Windows 10: Why does MBR2GPT say I have 4 partitions when I only have 2?

Discus and support Why does MBR2GPT say I have 4 partitions when I only have 2? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to convert my MBR drive to GPT, but every time I try it doesn't work, and when I look at the report in the windows folder it says I have 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by qd22k, Sep 14, 2021.

1. qd22k Win User

Why does MBR2GPT say I have 4 partitions when I only have 2?

I'm trying to convert my MBR drive to GPT, but every time I try it doesn't work, and when I look at the report in the windows folder it says I have 4 partitions, when I only have 2 in the drive I am trying to convert. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

qd22k, Sep 14, 2021

2. MBR2GPT

I also think so.

Windows upgrade 1903 automatically created a 450 mb recovery partition which I had to delete as mbr2gpt don't work with more than 3 primary partition.

So, do I need to create a recovery partition now to get mbr2gpt work?

I have already tried what you told. It says something like "can't enable win re service "

HarshitChaudharyGurjar, Sep 14, 2021
  3. scott1326 Win User
    mbr2gpt error: Unrecognized partition found, index 2

Thank you both for your suggestions. Unfortunately, before I could start, my pc quit booting, showing a NTFS file system error.

Any idea why disk manager shows 3 partitions and mbr2gpt shows 4?

Thanks again, will repost when/if I am ever successful.

scott1326, Sep 14, 2021
  4. Megahertz Win User

mbr2gpt error: Unrecognized partition found, index 2

Welcome to the Forum

On disk 1 you have 4 partitions
    Partition 0 and partition 3 are unknown type (probably from Linux)
    Boot from the rescue disk and run MiniTool partition to see what you have on them. (Windows disk manger doesn't show Linux partitions)

You only use mbr2gpt to convert a Windows boot able Legacy-MBR drive into a UEFI-GPT.
    So you can only apply mbr2gpt to drive 1. Your BIOS MUST be able to boot as UEFI-GPT.

To convert Disk 0 and Disk 2 my suggestion is to use MiniTool Partition Wizard (Is also on the rescue disk)

This is what I would do:
    Make a Kyhi rescue disk . Download the iso file, format a 2G USB flash drive as Fat32, make the partition active, mount the iso and copy all files and folders to the 2G USB flash drive.

Detach disk 0 and disk 2 from the MB (SATA or Power cable)
    Boot from rescue disk as UEFI and with MiniTool partition delete partition 0 and partition 3.
    Convert drive 1 to UEFI-GPT using Brink tutorial
    (open a CMD window and type: mbr2gpt /convert)

Any change in partition is a risky task. Make sure you have all your data baked up on another drive. Better make a drive 1 image using Macrium Reflect (also on the rescue disk)

Megahertz, Sep 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Why does MBR2GPT say I have 4 partitions when I only have 2? - Similar Threads - Why does MBR2GPT

2. Why in Disk Management does it show3 disk when I only have 2?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why in Disk Management does it show3 disk when I only have 2?: I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 I have 2 SSD. When I look at Disk Management it says I have 3. Why? How can I change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-in-disk-management-does-it-show3-disk-when-i/0812e7eb-5f39-4e6f-9bb4-5cb8292be94e
  3. Why in Disk Management does it show3 disk when I only have 2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why in Disk Management does it show3 disk when I only have 2?: I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 I have 2 SSD. When I look at Disk Management it says I have 3. Why? How can I change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-in-disk-management-does-it-show3-disk-when-i/0812e7eb-5f39-4e6f-9bb4-5cb8292be94e
  4. Why in Disk Management does it show3 disk when I only have 2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. why does it say i have to but it agian?

why does it say i have to but it agian?: So i bought minecraft 2 time already to play it but sometimes i take a long break from it but after i come back to minecraft it tells me that i don't have the game and i have to buy it game, btw i bought the game 2 times because i had the same issue everytime....
  6. why does it say i have to but it agian?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does it say i have to but it agian?: So i bought minecraft 2 time already to play it but sometimes i take a long break from it but after i come back to minecraft it tells me that i don't have the game and i have to buy it game, btw i bought the game 2 times because i had the same issue everytime....
  7. Why does my pc indicate i have 2 monitors, when I only have one?

Why does my pc indicate i have 2 monitors, when I only have one?: After i reinstalled the graphics driver my pc was behaving as if i had two monitors, also in display adapter. the annoying part is that i cannot set the resolution to the max anymore for some reason. please someone suggest what to do that doesn't require reinstalling graphics...
  8. Why does my pc indicate i have 2 monitors, when I only have one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my pc indicate i have 2 monitors, when I only have one?: After i reinstalled the graphics driver my pc was behaving as if i had two monitors, also in display adapter. the annoying part is that i cannot set the resolution to the max anymore for some reason. please someone suggest what to do that doesn't require reinstalling graphics...
  9. Why does my pc indicate i have 2 monitors, when I only have one?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. I have 4 cores but task manager says I have 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have 4 cores but task manager says I have 2: According to device manager, I have 4 cores, but my task manger says I only have 2. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-4-cores-but-task-manager-says-i-have-2/74b785af-cbb4-4edd-9e0e-86cc5960d1fd