Windows 10: Why does (insert app name here) need internet access?

Discus and support Why does (insert app name here) need internet access? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been using Win10 for quite awhile now and recently I've seen a new behavior. Every single windows app wants to independently access the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sqrly, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Sqrly Win User

Why does (insert app name here) need internet access?

I've been using Win10 for quite awhile now and recently I've seen a new behavior.

Every single windows app wants to independently access the internet. I'm talking about apps like calculator, 3D Paint, Voice recorder, etc etc.

This happens when M$ wants to update the app through the windows store. I repeat, this is a "new behavior".

The apps have been updating fine since windows 10 came out without requesting internet access for themselves until just recently.

To be more specific, now every time M$ wants to update an app, M$ creates a new rule in the firewall allowing that specific app to connect to the internet directly.

Until someone can provide an informed answer stating otherwise I'm assuming it's yet another new method to gather even more data about me to sell.

They figure everyone is now used to constant updates on their phones, lets do it on their desktops, they'll never even bother to look at what's going on as they've been trained to think it is 'normal'.

:)

Sqrly, Sep 30, 2018

2. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Unable to access internet

Original Title: Internet access

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10. I understand the frustration to wait for something and it is taking a long time.

I would suggest you to perform an Internet troubleshooter by following the steps below.

• Click on start and type ‘troubleshooting’ and press enter.
    • Click on ‘View all’ on top left corner.
    • Select ‘Internet Connections’ in the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Also, check if the issue persists by connecting to a different network.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write is back for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 30, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Guidance needed to setup my Home PC access over Internet through browser

I wasn't giving steps on how to get RDP working, that is covered plenty of other places, I just give the steps to make it secure.

RDP. If they aren't tracking your Web browsing, I doubt they are going to track RDP.

And if you start the session from the command prompt it doesn't even put the address in the MRU list.

Though the question that needs to be asked now is, what are you using for your VM lab?

newtekie1, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does (insert app name here) need internet access? - Similar Threads - Why does insert

2. Why does "Cryptographic Services" really need internet access ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does "Cryptographic Services" really need internet access ?: Windows Cryptographic Services is trying to access internet. I decline the requests and nothing happens, at least I don't observe any functionality degradation.It must be a purpose for Cryptographic Services to access Akamai and Google networks... Does it need that for itself...
  3. Why does "Cryptographic Services" really need internet access ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does "Cryptographic Services" really need internet access ?: Windows Cryptographic Services is trying to access internet. I decline the requests and nothing happens, at least I don't observe any functionality degradation.It must be a purpose for Cryptographic Services to access Akamai and Google networks... Does it need that for itself...
  4. I can't repair or reset "Roblox Player for insert first name heres"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't repair or reset "Roblox Player for insert first name heres": My Roblox client has been experiencing lots of issues, the most recent one being an issue where the application completely closes without an error message, and I wanted to attempt to repair or reset the application entirely, however, I can't view advanced settings for the...
  5. I can't repair or reset "Roblox Player for insert first name heres"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't repair or reset "Roblox Player for insert first name heres": My Roblox client has been experiencing lots of issues, the most recent one being an issue where the application completely closes without an error message, and I wanted to attempt to repair or reset the application entirely, however, I can't view advanced settings for the...
  6. Why does "Cryptographic Services" need internet access ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does "Cryptographic Services" need internet access ?: I have recently set up a third party firewall on my Windows 10 device and it is set to "ask to connect". So I am constantly getting request from "Cryptographics Services" to access the internet.I don't know if I should allow it to access the internet.I am not asking if I...
  7. Insert error message in Access does not work?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Insert error message in Access does not work?: In online lessons we should introduce an error message in Access but it doesn't work for me the way it worked for him When I entered the error message in the "Validity message" field, I received the following error messages The rules for data integrity have been...
  8. Why should the Settings app access the internet?

Why should the Settings app access the internet?: Quick question - why should Settings app access the internet? What will break if I block it from doing so by a firewall? 148784
  9. Windows Store: "(Insert game here) does not work on your device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Store: "(Insert game here) does not work on your device": Ok. This seems like a normal case of "System Requirements Not Met." I recently made the jump from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and on that 8.1 set up the game in question worked just fine. (Also this is a higher-end laptop so computing power shouldn't be an issue) I don't know...
  10. Why does INSERT not work here ????

Why does INSERT not work here ????: When I try to insert some text copied from another place ... it won't insert here ! Why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-insert-not-work-here/eca81313-9225-4298-bc56-679f3f5434ff