Green indexing... [​IMG]

2 Then right-click on any random file that you have that is associated with an app/software (audio file, document, etc.) and choose "Properties". In the Properties box, click on "Change" as shown here:

Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file?  - Green indexing... [​IMG]

3. In the upcoming list, choose "Look for another app on this PC":

A dialog box appears in which you can browse. Just click "Cancel" on that.

The Properties box then becomes unresponsive and I can't click anywhere on it.

Anyone else having this?

JohnnyGui, Jul 9, 2020
  3. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Jul 9, 2020
  4. JohnnyGui Win User

Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file? - Green indexing...

Weird Explorer hang when Libraries are shown in Navigation Pane?

I don't have any issues with the Libraries, their Properties work fine.

So someone at Technet was able to reproduce the issue.

There seems to be a specific way to do this. Try deselecting the Libraries again through my previous shown picture and instead, show the Libraries by right-clicking in the Navigation Pane like this:

Then please do the steps in the OP, you may have to repeat these steps a few times. (it doesn't always occur at my end either)

JohnnyGui, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does File Explorer hang up when I just want to navigate to a file? - Green indexing... - Similar Threads - Why does File

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  4. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  5. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

in Cortana
    Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does: What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2 times. I thought that my indexing was not working - but it does. I know this because I can search for file contents through...
  6. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does: What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2 times. I thought that my indexing was not working - but it does. I know this because I can search for file contents through...
  7. File explorer navigation

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer navigation: Hi, Id just like some feedback from other users on how you close File Explorer down when you've finished using it. When you have finished accessing a file or folder in File Explorer when you close it you'll see that the file is still selected (highlighted in blue). At that...
  8. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  9. File Explorer hanging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  10. Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files: I've run searches but can't find my specific problem, and it's driving me nuts. I'm having trouble moving and deleting files in Windows -- not just File Explorer, but in FreeCommander, as well. There are times when Windows cooperates fully, but sometimes it stalls when...