Windows 10: why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

Discus and support why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; i cant send a photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AaronWK, Jul 9, 2024.

1. AaronWK Win User

why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

i cant send a photo

:)

AaronWK, Jul 9, 2024
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. ryanGus Win User
    How to edit the user path environment variable (not system path)

I need to edit the user path environment variable (not the
    system path), but it doesn't seem possible in any way. I have edited the user path before on another computer running Windows 7 by right clicking My Computer --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables --> and editing the user path in the
    top dialog box (not the system path in the bottom dialog box). I tried the same thing in Windows 10 but "path" doesn't show up in the user environment variables dialog box, only TEMP and TMP show up.

I also tried searching for path after hitting the windows key and clicking "Edit environment variables for your account" but nothing happens when I click it. If I search for "path" when in Control Panel, I also get the option to click "Edit environment variables
    for your account" but again, nothing happens when I click it. I also tried running Regedit --> HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Environment, but the same options of TEMP and TMP show up, with no "path" option. I have tried searching the web for hours trying to solve
    this problem but I can't find a solution. Is there any other way to change edit the user path? Is Microsoft actively trying to address this problem? I am running on Windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10586.104. I am the only user on this machine and I am the
    administrator.

ryanGus, Jul 9, 2024
  4. why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.

1. Where it all starts:

I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:

sqlite3 test.db

But the output is:

'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or external command

operable program or batch file.

I looked up on stackoverflow for the same problem, it says that i have to add the sqlite3 path to Environment Variables, which everyone had it on their System Variables. But when i opened the Environment Variables setting, my PATH variables was on the User Variables.

2. What i did:

I added the C:\sqlite3 which the path where the sqlite3 files belongs to, to the PATH on the User Variables. After that i tried to run the same command again and it still doesn't work.

And then i try to add a New Variable under the System Variables, and put the name as PATH and just copy the value from the User Variables PATH. And when i run the same command again, it works.

What i want to ask is, is it ok if i made a PATH variable like this?

3. Condition right now:

I had 2 PATH after i made the new one, which is PATH that was in the User Variables and PATH that i made in the System Variables.

I need your help in this situation because i am worried if this action could affect my computer. Thank you.

Vicky Previa Syafira, Jul 9, 2024
Thema:

why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

1. why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables - Similar Threads - why does let

2. why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables: i cant send a photo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-not-let-me-edit-the-paths-in-system/c6c5deef-72bc-4f92-a7be-2dcd2ada943f
  3. why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does it not let me edit the paths in system variables: i cant send a photo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-not-let-me-edit-the-paths-in-system/c6c5deef-72bc-4f92-a7be-2dcd2ada943f
  4. How to fix the Edit system environment variables ->under System Variable ->Path Popup not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix the Edit system environment variables ->under System Variable ->Path Popup not...: I'm trying to add a new path variable, but when I navigate to "Edit system environment variables" -> under System Variables -> Path, the popup that should open when I click on the Path variable isn't opening....
  5. How to fix the Edit system environment variables ->under System Variable ->Path Popup not...

How to fix the Edit system environment variables ->under System Variable ->Path Popup not...: I'm trying to add a new path variable, but when I navigate to "Edit system environment variables" -> under System Variables -> Path, the popup that should open when I click on the Path variable isn't opening....
  6. why does it not let me edit my personal info?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does it not let me edit my personal info?: when i try to edit my personal info it is all blanked out and it does not let me click on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-not-let-me-edit-my-personal-info/d90ef4da-fdaa-460a-8ffd-749a3e54af73
  7. why does it not let me edit my personal info?

why does it not let me edit my personal info?: when i try to edit my personal info it is all blanked out and it does not let me click on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-it-not-let-me-edit-my-personal-info/d90ef4da-fdaa-460a-8ffd-749a3e54af73
  8. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  9. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  10. System variables what does path do

in Windows 10 Support
    System variables what does path do: Testing a method on a bench machine i have i added my programs folder to the path section of my system variables and programs like iTunes was displayed quicker on the screen. What is the path section of system variables do? 143116