Windows 10: Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work?

Discus and support Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I first got windows 10, it was on a disk. The first time I upgraded my motherboard, I had an issue with activating windows since newer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jusjohn55, Nov 22, 2020.

1. jusjohn55 Win User

Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work?

When I first got windows 10, it was on a disk. The first time I upgraded my motherboard, I had an issue with activating windows since newer motherboards don't really support disk drives. I was able to show Microsoft support that I had the disk and they were able to re activate the account. The man told me to then link my account so that I would carry that key to the account itself. It even said that "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account". Today, I just upgraded my motherboard after 3 years of holding off on upgrading. I sign into my Microsoft account and it says "Activate Windows". I contact support, I try to click that "Hardware change", nothing worked. I just had to re buy the Windows 10 Home Edition on their store and now it says my "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". Is this true though? Because this did not work last time. Is there a proper way to link my account?

:)

jusjohn55, Nov 22, 2020

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work? [​IMG]

MCardona81, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Hello Steve, and welcome to Ten Forums. Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work? :)

What build of Windows 10 do you currently have installed?

*Arrow https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...mber-find.html

Starting in build 14371, if you see this part highlighted in yellow below in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation from step 7 in the tutorial posted above, then the PC's digital license is linked to your MSA.

Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work? [​IMG]

Brink, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work?

How do I manage the link between a Windows 10 license and a Microsoft account?

This is an answer to your first question: See which Microsoft account the license is linked to.

There is no direct way to show to which account a digital license is bound to. The account device list of the Microsoft account cannot be trusted: If I add another (non admin) user with a Microsoft account to my machine, the name of the computer will be added in the device list of the new account, too. Certainly, the digital license of my computer is still bound to my (admin) account and not to the new user.

Therfore you have to check the list of digital licenses in every Microsoft account you own.

The only method I know to list digital licenses bound to a Microsoft account is to try to transfer them to a new, "unknown" hardware. "Unknown" means, that on this hardware Windows 10 has not been installed before. "Try" means just to begin the transfer process until the last step and not to finish the activation process.

This new, "unknown" hardware can be a real hardware (new mainboard) or a virtual hardware (e.g. VMware virtual machine). It's important to note that the fingerprint of this hardware shall not exist in the database of Micrsoft's activation servers. Otherwise the hardware will be activated automatically and you won't get a chance to transfer a different digital license to it because it already has a digital license. The transfer process won't get offered.

My method for Windows 10 b1607 is as follows:

• Create a new virtual machine (VM)
    • Install Windows 10 without any product key (the edition does not matter, Home or Pro, x86 or x64)
    • Try to activate the VM
    • Enter the windows activation dialog where it is possible to transfer your digital licenses to this VM ("Troubleshoot", "I changed hardware on this device recently")
    • Enter your Microsoft account credentials of the account which you want to check
    • Now you get a list ("Reactivate Windows", "Select this device from below") of devices which are bound to your Microsoft account and which have a digital license and which are in the same "device class" as your current device (the VM). This device list is the first part of the whole list of digital licenses of the account. "Device classes" are e. g. laptops, standalone PCs or virtual machines. In my opinion virtual machines are separated in different device classes, too (VMware, Oracle, etc.)
    • To see the second part of the list of your digital licenses you have to list all devices which do not match the current VM, i.e. which belong to a different device class. Click on the link at the bottom of this page: "See other devices linked to your Microsoft account". Now you get the second part of the list of your digital licenses which belong to devices that cannot be transferred ("Device type does not match", Edition does not match")

This whole process seems to be reliable in respect to list my own digital licenses which I bound to different Microsoft accounts. However, some devices of the second list ("We can't reactivate Windows from these devices" ) migrated after some days to the first list ("devices which can be activated"). But this does not matter as the device entries stay the same.

And of course there is no guarantee that devices which are shown in the first list can be reactivated with the device with which you are currently checking the license. E.g. when I check with my virtual machine I also get some digital licenses in the first list which belong to a different device class (e.g. standalone PC). I am sure that a transfer from a license like this to a VM would not work in reality.

Thorsten Albrecht, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work?

1. Why does linking my license with my Microsoft account not work? - Similar Threads - Why does linking

2. Can my digital license linked with microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can my digital license linked with microsoft account?: My laptop has Windows 10 Pro. On resetting the OS, it asked me to enter product key. But after logging into my Microsoft account, the "Activation" area shows that my device is using the digital license associated with my Microsoft account. So, I wanted to know whether this...
  3. Can my digital license linked with microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can my digital license linked with microsoft account?: My laptop has Windows 10 Pro. On resetting the OS, it asked me to enter product key. But after logging into my Microsoft account, the "Activation" area shows that my device is using the digital license associated with my Microsoft account. So, I wanted to know whether this...
  4. Can my digital license linked with microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?: Hi! I have an asus laptop which i did a clean install of Windows 11 at one point. It came with Windows 10 when i bought it.I just realized today that when i go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices i can see 2 identical devices with the same laptop same serial number but...
  6. Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confirming Digital License Linked to My Account?: Hi! I have an asus laptop which i did a clean install of Windows 11 at one point. It came with Windows 10 when i bought it.I just realized today that when i go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices i can see 2 identical devices with the same laptop same serial number but...
  7. Volume license linked with my microsoft account

Volume license linked with my microsoft account: Hi Team,I purchased windows 10 license from some website.They sell this key in half price, after that I login in my microsoft account then this key bind with my microsoft account.After that I get to know this is volume key.So I have below questions.If this volume key is...
  8. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  9. Is my Windows license still linked to my Microsoft account?

Is my Windows license still linked to my Microsoft account?: I purchased a Windows key from a 3rd party and activated Windows. I linked my MS account to it as well. Later on there was a problem due to which I had to re-install Windows. I made a local account and I'm still using it. I did not link my MS account this time. Windows got...
  10. Windows License linked to my Microsoft account

Windows License linked to my Microsoft account: Hello. Im in the process of rebuilding a new PC. Only 1 thing was gonna be brought forward and it was my 1 TB seagate drive and well .. my dog chewed and slobbered on it for 8 hours while i was at work and its literally unusable i lost everything. Im a novice in this world...