Windows 10: Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?

Discus and support Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This started about a month ago on my Acer E5-576G Aspire laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Two SSD drives, 16GB ram. All drivers, including Nvidia... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JosephWhistler, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?

This started about a month ago on my Acer E5-576G Aspire laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Two SSD drives, 16GB ram. All drivers, including Nvidia GeForce and Intel drivers are up to date. Windows 10 updates and the system BIOS are also up to date.

When sleep mode is initiated, either by closing the laptop lid, or after 15 minutes of inactivity, the laptop does what I can only describe as a hard shutdown. The screen goes dark, the power goes off. I can only start the laptop back up by holding the power button for 15 seconds, then releasing it for a couple of seconds, then pressing/releasing the power button.

Any work that was running and on screen is gone. Nothing is saved.

Interestingly, there is also no longer a hibernate mode on the laptop. The option simply is not there.

Thank you for your help!

:)

JosephWhistler, Jan 29, 2020

2. Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Since two weeks my Dell laptop is shutting down every time when:

• Closing the laptop
    • Pressing the power button short
    • Manually via the Start Menu
    All these options are set to Sleep Mode and not Shut Down.

EgonMeijers, Jan 29, 2020
  3. TimXB Win User
    Laptop Shuts Down When it Enters Sleep Mode

Thanks for the reply, but the Power troubleshooter only came up with the solution to change my power plan. I changed it, but my laptop still won't sleep properly. It keeps doing a hard shut down. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TimXB, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?

Laptop Getting shut down when in sleep mode

hi,

there's been a little issue with my laptop's power settings, i suppose. My laptop gets shut down when i close my lid to put to sleep mode. however it doesn't gets shut down within 1 hour or so but gets shut after more than 4-5 hrs. this doesn't happen to
    my brothers laptop, his laptop stays in sleep mode and remains unaffected with the shutting down process.

can this be fixed?

thanks.

MilindGoel15, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode?

1. Why does Laptop do a hard shut-off on sleep mode? - Similar Threads - Why does Laptop

2. My PC is stuck in sleep mode and won't shut off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is stuck in sleep mode and won't shut off.: My PC boots up into sleep mode with no video signal, just a black screen. No fans turn on. Only ram LEDs turn on. Power button works for turning it on but won't turn off the system. Keyboard and mouse don't get power when plugged into back panel. Won't boot into windows....
  3. Sleep mode permently shuts off pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode permently shuts off pc: I recently got a new pc but I am having this one issue is when I put it to sleep mode and after the display shuts off the pc won’t fully turn on no matter what I do even hitting the power button so I’m forced to unplug and reply my pc is their any solution to this?...
  4. Sleep mode permently shuts off pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode permently shuts off pc: I recently got a new pc but I am having this one issue is when I put it to sleep mode and after the display shuts off the pc won’t fully turn on no matter what I do even hitting the power button so I’m forced to unplug and reply my pc is their any solution to this?...
  5. Computer Shuts Off While in Sleep Mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Shuts Off While in Sleep Mode?: Hello, Recently within the past week or so, my computer started to shut off from both sleep mode/hibernate after a period of time. I am using latest Windows 10 build, updated graphics drivers. Is there a reason this might be happening? Things I've tried troubleshooting...
  6. Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?: This is a really big problem. After a while in sleep mode, my laptop shuts down. How can I disable this? It’s really annoying. I has Windows 1909 update....
  7. Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?: This is a really big problem. After a while in sleep mode, my laptop shuts down. How can I disable this? It’s really annoying. I has Windows 1909 update. submitted by /u/andr74b [link] [comments]...
  8. Sleep Mode Wakes Up Then Shuts Off and Freezes

Sleep Mode Wakes Up Then Shuts Off and Freezes: About 2 weeks ago, I woke up my computer. The screen flashed on very briefly and then back off and freezes. I have to power the computer down and then turn it back on before I can get it to come on and stay on. I have troubleshooted all possible power settings I've found...
  9. Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode

Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode: After my computer enters sleep mode for some time it will automatically shut down or power off rather than just remaining in sleep mode. it is a Dell XPS Studio 9100 running Windows 10. I have checked power settings and can't find any obvious problems. Any ideas on solving...
  10. HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping: Morning everyone! I'm writing with a question about my mom's laptop which is running Windows 10. Up until yesterday morning, it would go to sleep after 20 minutes and wake back up with the move of the mouse or a keypress. Now, when it goes to sleep, it completely powers...