Windows 10: Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't

Discus and support Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why does it show my wifi is connected when it is not connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VirginiaLowry1, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't

Why does it show my wifi is connected when it is not connected

:)

VirginiaLowry1, Jul 14, 2020
  2. wabbles Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Jul 14, 2020
  3. simrick Win User
    When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

Hi Wabbles and welcome to Tenforums.

I've got 4 systems connecting via wireless; all adapters are different makes; all have zero issues, and two of them are old (wireless-G only). Most every issue I have seen with wireless connections has been driver-related. (Or, impending router failure.) I would suggest identifying your adapter model/make, and searching for different drivers that you can try out. And, sometimes an older driver works better than a newer one (just had this issue on a system I was working on yesterday). Also, verify you have these same connection issues when connecting to different routers, just to rule that out.

simrick, Jul 14, 2020
  4. coffent Win User

Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't

1. Why does it show my wifi is connected when it isn't - Similar Threads - Why does show

2. My wifi is lost. Why isn't it showing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi is lost. Why isn't it showing?: Even in the setting there is no wifi option in Network & Internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-is-lost-why-isnt-it-showing/ed6acc3f-b537-4bf4-87bb-5030cc88edd3
  3. My wifi is lost. Why isn't it showing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My wifi is lost. Why isn't it showing?: Even in the setting there is no wifi option in Network & Internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-is-lost-why-isnt-it-showing/ed6acc3f-b537-4bf4-87bb-5030cc88edd3
  4. My wifi is lost. Why isn't it showing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My system isn't connecting to wifi, it not even showing wifi on/off option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system isn't connecting to wifi, it not even showing wifi on/off option: HP window 11, it connects and disconnect but for sometime now it not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-isnt-connecting-to-wifi-it-not-even/e45a9a1f-0da8-4001-b35b-e7179c671f7c
  6. My system isn't connecting to wifi, it not even showing wifi on/off option

My system isn't connecting to wifi, it not even showing wifi on/off option: HP window 11, it connects and disconnect but for sometime now it not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-isnt-connecting-to-wifi-it-not-even/e45a9a1f-0da8-4001-b35b-e7179c671f7c
  7. Why does my computer crash when connected to my home wifi?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer crash when connected to my home wifi?: My computer gives watchdog_violation blue screen error when connected to my home wifi and not my phones Hotspot. I went to a PC checkup to check my computer they said it's fine and downloaded windows again for me. But I still have the same problem.How do I fix this? Any...
  8. Why does my computer crash when connected to my home wifi?

Why does my computer crash when connected to my home wifi?: My computer gives watchdog_violation blue screen error when connected to my home wifi and not my phones Hotspot. I went to a PC checkup to check my computer they said it's fine and downloaded windows again for me. But I still have the same problem.How do I fix this? Any...
  9. Why does my computer crash when connected to my home wifi?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Why isn't my SSD showing in CHKDSK but does in my my BIOS?

Why isn't my SSD showing in CHKDSK but does in my my BIOS?: Hello,My laptop is failing to boot so I created an installation media via USB in an attempt to fix it. I can see my SSD in the bios when troubleshooting but when running CHKDSK via the advanced settings on the USB media I isn't there. I have checked dispart and the only dirve...