Windows 10: Why does Microsoft Photos App stop importing photos?

Discus and support Why does Microsoft Photos App stop importing photos? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have read many posts about problems importing into the Photos App in Windows 10, but none of the answers work for me and my problem seems different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mark_163, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mark_163 Win User

Why does Microsoft Photos App stop importing photos?

I have read many posts about problems importing into the Photos App in Windows 10, but none of the answers work for me and my problem seems different (kind of).

I have a Dell 9020 computer with a quad Core i5, 120GB SSD and 8GB of RAM (not that this should make any difference)

It came with Windows 10 pre-installed, but I immediately formatted it and installed Windows 10 Pro 1809 (yes, I know the buggy one)

I have 10,000 photos/videos on a Synology NAS, which I am trying to import into the Photos app. I click "Import - from a folder" and enter the share name and select the top folder that I wish to import, computer chugs away and photos appear. After a few minutes the network traffic changes from 25-30 Mbps to about 7 Mbps, photos have stopped importing and the app is now indexing items for searching, which takes about 1.5 hours to complete. I then notice in the folders view some folders are completely empty, just the usual "No readable photos, videos or folders found" which is garbage because the photos can be opened in the Photos app to view. Upon further investigation other folders are incomplete and some contain all items. I select all photos in the Collection view and total items selected is 5022 out of 10,768, WTF! Also, why does the App not have total items, why the need to select all photos??? Not even a Select All checkbox, have to select first item then scroll to bottom and Shift-select last item, again WTF!

After many hours of resetting the App and starting again and changing permissions on the files (added SYSTEM full control as other posts have suggested), I have worked out that if I close the Photo App and open it again, it starts importing more photos, 50 to be exact and then stops and indexes those 50 photos and gives up, until I close and open the App, over and over and over and over, I believe approx. 100 times will be required to import the other 5000 photos (anyone got a trained monkey pleased send to me to complete this task, Thanks)

I have also cleaned out all other files, eg tmp, thumbs.db, 0 KB files etc. All files are jpg and avi

I have also been very patient and waited hours, also left it for days and no more photos import until the close and open trick is performed. Gotta love software that needs tricks to work.

I have also copied a few dozen photos that did not import to local disk and they import. I copied the same photos to another location on the NAS and they also import, so it is not a problem with the files or permissions.

I am unable to find any logging or error messages to make things easier to troubleshoot.

Come on Microsoft this has been a problem since 2015!

:)

Mark_163, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Javo Win User
    iPhone Photos import to Windows 10 PC not working

I would like to troubleshoot my inability to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. I am an advanced user struggling to find relevant help on the internet since most results are unusable masked adverts for paid third party software.

I want to use it the following way

1. connect iPhone via USB to my Windows 10 PC
    2. open Microsoft "Photos" app
    3. click in the upper right on import > add from the device over USB
    4. select all photos and click import

4th step is where it fails, with no usable message.

• I have set the device as trusted on iPhone
    • I mostly don't see it in My Computer, therefore I cannot just copy
    • I tried uninstalling every driver and iTunes software
    • Despite not being visible in Windows Explorer, iTunes can always access the contents with no issue
    • it has a tiny moments when it starts working, but overall import fails sooner or later and never copies all 3k photos. Mostly MSPhotos don't show any content, just failure message, sometimes it shows it's content and acts as I can select what to import, but as described fails sooner or later
    • iTunes can successfully copy entire phone.

Other attempts
    • I tried multiple free 3rd party SW, all of them either failed or seemed like to be usable only after buying their extended version
    • I tried using iTunes for Syncing the Photos
      • I maybe don't know how to use it, or it is faulty too. But I've set the directory where my Photos should be synced, but sync seems to just backup the phone and creates tiny 'Photo Database file', but no photo actually gets copied onto PC.

Javo, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Windows 10 Photos - Importing from iPhone no longer sees previously imported photos.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

The Photos app in Windows 10 usually is able to distinguish the new photos and duplicates. This concern could be caused by incorrect settings or corrupted files. Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Reset Microsoft Store.

I would suggest you to reset Microsoft Store initially, and sign in to Store and check for latest updates related to Store. After installing the latest updates, you may try to import pictures.

Step 2: Uninstall Photos app via PowerShell and then install it.

If the Photos app causes an error, you can repair it using PowerShell.

• Click Start, type powershell, right-click Windows Powershell and choose
      Run as Administrator.

• Execute the following command and press
      Enter: Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

After uninstalling the Photos app, you may go to Store and re-install the application.

Additional Information: You may also go through the article provided by
    Andre Da Costa on importing your
    Photos in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Why does Microsoft Photos App stop importing photos? - Similar Threads - Why does Microsoft

2. How to organize photos *to be imported* in the Photos app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to organize photos *to be imported* in the Photos app.: The most recent update to the Photos app has caused me a bit of a headache. In the older version not sure what version exactly when I would upload photos from my phone to the Photos application - the images would appear in chronological order from the most recent to the...
  3. How to organize photos *to be imported* in the Photos app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to organize photos *to be imported* in the Photos app.: The most recent update to the Photos app has caused me a bit of a headache. In the older version not sure what version exactly when I would upload photos from my phone to the Photos application - the images would appear in chronological order from the most recent to the...
  4. Does Windows Photos App provide the quantity/number of photos imported?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows Photos App provide the quantity/number of photos imported?: I have 75,000 photos in my Picture Folder. The Photos app appears to have fewer than several thousand. Is there any method available that counts the photos in the "People" tab to compare and verify?...
  5. Does Windows Photos App provide the quantity/number of photos imported?

Does Windows Photos App provide the quantity/number of photos imported?: I have 75,000 photos in my Picture Folder. The Photos app appears to have fewer than several thousand. Is there any method available that counts the photos in the "People" tab to compare and verify?...
  6. Photo app does not scroll when trying to import photos

Photo app does not scroll when trying to import photos: I can only see the first 10 photos. I want to be able to scroll down so that I can select photos to import. There is no scroll bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-does-not-scroll-when-trying-to-import/0fc08875-fa5f-4062-92e4-c17b3009ad17
  7. cannot import photos with the windows photos app

cannot import photos with the windows photos app: hello, so the photos app earlier used to work fine. now it fails to import photos 1) the pc does not recognise my apple iphone instantly,(new one has this problem too, so i can confirm it is not just because of the iphone) but rather takes time to recognise it's folders....
  8. Photos App crashes when importing photos

Photos App crashes when importing photos: I recently got a new PC and when i am trying to import my photos from my Iphone Xs max, the app freezes to '3081 items found so far" and all i want are my photos on my pc. Can someone please help...
  9. Photos app not importing

Photos app not importing: Ive used the photos app in the past and its worked all the time. Now whenever i try to import photos from my iphone and ipad it says “something went wrong”. It does not have an error code. i have tried changing the port that the cable is in, ive changed the cables, ive...
  10. Microsoft Photos app not importing video

Microsoft Photos app not importing video: Could someone please help me with the video project feature in Photos? It will allow me to import photos into my project but no video clips. I am using .file type that it purportedly accepts (.avi) and have tried others as well. I have tried to do it from a file landed on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when importing pictures stop

2. MS Photos stopped importing pictures

3. microsoft photo freezes when importing

4. why does windows photos keep stopping import,
  5. why does screen freeze while importing pictures,
  6. why does it stop importing my photos after 10 photos,
  7. stopped importingphotos why?,
  8. why does importing photos halt,
  9. problems importing photos from iphone to microsoft photos,
  10. pictures arent importing from phone to microsoft photos,
  11. why does my computer freeze whie importing photos,