Windows 10: Why does file explorer search generally not work?

Discus and support Why does file explorer search generally not work? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For example, if I choose a random word in the name of a file that I see in the folder, and I search for it in that folder, it won't find it about 50%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Am_619, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Am_619 Win User

Why does file explorer search generally not work?

For example, if I choose a random word in the name of a file that I see in the folder, and I search for it in that folder, it won't find it about 50% of the time, no matter how many times I do it. This has always been the case with file explorer in the years I have used it.

:)

Am_619, Apr 12, 2021

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 12, 2021
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Grim94 Win User

File Explorer search not working

Hi,
    I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.
    The search in the task bar seems to be working perfectly but the search bar in file explorer does not display any results.
    I tried rebuilding, modifying the indices but still no change.

Why does file explorer search generally not work? [​IMG]

Thanks in Advance.

Grim94, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Why does file explorer search generally not work? - Similar Threads - Why does file

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Cortana
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  7. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work

in Cortana
    Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work: Hi I bought my computer last week and installed Windows 10 last friday. yesterday i suddenly had problems with using the file ewplorer search function, and I don't know how to make it work again...
  9. Why does my file explorer not work?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my file explorer not work?: So I just recently got my own laptop and I wanted to see if everything was in working order. Every time I try to open File Explorer, it turns the screen white then closes itself. I dont know what the issue is, any ideas?...
  10. Why does Windows 10 File Explorer Search box not work correctly?

in Cortana
    Why does Windows 10 File Explorer Search box not work correctly?: Almost 90% of the time, I click in Search box of Windows File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro on a LOCAL C: drive not a portable drive, and it won't take my click. If I click a 2nd or 3rd time, it takes and then I can type or select a prev search query. Sometimes, I can click...