Windows 10: Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start...

Discus and support Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I select Windows 10 Indexing rebuild, and Complete is declared sometime later with about 25,000 items done. I then reboot and leave the computer on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TrialDisplayName###, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start...

I select Windows 10 Indexing rebuild, and Complete is declared sometime later with about 25,000 items done.

I then reboot and leave the computer on overnight, but the next morning it still says Complete at exactly the same 25,000 indexed items quantity. Then I reboot again a few minutes later, I soon see about 35,000 items in the rebuild index number, and again Complete. So the additional 10,000 items added was clearly not newly created items being and then indexed. Rather, indexing was declared Complete when it obviously was not.

Why does Windows Indexing almost always falsely declare "Complete" like this? Please explain if possible, even if this rebuilding index behavior cannot be altered.

A reboot by itself will not make the index rebuild restart and continue, but a reboot after a long period how long? may do it, not sure.

What if anything can users do to reliably restart the index rebuild just as soon as it false delcares Complete prematurely?

:)

TrialDisplayName###, Sep 18, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Rebuilding index never completes

I have developed a problem with Windows 10 search facility. It was suggested that I rebuild the index. I have done this now at least 8 times but it never completes and when I search I always get the result that windows is reindexing. The error message
    I receive is "SearchProtocolHost.exe recently failed" . There is no suggestion as to what I should do about this. HELP!

mirandaseagrave, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start...

Indexing Won't Rebuild

Hi ShiraAbraham, Here are some troubleshooting steps to help you, please let me know if you have tried this already

-Press Windows key + I and open Update & Security.

-Select Troubleshoot and find Search and Indexing.

-Double-click on the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to run it.

Wait for the scan to be completed.

If these steps did not help to fix “Search Indexing Was Turned Off” error, our last recommendation would be to rebuild the Search Indexing:

-Open Windows Search and type Indexing Options.

-Click on the first matching option to open it.

-Click Advanced and open Advanced Options.

-Select Rebuild and white while indexing will be rebuild from scratch.

JeremyCountings, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start...

1. Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start... - Similar Threads - Why does Indexing

2. Windows indexing rebuilding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows indexing rebuilding: Hi everyone ! I checked out other posts on the forum before posting here but here is the problem. I think I may have deleted the index location from my PC a while ago while tinkering around with something. After doing that, my indexing stopped working and I tried different...
  3. Windows indexing rebuilding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows indexing rebuilding: Hi everyone ! I checked out other posts on the forum before posting here but here is the problem. I think I may have deleted the index location from my PC a while ago while tinkering around with something. After doing that, my indexing stopped working and I tried different...
  4. rebuilding index

in Cortana
    rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  5. rebuilding index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  6. rebuilding index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. why does indexer keep working when it says indexing is complete. Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why does indexer keep working when it says indexing is complete. Windows 10: Task Manager says that Search Indexer is using around 9% CPU and 2% disk and the drive is working continuously, but Indexing Options says that Indexing is complete. Having just been a victim of ransomware file encryption I am nervous of unexplained disk activity. Is...
  8. Index Rebuild Won't Stop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Index Rebuild Won't Stop: Hi, I cannot get my index rebuild to stop. It was rebuilding for 12+ hours overnight and got to 342,112 files. It got stuck at that number and would not increase so I modified the indexing to only one of the folders it was originally indexing. This made the files amount...
  9. Rebuilding index never completes

in Cortana
    Rebuilding index never completes: I have developed a problem with Windows 10 search facility. It was suggested that I rebuild the index. I have done this now at least 8 times but it never completes and when I search I always get the result that windows is reindexing. The error message I receive is...
  10. Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in...