Windows 10: Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?

Discus and support Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? Copying files in Windows 7 was a breeze but has considerably slowed down in Windows 10. Why?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tdehan, Jun 30, 2020.

1. tdehan Win User

Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?

Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? Copying files in Windows 7 was a breeze but has considerably slowed down in Windows 10. Why? This issue is not happening on just one of my computers, it is happening on all 6! For example, I have 3 large hard drives in all 6 of my computers. I am presently copying about 1.5TB from one 6TB drive to another 6TB drive on one of my computers. Both drives are less than 50% full. Copying the 1.5TB of files from the D:/ drive to the E:/ drive has been in process for the past 2 days and it is only 52% complete saying that it will still take over a day to complete the copy.

Why is file copy in Windows 10 so slow?

How can one speed up the file copy process in Windows 10?

:)

tdehan, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 30, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 30, 2020
  4. veritrax Win User

why does it take so long to install windows updates to my laptop

why does it take so long to install windows updates to my laptop

veritrax, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Why does long

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?: When i use the Reset option from the Recovery menu in Settings, why does it take hours for Windows to reset, but when I use a bootable USB flash drive to install windows 10, I can format all partitions for just a few seconds?My question is why does "Resetting This PC" take so...
  4. Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?: When i use the Reset option from the Recovery menu in Settings, why does it take hours for Windows to reset, but when I use a bootable USB flash drive to install windows 10, I can format all partitions for just a few seconds?My question is why does "Resetting This PC" take so...
  5. Why does resetting Windows 10 take so long?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Why does windows update take so long?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does windows update take so long?: I have a Desktop computer, and on its Hard Drives, I have 3 Operating Sytems, 2 of them are Linux-based and Windows 10 is the third. Today I was on Windows to do a ZOOM meeting, and because Windows is not my daily OS, I went to shut windows and it said it had an update. so I...
  7. Why does Windows 10 take so long to update?

Why does Windows 10 take so long to update?: My wife handed me her Windows 10 laptop a fortnight ago and asked me why it wasn't performing. I haven't used a Windows based machine for ten years so this was new ground for me. After an hour or two I had discovered that it was trying to update to 20H2. So I left it alone...
  8. Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?: Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? I copied just under 10GB from my internal D:\ drive to my internal E:\ drive yesterday and it took over 6 hours! That's nuts! Both the D:\ and E:\ drives are each 6TB and both have more than 3TB of available space....
  9. Why does it take so long to update?

Why does it take so long to update?: I started a Windows update yesterday around 10:00 am Sunday. Let it run till this morning at 7:00 am and it said 3% last night when I went to bed and again 3% when I turned my laptop off. Why so long to update? I could see an hour or so but not close to 24 hours. Is...
  10. Why does startup take so long?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does startup take so long?: After I turned on my computer I finally saw the clock, after I saw my name and "welcome" without having to actually sign in. But I couldn't do anything for ten minutes. Not even turn off the speaker. Not even get anything to happen by clicking on the start button. Spotify...